Modding Picture of the day...

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Modding Picture of the day.

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Slashman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 pm
Yeah just do you for now RS. You're not the only one active in this thread.
While that may be the case, I've kinda claimed most of it. :noid:

Just pledged $100 for no reward - If the KS does get over its goal, perhaps in return someone at Kerb could slip me some advice or a fix for the cloaking Framerate problems for SOTS2? :love: (More accurate, any applied mesh effect such as psionics like Empathy and cloaking causes a large hit to FPS to the point that its unplayable in some cases.)
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Slashman

Re: Modding Picture of the day.

Post by Slashman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:29 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:23 pm
Slashman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 pm
Yeah just do you for now RS. You're not the only one active in this thread.
While that may be the case, I've kinda claimed most of it. :noid:

Just pledged $100 for no reward - If the KS does get over its goal, perhaps in return someone at Kerb could slip me some advice or a fix for the cloaking Framerate problems for SOTS2? :love: (More accurate, any applied mesh effect such as psionics like Empathy and cloaking causes a large hit to FPS to the point that its unplayable in some cases.)
Good stuff! Let's hope we push it over the line!
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Modding Picture of the day...

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Well the KS was a success. No message on how to fix cloaking from the devs though. :(

But that's fine, I doubt its something I could do on my end anyway.

-----
So its been a while since I've posted here. To be flatly honest: I lost interest. Since a public forum isn't a place to discuss mental issues, lets just say that between having my power cut for a week, my internet going down fairly constantly and neighbors jumping my fence and stealing everything that isn't locked inside my place - including clothes I may hang out - that I'm praying even more that I can move out soon. When my faith in humanity is at the point it currently is, that tends to wreck my desire to make anything. Even my VN has been impacted over this.

That said, the 'break' has let me get a few new ideas into my mind though none are done\made as of yet.

First thing's first.
I always said I wanted to redesign the Tarkas to play unlike anyone else within both PH and vanilla SOTS2 and I've gotten a more solid idea of how to do that. As I may have finally made some breakthroughs on getting new SFX and even potentially models into the game (Though they are very, VERY unstable right now until I get the process more refined), I've committed myself to attempting to utterly redesign how the Tarkasian fleet structure works. Exact details are sketchy right now as my testing isn't looking good - I'd rather return to how SOTS2 is usually modded if it means not playing crash RNG.

The second, though this is entirely dependent on my investigation into what SOTS1 is capable of is that I will be porting PH over to SOTS1. There's simply more modding freedom for the older game and being held back by not being able to put my own content into SOTS2 is... well, there's a reason why I'm waiting for SOTSHD with baited breath. Don't have anything further to say on this as of yet as it needs more research on my end. SOTS1 and 2 are two entirely different games. This should go hand-in-hand with me re-learning my modeling skills that I had almost a decade and a half ago, though clearly many things have changed since then.

Within PH itself, I've planned a few changes. The first being that Direct Fire Torpedoes (Photon, Meson, Kelvinic and so on) will be converted to strategic range weaponry. Basically depending on testing, I plan on making them long range weapons that lay a steady stream of fire on a target instead of doing burst damage at a closer range like they currently do. Doing this in order to separate them more from the Heavy Combat-line of weaponry. In theory this makes them similar to the old 'tracking' torpedoes which no longer track at all in PH but the primary difference is how they do their damage - DFT ones do sustained damage if they keep hitting while the other ones (Fusion, AM and so on) do a ton of damage and often miss against things which move. (Sorry Kerb, but if SOTS is a naval simulator in space then torpedoes should follow suit.)

Drones are getting heavily buffed and nerfed at the same time. Each carrier will have either one, two or three drones (one per dock) to save on performance concerns with larger fleet battles (drones utterly tank FPS rates in battles with more than three players which can happen) but their stats will be dramatically improved and I'll be adding more weaponry for them.

Battleriders themselves, I'm not entirely sure on. Since they need to be built manually and assigned by hand as well as not being replaced by merely repairing the carrier like drones as well as being targetable by every weapon in the game, they don't have the same level of effectiveness that drones do. I know that sounds funny considering how useless drones often are in stock SOTS2 but when said drones don't die to a single PD phaser beam, it is remarkable how effective they become. BRs don't have that ability.

Spinal weapons are all going to get their own variant. This is just a personal choice like many things in PH; A turret shouldn't have the same stats as a spinal weapon which takes up far more space and can't even turn. Should make fixed-hardpoint sections more interesting at the very least.

Cloaking and Psionics are going to be removed for stability and FPS concerns - It is annoying to have to lose these but they do cause crashes and immense FPS drops and I've got no idea how to fix them since I think its something that can only be done by Kerb themselves as it may be something within the engine itself - something I can't get my hands into. Psionics which don't cause FPS issues or are passives will remain, as will Psi Repair since it can only be on a single ship at a time so it can't cause performance drops.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the things going on in your life, but I am happy to see your return. You do good work for PH, and I'm always excited to see what ideas you're going to have!

If you open up another version of PH with your current workings for testing... Let me know, and I will test them! Psionics and Cloaking I don't normally use much, but I can certainly try the gameplay and see if anything snags unusually!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 am

Long time no see RS! I hope things get better for you soon.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:26 pm
Well the KS was a success. No message on how to fix cloaking from the devs though. :(
Well... The only post-kickstart indication of Kerberos Productions focus from Mecron was in the Pit2 thread here:
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 56&t=57810
Mecron wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:46 pm
Things are moving along. All very happy the board game got funded, that allows us to put more resources into PoD and Pit2. Monsters and props are being built at a satisfying rate ;)
So, I'm a little sad. No SOTS love there.

I wish we had more idea of what to expect from Kerberos Productions in the future. It'd be nice if they'd start a "Current Projects" thread or something just so we know what they're working on these days and what their current road map looks like.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:40 pm

There are two more kickstarters to get through. The Pit of Doom FPS and The Pit 2. Once those hurdles are cleared we should probably hear something. It's not going to be a quick road to SOTSHD.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:09 am

Since I'm heavily in the development phase again, not much ability to take screenshots in an actual battle since they are right now unstable since things are missing.

And I know the image quality of my avatar is low right now - too lazy to get a better image editing program to rescale pictures without them becoming grainy.
-------------
All Direct Fire torpedoes have been upgraded as stated in the last post. They require testing since right now, I'm convinced that its causing 'phantom hits' syndrome to occur once again where your ships are getting hit by invisible projectiles. I also need to change their muzzle and impact effects to things more fitting - the above picture is Meson torpedoes, yet the muzzle is clearly not mesonic.

The only one which was not is the Disruptors which remain short range burst fire torps, though I did reduce their rate of fire since they were firing too often in PH and that was a bit of a balance problem.
I am undecided if EMPs should be the long range option, or if I should leave things alone and leave the Pulsar as the long range disabling option. I just don't like the Pulsar since it has numerous graphical problems and those used in any kind of numbers can causes a ton of artifacting to occur.

Suul'ka are giving me issues as they have been crash happy as of late and I'm not entirely sure why. I suspect it may be a save game issue with incorrect node\mount assignments since Suul'ka are handled quite uniquely within the engine compared to other ships. I think I've solved the issue, but it means I have to be careful about savegame compatibility for Vanilla to PH conversions if there's a Suul'ka active.
For the record, PH is compatible with Vanilla saves right now but like all mods, its one way only. However with the upcoming changes to the Tarkas, I expect that support to be broken.

Speaking of the Tarkas, I'm working on converting their entire CnC capability into Carriers but disallowing non-CnC carriers to be built. The AI does not like this right now so I'm attempting to think up of ways to get the AI to behave without resorting to making Tarkas-only fleet templates which they really don't need.
If the UI also decides to cooperate, Tarkas will also get access to BBs since they already have BCs. Unsure as to what models I will be using for those but right now, its just a copy of the usual DN parts.

BR and BC carriers for the Tarkas are not changing, its only the drone carriers which are getting altered.

Return to “Modding”