Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.9)

Post by mango » Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks great tool, I just want to let you know what happened when I tried to convert my SotS1 disc galaxy map "Tethys 120B" see sig, in case there is any advice you can give me or tweaks you want to make.

The sots1 maps are basic lists of XYZ, and mine are ordered by distance to map center 0,0,0 (by sqroot of sum of squared coords). When the converter creates terrain regions, it takes the first 23 central stars and places them in a region, then it takes the remaining 87 and put them in a region which is displaced by about 36 units from the center of the map. The result is that it rips the rim from the galaxy and sticks it onto one side of the central ball. This presumably affects how node lines are drawn so I cannot simply set the displaced terrain coordinates to zero as it will result in weird nodelines stretching across the map as well as overwritten region names.

Am currently trying to work out how to edit a region out and failing.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Thu May 16, 2013 5:18 pm

I haven't touched the converter in a very long time, but this sounds like a familiar bug related to terrain region forming. I don't have a lot of time right now, but I did find a potential bug while skimming through it. Please let me know if this solves the problem, otherwise I'll have to dig deeper during the weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by mango » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Yes you did fix it, problem solved, I have just generated and tested the same map successfully using your beta. Brilliant! Many thanks, very kind of you.

It will give me personal satisfaction to convert my old maps though the truth is the disc generator you made is very good and produces nicely spaced maps with a natural feel just like the ones which I used to slave over for hours, at the drop of a hat, which is great. Improves the replayability potential immensely.

Thanks again.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 am

No problem, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad it was an easy fix. I should probably make a proper release of it...
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Minor update 1.9b released:
  • Fixed terrain tearing bug in prime converter.
  • Maximum number of systems now overridable in config file.
  • #Guids.txt is no longer used and can be deleted if you have it.

barronosod

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Post by barronosod » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:25 pm

One silly question, is there a list of recommended map settings/sizes anywhere? I'm kind of seeking a smaller map with lots of empires. I'm not sure if this is doable, or if the AI will be thrown into chaos.

Actually on that note, let me ask for a bit of quick advice. I wonder if I'm playing the game wrong in a sense. Most of my wars consist of simple boarder skirmishes, and AI invasions that I can usually thwart fairly easily. I do notice that any empires caught in the middle of the map usually end up decimated, and the remaining empires stay pretty far from each other from there on out. I'll up the difficulty (and probably get my butt handed to me), but is there anything that comes to mind that you guys do (game setup wise) to create some heavy conflict? I seek blood, either theirs or mine.

Thanks all

Wilder

Post by Wilder » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:40 am

So I got the file (1.9b from first post), extracted it, it runs fine and lets me set all variables to any number I want to use on the sliders, but when I press the create starmap button it says 'failed to write galaxy to file' every time, no matter how small or large the map is, nor even which type of galaxy it is.
:?

any ideas?

romancerX

Post by romancerX » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 am

Thank you for your Galaxy Generator. :D

patpup

Post by patpup » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks a lot! Your tool fixed one of the biggest problem I had with SotS2.
Very nicely done.

Tarantar

Post by Tarantar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 am

the generator not found the regionnames.txt-files, if it start. give for this problem a solution.

Lisohvost

Post by Lisohvost » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 am

How to open the generator, there are no exe files. :?:

Return to “Modding”