Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Moderator: Makail

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Post by Mecron » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Pointing out something is vastly different than fixing it.

Gepeto

Post by Gepeto » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:59 am

Thank you very much for your work to make this gem more brilliant!! If you can make diplomacy to work, it would be a must have patch for every owner of this game. I only wanted to make you see your work would be really appreciated by many fans of this game… THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR EFFORT!! :love:

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Did this die? Cant see any patches.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:08 pm
Did this die? Cant see any patches.
Well we are going through a slight pandemic right now and the person working on it is a solo act so... ;)
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 pm

It's still been worked on, just at a slow pace because a few pages back, someone was working on improving the diplomacy side of the game and I wanted to include that into baseline SoS. That, and various other things going on in the background which is delaying everything on my end.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Rossinna-Sama, what do you use to edit the sots2_managed.dll?
Is there documentation for it?

I ask because the SoS patch makes a change that I don't like, and would like to make a personal modification to it.
"Added Event focus on next/previous icon click AND on left/right arrow keys"

I don't like when the game changes focus unless I specifically tell it to.

EDIT: Ok I found the setting for "seperate focus", but Im still interested in learning about editing the .dll

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 am

erdrik wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I ask because the SoS patch makes a change that I don't like, and would like to make a personal modification to it.

EDIT: Ok I found the setting for "seperate focus", but Im still interested in learning about editing the .dll
Run it through a disassembler. Not my bailiwick but I believe that's how its done.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

endymon

Post by endymon » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:55 pm

I was curious if any of the speed-ups from SotsOS have been migrated or duplicated into SOS? viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40392

Asteliks

Post by Asteliks » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Hey, I have this problem that after many turns (150+) on a multiplayer game:
- the game save file grows extremely large
- the game crashes almost every turn,
- sometimes we can not start the multiplayer game because the save game file is not send to the client (probably due to the file size?)

Is it only me having these problems on multiplayer games? Is there anything that can be done?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:13 pm

What does the crash log say is the cause?

Only other questions would be how many players in total are there and how large has the save file gotten?
erdrik wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Was using two. DNspy and ILspy. When one didn't want to work or cooperate, the other usually did the job.
Visual Studio can also do it, but that might take some tinkering to actually make it stable due to version mismatches.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

endymon

Post by endymon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 pm

@Rossinna-Sama
I tried out those dotnet debuggers. They do appear to handle sots2 dlls reasonably well. I presume that everything in sots2 was written in dotnet, and as such I would presume that mars.exe would be as well, but the debugger doesn't appear to load it correctly (it does however handle sots2.exe)
Any ideas?

I'm having a similar issue with sots.exe (sots1). As there doesn't appear to be any dll file to open with sots1... I'm a bit stumped on that front. Any insight?
[/tangent]

Vieja

Post by Vieja » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:01 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:13 pm
What does the crash log say is the cause?

Only other questions would be how many players in total are there and how large has the save file gotten?
Hi, I'm the one who plays with Asteliks and I will tell you all we know.

We are big fans of SoTS but unfortunately, we were never able to finish our gameplay. We are playing on local network, only two of us, mostly on Sotsverse map. Usually first 150 turns pass without any problems; game is not crashing and save is transferred in under minute, resuming a saved game. When we are getting near 200 turn, things start to go crazy - it is very common that the saved game never starts to load again for the client player. For the host it loads right away. In that cases the game does not really crush, but rather freeze. This can be perceived by the cursor icon when loading the game. The standard cursor does not change to loading spinning circle. In some of our playthroughs we were able to hit 200 turn or even higher, but the frequency of game crashes grows abnormally fast. At this point we are experiencing crash every 2-3 or even 1 turn until we are not able to get to the next turn and we get stuck. The crash happens in most of the time after we both click "end the turn" or after battle.

We are dealing with this kind of problem from the beginning of our history with sots, so for years now. We changed PCs, networks, reinstalled games countless times and it always led to the same outcome. One of the things that we noticed is that the file size grows exponentially. We thought that it might be a problem, so we started to experiment with DB Browser for SQLite. We tried to delete rows that were empty or that were keeping non-vital information (we tried compacting the database). It appeared to have some effect, but it only grants us a few extra turns.

Last year we found Save Our Sots2 and we thought that maybe our problem is more common, and it got fixed. We tried it and were able to hit +210 turn, however the game crashes now after every second battle or so. I'm attaching our save as well as crash log.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Unfortunately, SOTS2 doesn't play well with the larger maps. I've downloaded the save and looked at the log, but nothing is showing on said log right now. As not feeling the best today, I'll attempt to switch my SOTS2 Project Hiver install with the SoS version when able in order to see what's going on.

As a prelim, I have the feeling that it hasn't actually crashed. SOTS2 when its busy processing AI turns and logging stuff looks and acts like it's locked up but it actually hasn't. This can actually be partially seen in the error log since it hasn't logged an actual crash-level error, just that the process was forced to be terminated due to user action.

If it wasn't so annoying to set up, I'd suggest switching over to DevMode so you can see what the game's doing in real time. Willdieh has a thread somewhere on how to activate that if you'd like to get a head start.

Also, 27mb for a save isn't that unusual for SOTS2. I've seen some of my own go to around 120mb.

TL:DR - Downloaded what you've linked, will investigate today and\or tomorrow depending on this illness of mine. Apologies for not being able to look into it sooner.

Return to “Modding”