Modding the pros and cons...

Moderator: Makail

balti knights

Modding the pros and cons...

Post by balti knights » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:20 pm

As a modder of SOTS PRIME I am all for being able to mod SOTS][ but as modders when is the right time to start fiddling around with a new game.

I bought sots in 2006 and played single and multiplayer games almost every night for nearly 4 years before I even thought about modding it.
This gave me ample time to enjoy the game in the way the devs intended. The gameplay/lore/species/etc all became ingrained in me before I started to tweek the game towards more my own tastes. Even then it has only ever been a few graphics and the odd gameplay changes that I have made, because in my mind it's never really needed anything more.
With the LOW looming and the promise of some really cool modding tools, I've started to think...hang on there cowboy, don't get carried away...play the game as it was meant to be. Learn to love it like PRIME and then think about tweaking it.
SOTS][ is going to attract a whole new group of players (and modders to). Would it be a good thing if they can start messing around with it from almost day one.
I personally think not...There could be a real danger that this beautiful universe that Kerbros has built could get lost in translation.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

BTAxis

Re: Modding the pros and cons...

Post by BTAxis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:40 pm

I think any serious mod project must necessarily be carried out with intricate knowledge of what the game is, what the extent of the vanilla content is, and in which direction the mod will change it. As a peruser of mods I tend to take the same approach to mods. I want to know the game I'm modding, because how can I appreciate changes if I can't compare?

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I agree that this is the correct way to go about modding and the decision making when considering to use a mod, but I just concerned that not all the players(old and new) of SOTS][ will be so considerate.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

BTAxis

Post by BTAxis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 pm

You may be right, but I feel that is their own responsibility.

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:50 pm

It's a personal decision. I'm a professional illustrator/designer and not much of a gamer, so I'm more looking forward to bringing my content into the game than playing with the intended content. I see the game more as a tool or maybe a playground, than a game.
As soon as the tools will be available i'll get started. I'm actually going to start pre-production in a couple of days.
That doesn't mean I won't take the time to get to know the game of course.

In any case, I don't think modding is a pro and contra case. All it does is enriching the universe. It doesn't take away.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Actually balti is correct in trying to point out respect issues when it comes to art but since the modding mindset is often self-involved it is clear he probably will not be getting much traction. As it stands though, the moratorium on placing any file derived information about the game on this board outside the confines of the modding topic will be strictly enforced and we ask all to respect rules if not decorum.

HyperionOmega

Post by HyperionOmega » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:59 am

I actually tend to agree with bits and pieces of the conversation thus far. I do play a game in its intended setting for quite some time before I ever really start to tinker with it I played Sots prime up to born of blood(production and all) unmodded and continued to do so up until the release of AMoC. It was only after that that I decided to see what changes I could make and then seeing other modders changes which created a snowball effect of modding. But even then there was sense of discovery as Id change something then realize that the Dev's original position was much better than I had previously thought(missile volleys Im looking at you ;p ).

I dont really see a con either there might be a couple of spoiled gamers who want it their way and might miss out on cool mechanic X but I feel the freedom of modding and the current plethora of tools SotS][ more than makes up for it because it voices a security of the developers that says "no matter how cool your mod is us devs did it better". Any major con I could see would have to be in story wise but since there are no real single player campaigns and all info is in the sots-apedia the story seems to be able to be conveyed regardless of any type of wild modding.

I guess my verdict is no modding for a couple a months but do release them at launch or whenever they are ready just so the more adventurous can start on making other diversions to keep us busy when we want a different taste to our Winter :lol:
Last edited by HyperionOmega on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:amoc: :any:
Winter is coming--Stark Family Motto
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. ~Abraham Lincoln

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:26 am

release is completely dependant on time and resources to make sure they are usable reliably by the public.

Return to “Modding”