Modding Picture of the day...

Moderator: Makail

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Modding Picture of the day...

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I think RS is in Australia, whereas Kerberos is in Vancouver. That would be a big move. I do know some contacts in the travel industry who might be able to help at least with part of the trip, if RS is up for it, but finances, work, accommodations, etc. are likely to be the bigger concerns.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Talverin wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:54 am
Where the actual crap do you even live? That's utterly absurd. Will the police intervene at all? Do anything about it?
I'm in Australia, yes. I know its a bad situation, but it should settle down. Its another demonstration of how reality is stranger than fiction sometimes, but my unit being trashed actually increases my chances of actually being put somewhere far safer in a more reasonable timeframe.

As for the police, they've been informed but I find out what they'll do tomorrow. Said they want to fingerprint as much as they can; since I can count on my hand how many people have been in my unit since I was forced out, any prints in there will not be mine.
Talverin wrote:
With neighbors like that, I think I would've screamed my head off and fled the city entirely. The fact that you're still coherent is rather impressive.
So I've been told over the years, yes. Then again I'm also in the situation where I don't have much choice; I'm not employable at present.
Talverin wrote:
Do you have any idea why they sacked your unit? What they may have been looking for? They sound like horrifying people to be around.
$$$. Isn't the first time and whoever the unlucky people are who take the unit after me will wind up being another victim. They steal anything which isn't bolted down or properly secured. There was once a car being stripped in my carport by them and there's often bikes being de-wheeled and repainted to very probably get resold. So I'd not be surprised if almost everything just got pawned off - in this area, don't have to look far for people wanting things at a 'discount'.

As for why they sacked it exactly? Probably knew I wouldn't retaliate. I question myself every time I murder a fly or a roach, let alone even considering harming someone else - even if they are morons.
Talverin wrote:
Maybe you could contact Paradox and ask Mecron for sanctuary? Have them house you where the computers live, somewhere 'rule of law' is a phrase that exists.
Paradox and I... don't get along.

As for Mecron and Kerb, IT isn't my career and hasn't been for a few years. I'm in the process (or was) to becoming a qualified chef. So unless Kerb wants a cook for their very own, there's nothing I can really offer. ;)
ZedF wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:31 pm
I think RS is in Australia, whereas Kerberos is in Vancouver. That would be a big move. I do know some contacts in the travel industry who might be able to help at least with part of the trip, if RS is up for it, but finances, work, accommodations, etc. are likely to be the bigger concerns.
This is correct. Finances would be the primary limiting factor since I can't work in my mental state. Never even had a paying job since any form of 'controlling me' doesn't end well due to my agoraphobia.

Things should hopefully settle down eventually; if the government doesn't just hand wave it away and put me into another place where the same thing will happen again.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:15 pm

If you were anywhere near we would put you up till you recovered, unfortunately the cost of getting here from there would probably be the same as getting back on your feet there.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 pm

I don't have anything to add except...sorry! That blows...
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am

So an update... I don't have one. Just playing the so called waiting game right now while I wait for my support services to inform me what they are doing.

In the meantime, I've been playing other games.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) being one of them, and arguably one of the best stress relief options I have right now. For whatever reason I basically live on the highest tier speed cars (barring that screenshot) since I'm an oddity - I can't stand normal speed racing games. Curse of growing up with F-zero X I guess as my primary racing game alongside the original NFS:HP games.

In regards to PH; well... I've said it before but it bears repeating; modding when I'm not feeling well is not a good idea. A single misspelled item, line or broken bit of whatever it is I'm working on considering SOTS2 doesn't always tell me exactly what the issue is... is simply not a good idea. The last thing I need to do is break PH. I do plan on working on VAE beforehand though, albeit don't know when exactly. I want to repair the Loa and fix a few bugs that have been reported to me.

PS. I wonder if Kerb has ever considered branching into a burnout\hot pursuit style racing game?
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:34 pm

I am imagining Mario Kart, but with a lot more violence. Like Twisted Metal! That would be neat.

Maybe you use race points to buy better weapons and armor, and move up the tech tree. Buy different vehicles up to 'Land Cruisers' or somesuch, and get people to man the turrets. Occasionally Zuul gunners will go nutty and actually jump onto enemy vehicles and attack them for fun!

I would love to see a space racing game. Maybe they should do that. *Nods.*

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Eheh~, guess its me just wishing for another game like NFS:HP.

There are plenty of games or more accurate, types of games I'd love to see one day but they either simply don't exist or just are not really viable financially. A example of this I've always been curious about which hasn't been done since the 90s is a 3 or 4 layer RTS game where every layer (underground, surface, atmosphere, space) interacts with one another or games more akin to Treasure Island or that really old BattleIsles - basically a battleship simulator but the progression is entirely about how you build your ship.

There's a few games like the latter, Void Destroyer could technically fall into that but that is certainly a style of game that's almost entirely dead nowadays.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Looks like the author is working on Void Destroyer 2... kinda looks cool!

the202

Post by the202 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:02 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Eheh~, guess its me just wishing for another game like NFS:HP.

There are plenty of games or more accurate, types of games I'd love to see one day but they either simply don't exist or just are not really viable financially. A example of this I've always been curious about which hasn't been done since the 90s is a 3 or 4 layer RTS game where every layer (underground, surface, atmosphere, space) interacts with one another or games more akin to Treasure Island or that really old BattleIsles - basically a battleship simulator but the progression is entirely about how you build your ship.

There's a few games like the latter, Void Destroyer could technically fall into that but that is certainly a style of game that's almost entirely dead nowadays.
Wouldn't Supreme Commander count for the RTS?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 am

willdieh wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Looks like the author is working on Void Destroyer 2... kinda looks cool!
When it isn't crashing, its a good game. Being able to personally fly any ship is certainly a major selling point.
the202 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:02 am
Wouldn't Supreme Commander count for the RTS?
In a manner yes, but it still only focuses on one layer - the surface. It does have water elements at least.
Planetary Annihilation comes closest recently since its got an orbital\space layer and that layer can interact with the surface.

But neither go underground or the atmosphere. Who knows, when I'm 50 I might have the skills to see that dream of mine come true on my own volition.

======================================
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
SOURCE: ZUUL PROPAGANDA SHIP
REASON: TRANSLATION MATRIX FAILURE - UNKNOWN WORDS DETECTED - POTENTIALLY ZUUL SELF CONGRATULATIONS OR A REQUEST FOR A CHEESEBURGER

Attached:

Intel suggests the Zuul have developed a new method of using their mines in a more productive manner than we thought about. Our top scientists believe that we can adapt these so called 'missile mines' for our own use.

----------
Translation: After playing Homeworld 2 Complex again, I liked the way it handles mines launched from larger ships. They are basically larger missiles which are very slow but hit very hard compared to the faster alternatives. I've already done a proof of concept test and I'm going to convert all mines (or more accurate, make new ones) which are essentially missiles in behavior but require the minelayer weapon size\type to work. Their range for now is 4000 so they are still rather short ranged and I have to modify each minelayer section in order to increase get them firing at targets which are not behind them. The mines themselves are PD targets as well.

As for the original mines, they'll still be there but they'll be attached to an optional tech for those who don't use vanilla-style mines such as myself.
I do have to test the 'missile mines' further when I get the interest to do such since I'm not sure what they'll do if someone drags them into the defense slot.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Just giving mines more of an offensive range, like the Leap mines, is already a big step up. Though, to be honest, mines in general would be 10x more useful if threat prediction was better. When I can get an accurate read of which row in a system an enemy fleet is coming into, and WHERE in that row, mines have been some of the most devastating weapons I can field.

For regular mines, could you increase blast radius, or health, so PD doesn't simply shred the entire antimatter minefield without taking a scratch?

Any of these three changes would, I feel, make mines far more useful than they are currently. As it is, they don't have the reach - either in explosive AoE or in movement - or the survivability to make them viable weapons past early game. Still great vs commerce raiders (But man, I wish we could get SOME idea where the freighter/pirates are going to be when Piracy happens) when you just cluster them all over the second ring in from the edge and hope for the best, but that's not reliable enough, imo, to be worth the expense.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 am

Talverin wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 pm
Just giving mines more of an offensive range, like the Leap mines, is already a big step up. Though, to be honest, mines in general would be 10x more useful if threat prediction was better. When I can get an accurate read of which row in a system an enemy fleet is coming into, and WHERE in that row, mines have been some of the most devastating weapons I can field.

For regular mines, could you increase blast radius, or health, so PD doesn't simply shred the entire antimatter minefield without taking a scratch?

Any of these three changes would, I feel, make mines far more useful than they are currently. As it is, they don't have the reach - either in explosive AoE or in movement - or the survivability to make them viable weapons past early game. Still great vs commerce raiders (But man, I wish we could get SOME idea where the freighter/pirates are going to be when Piracy happens) when you just cluster them all over the second ring in from the edge and hope for the best, but that's not reliable enough, imo, to be worth the expense.
In the process of testing my slightly revised version more or less now.

Change List:

'Missile Mines' are now classified as ballistic weapons so they now gain bonuses from ballistics research.
'Missile Mines' now use the Heavy Combat (HCL\DFT torpedos) mounts due to crashing with minelayers being dragged into defense slots with these equipped. Unsure if they should also get a Super-Heavy version for the Leviathan sized turrets.
'Missile Mines' are medium\long range weapons akin to the vanilla guided torpedo's which no longer exist in PH - they are slow, easily shot down but do a lot of damage if they do hit. Currently debating with myself as to a way to ensure they don't get used at point blank range; probably severe damage penalties at close range.
'Missile Mines' all use the Leap Mine travel sound effect to signify that they are not normal mines. Normal mines don't use any travel sound effects as there's too many of them overlapping.
Current 'Missile Mine' types are Nuke, Fusion and Antimatter.
Other missile types are possible but may simply be far too powerful; Implosion mines in particular.

'Normal' mines have all been updated with leap-style characteristics; they have a range of (testing pending) 3500, burst fire of 4 mines per slot and will move to and track targets which get within range.
If using mines in a direct combat role (attached to a ship), they now have a long reload time due to their vastly improved power.
Mines now have their proper impact and launch sounds. So do the missile mines.
Mines now have more appropriate structural ratings which scale with mine type; certain mines are much harder to destroy than others.
Damage done by mines drastically increased. All non-nuke (the basic and cheapest one) mines now have secondary effects according to their type.

Nuke: Cheapest mine type, lowest damage and blast radius. Used when penny pinching is required.
Fusion: Impact force is great enough to knock a ships systems offline for 3 seconds. (EMP effect on the target it directly strikes but not the others within blast radius, they only take damage.)
Antimatter: Same as fusion barring damage increase however 'EMP' effect will also hit anything else within the blast radius.
Cloaking: Now has a Corrosive payload and will explode into a corrosive cloud. Cloaking is still active (if it works, needs testing.). If cloaking does actually work like advertised, will lower activation range a bit.
Grav: Redesigned. Gravity effect is now an extended duration EMP on anything within the initial blast radius due to very little use towards flinging ships around; ships do not take damage from colliding with planets in SOTS2 unlike SOTS1. This is essentially the main way to disable ships for the mine-line.
Leap: Upgraded to Antimatter status. More expensive than any other mine but has double the activation range and a higher travel speed and has lost the EMP effect of the Antimatter mine but damage is the same.
Implosion: Upgraded to Reflex status. Largest blast radius and highest damage with increased critical hit chances. Not anywhere near safe to use near friendly forces; blast radius is the same as an exploding leviathan. Considered just below super-weapon status so research time\cost is vastly higher for this mine type than any other and requires reflex-era to be unlocked.

There is a possibility of new mine types but it depends on if the game crashes when they are dragged into the defense fleet and crashes upon a battle starting like what was occurring with the missile mines. If it winds up being stable, I'll at least add a nanite mine and see about making some more exotic things like emitter mines.

As a personal comment, I suspect mines were left reasonably weak due to the vulnerability that invading forces have to them; there's no way to stop mines from hitting if your fleet spawns on top of them. PH isn't about pure balance in any case, but it is something for me to think about. If the new versions wind up being too powerful, I may do some tweaks in the commonasset file by making them cost more CP but widening the minefields more than I already have.

That's actually why there's no Node Maw tech in PH; instantly having a solforce fleet get sent back with no way to stop it wasn't fun in the slightest.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Very well thought out changes! I can't wait to see them in action.

Thank you for your feedback, Rossinna!

Return to “Modding”