Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Moderator: Makail

Zerk

Re: Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Post by Zerk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:32 pm
I can't give an exact, no. The main parts which were edited were the StrategicAI, DesignLab and CombatAI. However I can't guarantee other things got changed in other files, due to how scattered everything is.
Do you work with decompiled VS project, or are you using a tool which recompiles code into .dll directly?

Desolator

Post by Desolator » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Looking to play sots 2 again, this time with some mods to make the game work more as intended (thanks everyone involved :D ). Does this mod combine with sots 2 reforged? and / or are there other mods I should get for a complete experience?

Zerk

Post by Zerk » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm

To those who are feeling adventurous: I've managed to feed decompiled .dll to Visual Studio and successfully recompile it. I'm attaching it to this post. With the exception of few QoL changes ported from my mod, it should be equivalent to the .dll supplied with the latest version of SoS, and must be installed on top of it. Once any potential bugs are dealt with, I'll upload sources to GitHub. Hopefully, this will make modding process less disorganized.

Changes:
  • Security slider should no longer unstick from the notch on new turn. Planetary trade-construction slider is still semi-bugged due to rounding error.
  • Load/Save dialogues should now sort save files by creation date.
  • Game should now remove all unnecessary autosave suffixes from file name, before making new autosave.
Link: removed

Warning: while I didn't notice any abnormalities, it may still break your game. Back up your saves.
________
Uploaded proper .dll. Should actually work:
sots_managed.7z
Last edited by Zerk on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 am

Hey, has anyone run into a bug where the lower half of morrigi ships don't fire their beam or torpedoes? PDs still seem to fire.

I usually play hiver and human so not sure if this is a bug in the base game or this mod made some changes. I don't have any other mods installed.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:12 am

sqw82 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 am
Hey, has anyone run into a bug where the lower half of morrigi ships don't fire their beam or torpedoes? PDs still seem to fire.

I usually play hiver and human so not sure if this is a bug in the base game or this mod made some changes. I don't have any other mods installed.
Which ship section and which weapons? It may be a solution tolerance issue again.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:00 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:12 am
sqw82 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 am

Which ship section and which weapons? It may be a solution tolerance issue again.
The Morrigi CR/DN blazer and torpedo section. The other races' sections works fine.
I find if I spin a blazer section on 90 degree angle or just making it do a barrel roll, it'll fire it's bottom 2 beams. Small and Medium turrets works fine, just the big, fixed mounts on the lower half that's bugging out.

I low-rolled on the tracking torpedo so I can't test it out but since the mounts can actually fire in certain situations, it might not be affected.

Is there a quick way to fix this tolerance issue? Hate to re-start another game over this. =/

Edit: affected weapons seem to be limited to ones you need to aim the whole ship like cutting beams, direct fire torpedoes and I assume impactor sections too.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:26 am

Just did a bit more testing. In the weapon test of the design screen, only the top center of the 5 beams of the blazer section (morrigi) works. During combat, the top three works while the bottom two are still duds.

I tried messing with the solution tolerance and the pitch/yaw value of the weapon mounts in the corresponding mission sections but nothing seem to change in the weapon test screen. Will have to test it out in actual combat but I don't have a save on hand yet.

Trust my luck to change things up a bit and ending up with the ONE race that's bugged.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am

Try setting the bank type to FreeBeam instead of HeavyBeam. It may take a little more tweaking of min\max yaw and pitch, but I got all five mounts firing on the CR blazer.

If that still fails, copy the barrel_dummy, base_dummy and turret_dummy section files from the zuul\models\weapons folder and overwrite the ones in the morrigi\models\weapons folder.

I've added fixing all HeavyCombat mounts for the Morrigi to the to-do list for SoS's next version, if there is one.

No picking on my custom missile icons! ;p
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Araulius

Post by Araulius » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm
Araulius wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 am
Hello! I am new to modding SotS in general, and this fourm, and I just have a couple of questions. First, how is installation of a mod done? Is it included in a readme? Second, is the a.i. mod that Rossina is working on a seperate/private mod at the moment?
As far as I am aware for SoS, installation is extracting the contents of the 7z or zip into a folder like downloads, opening it and copying the contents of the folder contained within (It'll be two folders and two text documents at the present time) right into where you installed SOTS2, allowing it to overwrite anything it wants.

It does mean making a backup is highly suggested.

SoS is the AI mod, more or less. If you're asking about PH or Project Hiver, that's entirely separate, yes.
thank you for the response! I'm going to give SoS a go today. Step one is to get it installed correctly... Wish me luck!

Update: extracted the files to where the game is, and let it replace the files it needed to. Game runs fine. But now I am unsure if I'm running the game modded or as it came, as there is no easy way to tell if it is modded or not without seeing the a.i. I will continue to play my game, but it would be nice to know if there was a way to tell if it is modded correctly or not at a glance.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:08 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am
Try setting the bank type to FreeBeam instead of HeavyBeam. It may take a little more tweaking of min\max yaw and pitch, but I got all five mounts firing on the CR blazer.

If that still fails, copy the barrel_dummy, base_dummy and turret_dummy section files from the zuul\models\weapons folder and overwrite the ones in the morrigi\models\weapons folder.

I've added fixing all HeavyCombat mounts for the Morrigi to the to-do list for SoS's next version, if there is one.
Hey, thanks a lot for getting on this so quickly. I'll give your freebeam solution a try. After some testing, it seems the blazer section can still fire all 5 beams - it just need to wiggle a bit which it couldn't do in the weapon test screen. The down side is you can't get an alpha strike on anything CR sized but at least this doesn't affect gameplay much.

Desolator

Post by Desolator » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Desolator wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm
Looking to play sots 2 again, this time with some mods to make the game work more as intended (thanks everyone involved :D ). Does this mod combine with sots 2 reforged? and / or are there other mods I should get for a complete experience?
Anyone?

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:08 am

Desolator wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm
Desolator wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm
Anyone?
There were some contact between the two authors back in March but there doesn't seem to be any proper collaborations.Reforge mostly adds new 'stuff' and shifted some numbers around like global supply/fleet points etc while this mod deals with AI behavior. Both should work with each other if you find the right overwrite order?

Make backups. =P

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:12 pm

Technically, SoS will function even if the only thing you install is the .dll file. You'll miss out on section changes, UI changes and so on, but the primary AI stuff and other fixes are inside the .dll.

It is up to you whether you use my\Willdeih's version or the slightly newer one from Zerk.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:32 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:12 pm
Technically, SoS will function even if the only thing you install is the .dll file. You'll miss out on section changes, UI changes and so on, but the primary AI stuff and other fixes are inside the .dll.
Speaking of AI, did anyone change anything in the tactical AI? Sometimes, an invading AI fleet into an empty system will head straight to the sun, park there and let me pelt it with missiles within sensor range and doesn't do anything.

I recall the vanilla tactical AI would also not respond to Polaris super long range missiles either but it's been too long to remember if the above also happened.

Zerk

Post by Zerk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 pm

The GitHub repository is up and running. Future releases by me will be uploaded there.

willdieh, Rossinna-Sama - please message me your GitHub usernames, if you'd like to have collaborator rights for the repo.

Return to “Modding”