Modding Picture of the day...

Moderator: Makail

willdieh

Re: Modding Picture of the day...

Post by willdieh » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Welcome back!

Any comments on my UI elements in 4K? Are they too small? There's a maxwidth value I can adjust for the panels if there's too much black space for you, but the font sizes are hard coded and don't auto-scale that I can see.

For the file sync issues you mention, I found WinDiff.exe to work really nicely in figuring out what files had been modified. It's an old MS Powertool I believe and takes a second to figure out, but works against entire folder structures and allowed me to pull out my own mods that I've been working on for my own version of a Vanilla patch :)

Any thoughts on getting the game to re-load assets without restarting? I haven't found anything...

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:08 pm

willdieh wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 pm
Welcome back!

Any comments on my UI elements in 4K? Are they too small? There's a maxwidth value I can adjust for the panels if there's too much black space for you, but the font sizes are hard coded and don't auto-scale that I can see.

For the file sync issues you mention, I found WinDiff.exe to work really nicely in figuring out what files had been modified. It's an old MS Powertool I believe and takes a second to figure out, but works against entire folder structures and allowed me to pull out my own mods that I've been working on for my own version of a Vanilla patch :)

Any thoughts on getting the game to re-load assets without restarting? I haven't found anything...
I admit I didn't pay much attention to the details, just wanted to see how it looked on a larger screen since SOTS2's UI has issues on resolutions which were not standard when the game was released. But there was no glaring issues, no.

Re-loading assets? Don't know of anything, sorry. Don't personally use the debug mode at this juncture so don't know if its got a hidden command somewhere. I just have SOTS2 running in window mode with the main menu combat off, music off and I think I'm using that old SOTSOS mod so my bootup time is about 2 seconds for the game. I actually stay offline in steam 99% of the time to avoid spamming people with 'so and so is playing Sword of the Stars 2' every 30 seconds for hours on end sometimes.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 am

Was working on some of the Political UI elements and discovered that Intel missions are actually quite farging awesome!

This was for a critical success (5% chance according to the UI) though, so not sure if you can always get a free tech, but the critical success allowed me to specify three different free things (recent colony info, system info, important trade sector info). You then the results next turn.

I suppose a standard success is only a single piece of info. Not sure if that would also include free tech though. So awesome!

William

Edit:
A regular success allowed me to choose a tech as well and also gave me three things. Hmmm.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 am

That was already in the game. AI doesn't do espionage though so its incredibly rare.

--------------
Anyway, quick update. Apologies for being blunt - not in a good mood. List of things which happened within the last two weeks:

- Grandmother hospitalized due to broken arm. Was on blood thinning tablets. Hospital doesn't know what to do to help her due to that.
- Government F'ed up my housing application again. So that is at a total stand-still.
- Kids have been diagnosed as one of my largest stress causes, especially considering they ain't mine. They are my half-siblings.
- Laptop is dying. Can't even shut it down anymore without forcing it.
- Mobile is dying. Holding a charge isn't going very well, randomly cuts out or turns itself off. GPS causes instant 'crash' as it shuts the phone off.
- My previous neighbors are getting away with what they did to me. Not even a warning or a fine for breaking and entering.

There's other things; even PH has come up to my new therapist who's trying to tell me it isn't my fault I've not released it yet when I keep bashing myself over it. Funny how minor things can have such a major effect.

--------------
As for PH itself, there's been little to no work on it unfortunately. I try not to use my computer unless I need to since there's a high risk I'll throw up on it due to the massive stress I'm under and, well, I'd rather not destroy it by having that happen.

But, well, if some of the things on my list up there go away then perhaps I won't be so stressed out to the point where I can get back to it. Modding for PH used to be one of my coping mechanisms but because I want to release the darn thing, its lost that capacity.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:49 am

Wow. You have a LOT going on. So just concentrate on getting better. PH can wait...its waited this long...it can keep til you're better.

Hang in there.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Your therapist is right about PH; don't worry about others having expectations about any kind of release schedule. It's your schedule & nobody is depending on it so you can change it freely; PH will get released when it is released! Your health is more important.

I recently had a phone dying like yours (similar symptoms -- random shutoff due to power load, rapid draining, etc) due to water damage, until I was able to get an upgrade credit from my service provider and replace it. What I did to tide me over was to get a portable external battery and keep my phone plugged into that. It wasn't perfect but it did mostly resolve the power issues.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “Modding”