lighting

Moderator: Makail

fourAM

lighting

Post by fourAM » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Lighting can make or break a scene visually. From what I've seen in some screenshots, SotS2 achieves an almost cinematic feel in terms of light. I've also noticed that in many cases, the main light does not come from the star itself, but from the top. This is great because we are so used to seeing things like this in reality and so it feels right. Having a light source on the same plane the ships move can be a pain in the ass to work with in my experience. In fact, I've often lifted it above the star itself to find a compromise.
Also, in some cases there's a lot of fill/ambient light, while in others there's almost none. My educated guess would be, this depends on the environment/skybox, which are HDRIs? Or is it a pure shader technique?

So, to make it short: How are the combat scenes lit? And how much influence do modders have on this?

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Re: lighting

Post by rimbimbambo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:19 am

Yep it's all HDR lit - I'm pretty sure you'll have access to that and the space backgrounds, so you can light them however you see fit.

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:00 am

Excellent, thanks!

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:59 pm

I can confirm now that the lighting is odd in places. Stations for instance are lit from a different angle than the planets they surround, which just looks weird.

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Post by rimbimbambo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah - The stations will use HDR lighting which is generated from the backgrounds, but the planets are using lighting from the sun. In General, the light from the sun is only applied to the planets for the time being. We might look at this again when things start to cool down with release fixes. Give me a poke about it in a few weeks.

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks, i will!

Here's a related mockup I've done for another project some time ago:

I think the HDR idea is great. However, the shader should be set up in a way, where the HDRI only affects the shadow side - it should serve as a fill light. The key light is of course the star itself.
Lifting the key light a little above the star improves the light situation even more.

Return to “Modding”