file formats

Moderator: Makail

fourAM

file formats

Post by fourAM » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 am

Hi, I'm having trouble opening the content files, images for example. Removing the ~ is not sufficient. I've also tried renaming them to common archive file endings with no success.
I've noticed that .png files for instance don't look like .png files in a text editor. Something is different.

Is special software required to "decode" the files?

Jakegamer1

Re: file formats

Post by Jakegamer1 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:37 am

Version from Steam currently is a beta version so I would avoid attempting any mods until the launch version is up.

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:28 am

Good for you, feel free to wait.

Since the game is pretty much unplayable, I want at least mess with the content files. Why should I wait for another version, when I can for instance adjust interface graphics or sky boxes(spheres?) right away?

We paid for being beta(alpha?) testers. I'm not going to sit around and wait 2 more months, when I have the game here and can get started with testing right now.

HyperionOmega

Post by HyperionOmega » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:57 am

Where did you find the files at I was looking to do some tweeking just see what all could be done and I cant find any useful files anywhere. If we are alpha tester might as well be adventurous ones 8)
:amoc: :any:
Winter is coming--Stark Family Motto
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. ~Abraham Lincoln

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Absolutely! It's all in steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/assets/base.

goffries2

Post by goffries2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:42 am

Wouldn't the "~" at the end of all the extensions just indicate that everything is disabled?

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 am

No. Most of the content files look like this, including all images and 3d models. Only a couple of .xml files are accessible.

Avan

Post by Avan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:32 pm

perhaps it is some form of compression?

Jakegamer1

Post by Jakegamer1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:36 am

Has anybody figured the tga extensions out?

sintri

Post by sintri » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:04 am

they're bout 100 bytes larger than tgas of their size, and they're parsed differently. Standard tga files don't render properly for the game, so less tga format's changed in the past year, they did their own modding to em.

Zabaron
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Zabaron » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:44 am

I looked at them a bit. They all begin with 'SHYL'. Alpha-numeric characters seem normal, but (most) non-alpha-numeric characters are replaced with various non-printable characters. They're obviously encoded in some way, but I don't recognize the encoding (various Google searches for 'SHYL' and related terms don't return any useful results either). In the end, I'm not particularly motivated to figure it out, since the dev tools will be released eventually, and they'll probably handle the files just fine. My guess is they're the result of sending the assets through KP's content pipeline.

--Zabaron
"ʎq ʎlɟ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʎǝɥʇ punos ƃuıɥsooʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʌol ı ˙sǝuılpɐǝp ǝʌol ı"
sɯɐpɐ sɐlƃnop-

Emmerask

Post by Emmerask » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:56 pm

sintri wrote:they're bout 100 bytes larger than tgas of their size, and they're parsed differently. Standard tga files don't render properly for the game, so less tga format's changed in the past year, they did their own modding to em.

Yep I think so too, these files seem to have additional meta info (and most likely other stuff) in them "SHYLäs³ Texture2D € €" so that I´m afraid we really have to wait for the devs to give us a tool to convert tgas to their format :cry:

DarkWrath

Post by DarkWrath » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm also quite interested in getting some info on what formats are used for the models themselves - for the last hour I put a .scene file through some hard work and I'm still not even close to importing it.

Emmerask

Post by Emmerask » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Okay did some more fiddling around with the avatar tga~
The good thing is that they are in there, not encrypted or anything, though Kerberos did change the startpixel from lower left (normal for tga) to upper left (normal for sane people)
thats pretty much why the avatar is upside down and why the blue background has become red and I have pretty much no way of fixing that with my current tools (paint.net)^^

the question is am I allowed to tell other people who are as impatient as me how to do this?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fourAM

Post by fourAM » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Great work, please do tell.

Return to “Modding”