Vanilla AI Enhancement - VAE - Alpha Release - V6

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Vanilla AI Enhancement - VAE - Alpha Release

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am

I don't think I can do anything about missing event pictures.

The Loa AI would require more indepth testing, though I suspect the only way to get them to prototype stuff would be to either give them Rapid Prototyping from the start or altering their prototype costs. Fairly sure that's the only reason why they ain't doing it. Cube limits may also be a factor since the AI rarely can handle those.

Morrigi is more serious since the only way I can fix them is to drastically break from 'vanilla' and disable the Grav ships while buffing their flock and normal FTL speeds. There's no AI tag to make them always put a Grav ship inside their fleets unlike the Zuul with the Bore ships.

Its just difficult for me to personally test AI in stock settings due to how... uhm... used to Project Hiver I am - I get impatient quickly with the base game. :(

EDIT - What I'll do is see what I can do in PH for them and see if I can translate that into VAE. But it means the 'vanilla' moniker will be even less accurate than it already is.

Double edit - If possible, could I get a save with an early (about turn 50) Morrigi AI, and a save with a late game Loa? I'd like to see what they can reach before I make any major alterations.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Testing a second game, this time without LOA. What it's very clear now, playing against Very Difficult IA, is that Tarkas are very, very, very overpowered. In my first test I already noticed this but in this second test it's like hell: they rush everything, destroying any fleet, colony and station they find in their way without opposition. I cannot keep up with them, for every fleet I destroy Tarkas strikes back with 2 o 3 more combat fleets. Very difficult to defend against an enemy so overpowered. I cannot keep up their pace, my fleets take a lot of losses and I cannot replace them quickly enough to defend every turn, not enough money and not enough time to lick my wounds.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 am

Try turning down your difficulty.

I think the mod has basically made it so that difficulty means SOMETHING now. That's a good thing.

The Tarka aren't overpowered, they are the simplest race to play and as such the easiest for the AI to play. Their FTL system is very straightforward. At hard difficulty, they can be managed. Very hard will likely be nightmarish.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 am

Yep, I will try turning down the difficulty but it's a good sign :)

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am

Indeed. If Rossinna can tweak the Morrigi to be a bit more efficient at FTL then I think they could also be a good contender for a strong race. The Hivers were decent in the base game but I found they had a habit of NOT using their gate networks to move fleets to vulnerable systems when enemy fleets were incoming and for some reason did not recolonize planets that were wiped by the enemy.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm reinstalling SOTS2 right now since I didn't make a full install backup copy of VAE, so its taking more time than usual. Good thing I don't have to worry about download caps anymore, though once its done, I'll copy the install so I can just swap VAE and PH around at will.

There's a few things I want to revisit for V5.
First, Morrigi FTL travel. I am going to 'remove' Grav boats and the Grav bonuses (which are merely the FleetSpeed modifier in the ship sections) and tweak the flock bonuses and FTL engine speeds each of the three kinds of drives provide. I know this is quite a large change from vanilla, but the goal is to help the AI and the Morrigi either never fields grav boats which slows them down terribly or they fill half their fleet up with them, making them not terribly effective combatants. (Note: I am open to other ideas for them, since I'll be working on other things first.)

Second, Loa. Due to the above, I also believe lowering cube costs when deploying NPG gates, making NPG gates cheaper and doubling the cube limit should help the AI. The alternative is to more or less remove the cube limit, but not sure about that yet. The AI is not capable of merging fleets like players can while using the Loa and that's a huge disadvantage for them.

Hivers, I'm going to take another look at their fleet templates to see if they are producing enough gate and construction fleets. I may wind up increasing the cost of gate stations by 25% and lowering the cost of the gate ship section by 25%.

Zuul, this is more of a personal tweak but I'm increasing their FTL speeds to match Solforce and having node bore fleets speed only get reduced to 75% instead of I think 66%? I'm also doubling their chances of getting salvage.

I'm not sure if Liir or Solforce need any additional help as of yet, and its clear that I don't need to near the Tarkas.

Psionics is also the other thing I wish to look at alongside the CE Laser and other stuff which is usually broken, but not entirely sure on that yet.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Right. V5 is up, can be found in the opening post.

Code: Select all

---------
VERSION 5 LOG

Revised AI Fleet numbers in regards to construction ship fleets.
Increased max number of Gate fleets the Hiver AI is willing to maintain.
Balanced out Hiver AI's Gate fleet numbers so they no longer only want two fleets during a time of war. Prevents AI from refusing to build more gates.
Changed Hiver's 'Small Gate' fleet into a larger fleet template which has three gate ships instead of one.
Revised AI Fleet desirability for Colonisation fleets.
Added two new templates for Colonisation fleets.
Increased max number of Colonisation fleets that the AI can attain.
Added in new 'experimental' template which has both colony and construction ships and can perform both fleet roles.

Zuul Nodebore fleet slowdown decreased from 34% to 25%. (Means Zuul fleets travel at 75% max speed instead of 66%.)
Zuul Population growth speed changed to 200% from 180%.
Zuul Salvage chances doubled.
Zuul now puts more income into fleet construction than research.
Zuul Star Tear now places ships further away from the sun, hopefully should prevent ships from being scattered to oblivion.

Hiver global fleet supply modifier increased to 200% from 150%. (Aids AI due to their ballistic preference.)
Hiver Gate section cost decreased to 10000 from 17000. (AI gets hesitant to keep building new gate fleets if the gate ship is too expensive.)
Hiver Gate section production cost decreased to 1500 from 2200. (Production cost is how long the ship takes to build. Lower numbers mean it gets built faster.)
Initial Hiver Gate Station cost (Gateway) cost increased to 100000 from 80000. (To balance out the cheaper Gate ships.)

Loa Cube\Mass Limits doubled.
Standard: 140000 from 70000
Standing Pulse Waves: 300000 from 150000
Mass Induction Projectors: 600000 from 300000
Loa NGP gates cost lowered - should require less cubes.

Morrigi Grav Boats have wondered off into the unexplored area within the center of the galaxy which for some reason doesn't contain a super massive black hole... or does it?
Morrigi Grav Boats now require Reflect tech to be researched. Reflect is a disabled tech due to it being only used by Suul'ka. This means Grav Boats can no longer be researched or used.
Morrigi Grav Boats which were already in existance or were designed are not impacted for save game compatibility.
Morrigi Flock speed values altered:
Base Max Flock Speed increased to 4.5LY a turn. Grav Synergy research increases this limit to 9LY a turn.
Each Cruiser in a fleet increases fleet speed by .25LY a turn up to the limit above.
Each Dreadnought in a fleet increases fleet speed by .75LY a turn up to the limit above.
Each Leviathan in a fleet increases fleet speed by 1.75LY a turn up to the limit above.
A maximum of 20 cruisers can contribute to the flock speed increase.
A maximum of 8 dreadnoughts can contribute to the flock speed increase.
A maximum of 3 leviathans can contribute to the flock speed increase.
These numbers are subject to change.

Doomsayer tech now provides 100% chance on warning of the arrival of a Grand Menace.
Scientific Prolepsis now makes feasability studies 99% closer to the real chance of success instead of 50% closer.
Anagathics now doubles the lifetime\Career of an admiral instead of increasing it by 20%.
AI Autonomy now reduces AI bonuses by 25% instead of 50%.
Replicants now double population growth up until its limit is reached. Morale penalty still exists.
Deep Survey Sensors now reduce survey time by 75% instead of 50%.
Vacuum Preservation now increases ship supply ratings by 25% instead of 10%. Still provides bonuses to Warehouse modules.
Tunneling Sensors bonus to Naval and Science station sensor range increased to 10% from 5%.

Stealth Armor signature reduction increased to 150 from 50 to make it worthwhile.
SDB CP cost decreased to 1 from 3.
Drone Sat CP cost increased to 2 from 1.
BR sat CP cost decreased to 2 from 3.
The VN now have a galactic icon so are visible on the strategic map if their fleets or homeworld is detected.
Slavers now have a galactic icon so are visible on the strategic map if their fleet is detected.
Pirates now have a galactic icon so are visible on the strategic map if their fleet no longer has a pirate base.

Diplomatic Relations are now less volatile.
Relations needed for postitive reactions increased.
Relations needed for negative reactions 'increased'.
Neutral\No Opinion relations area increased.
War now lowers relations regardless of who initated it.

Homeworld Tax income increased to 300% from 200%. (Its not that much, but helps on smaller maps.)
Relationship bonus from destroying a Pirate base increased to 75 from 50, but will really anger any Zuul factions.
Doubled Savings reward per destroyed pirate ship when they raid your systems.
Quadrupled Savings reward if you capture or destroy trade ships while engaging in your own piracy missions. (Still probably isn't worth it though.)
Pirate Base Max ships decreased to 15 from 20.
Pirate Base Min ships increasd to 10 from 5.
Pirate Base piracy range increased to 20LY from 10LY.
AI Pirate fleets engaging in a raid min number to 2 from 1.
AI Pirate fleets engaging in a raid max number to 4 from 5.
Factional Piracy due to being too close to a Zuul player range decreased to 7LY from 10LY.
Factional Piracy due to being too close to a Zuul player Piracy chance decreased to 10% from 20%.
Base chance of Piracy occuring at all set to 1% from 2%.
Base chance of Piracy while within 20LY of a Pirate base increased to 50%.
Naval Station presence reduces piracy rate by 5% from 2%.
Having no Naval Station with a Civilian Station increases Piracy rate by 5% from 2%.
Police anti-piracy ability increased to 2% from 1% per police vessel.

AI Rebellion chances decreased to 0.5% per turn from 1% per turn.
AI Rebellion now takes 20% of your worlds if it strikes.
Locust Mothership cost increased to 10000 from 5000.
Minimum resources for Locusts to wish to spawn in a system reduced to 10000 from 20000.
VN Collector Mothership resource cost decreased to 2500 from 5000.
VN now starts with enough resources to construct another Collector Mothership if it is destroyed.
VN will now do a salvage (resource) raid with a Collector Mothership every 5 turns if it has one remaining. (was 10)
VN will do a combat encounter against other factions every 25 turns if anyone has angered them. (Was 10)
Proteans are less picky about the systems they may be encountered in.
There is now only one Morrigi Tomb within any specific encounter.
Number of Morrigi Drones from the Tombs increased to 125 from 50.
Research Bonus from destroying a Morrigi Tomb increased to 25% for 1 turn from 10% for 1 turn.
Research Bonus from capturing a Morrigi Tomb increased to 25% for 4 turns from 10% for 5 turns.
Savings Bonus for destroying or capturing a Morrigi Tomb increased to 250000 from 50000.
Spectre crew damage increased.
Spectre population damage to planets decreased.
Slaver Fleets now contain two Scavenger ships and between 4 and 8 Wraith Abductors.
Supernova chance reduced to 1% per turn from 5%.
Supernova can no longer occur until turn 200 from turn 100.
Supernova blast radius increased from 7LY to 25LY.
Supernova minimum time until explosion increased from 5 turns to 10.
Supernova maximum time until explosion increased from 10 to 25.
Unprotected systems within the range of a Supernova will lose 25000 biosphere from 50.
Unprotected systems within range of a Supernova CH rating will only increase by 5, instead of between 50 and 200. (This is to prevent a huge swath of the galaxy from being unusable.)
Number of Meteors halved.
Damage done by Meteors impacting a planet rebalanced so each size has a different effect.
Larger Meteors impacting a planet now provides more resources.
Swarm Growth Rate curtailed. Must be something in the asteroids.

Random Menaces no longer start until turn 50 from 25.
Grand Menaces no longer start until turn 125 from 100.
Chance of a Grand Menace occuring from 10% per turn from 5%.
Odds of a random encounter while playing in Singeplayer mode decreased to 10% increase from 20%.

Large Combat Threshold to 100 from 15. Should allow AI vs AI autoresolve to occur far, far more often.
It is a lot larger than I was planning, but almost all of this I should have done anyway.

The change to Morrigi is highly experimental and I'm fairly sure that feedback will be needed to see if they are too fast\slow and how their FTL scales into the later game.
I did test V5, but as usual, there's simply not enough time for me to do a 500 turn match to ensure everything is working flawlessly.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 pm

I'll test V5 out since I am barely a few turns into my current game.

I would suggest not to touch Liir YET. I recall that in Vanilla they were decent enough and their only major weakness was some poor weapon choices as time went on.

I have been thinking about the Morrigi and I really can't see a very elegant way to solve their issues apart from what you suggested. I've been on the fence about Grav Boats since SOTS I so I really don't think I'll miss them. Unless the CnC ship inherits the grav boat properties, I don't think there is much of a choice. And I think you mentioned that there was an issue with that when it came to dread CnCs.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Well that's disappointing... I realize there may be an issue with AI using gravboats, but how can a vanilla patch create a SOTS universe without them :(

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks for the new update. I'll test out the new version sometime this weekend. I'll try to get to those saves to ya so can keep checking on your changes. I think I will try a slightly smaller map this time and try out the very hard difficulty.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:22 am

willdieh wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 pm
Well that's disappointing... I realize there may be an issue with AI using gravboats, but how can a vanilla patch create a SOTS universe without them :(
Like I said, I am open to other ways to solve the Morrigi AI's FTL issue. Perhaps there's some way I've not considered.
Most of the other solutions either allowed players to build the boats while the AI could not (which is not optimal) or had issues with limitless scaling due to how the grav effect (Fleetspeed modifier) works.

If it is truly an issue, the Morrigi FTL changes that I've already implemented could be separated into their own download. I think that should be do-able as its only three files; albeit one of those happens to be the CommonAssets file.

PS. Gravboats only boost fleet speed. They don't have the other effects that they used to in SOTS Prime; hostile ships move just as fast\slow as they always do. Probably something that wasn't yet implemented in the code. (And if it was... I've not noticed it and can't find any reference to it.)

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 am

I still say leave them the heck out. One more space for a cruiser in the fleet.

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 am

I understand than new version is not compatible with saves played with the old one.

Thanks

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:54 am

Haplo_Patryn wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 am
I understand than new version is not compatible with saves played with the old one.

Thanks
It should be compatible. Many things may not work but it shouldn't crash the game.

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks Rossinna. Playing another game from restart, I've noted that loading times between turns with the new patch are larger. The issue here is that I'm playing the same map that before (last builds of your mod), with the same specs/victory conditions/menaces, etc. I'm not sure if this could be caused by something in the new patch.

It's only turn 25-30, that's why I think is weird.

Ok, more data. Morrigi doesn't defend their colonies well, I don't see combat fleets, only scouts and colonies fleets.

Return to “Modding”