Planet types

Moderator: Makail

Avan

Planet types

Post by Avan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:41 am

How easy will it be to mod in planet types?

Inspired by the planets I've seen and the various planet types, I decided that it would be cool to make even more planet variants, some based on theories/extrapolation (carbon planets), some based on findings (such as super earths and ultra dense planets [the kepler mission found a planet denser than lead]), and some, umm, stuff. Yes, stuff. :twisted:

From what I can tell, planet types need:
1) art assets
2) size parameters
3) attribute modifiers/ranges (ie, size, resources, biosphere, colonization cost)
4) probability

What levels of flexibility are there with what we can do?

Some that I had in mind would be comparatively easy to do, as I've seen the effects done in planet types already. Others, perhaps not so much? (IE, what if we wanted to make it favor terraforming by certain races/favor certain civilians of certain races? Or even be colonizable only by some set of races?)

Also, can we specify speed of cloud rotation?

Also, is there any way to 'animate' a planet texture? Not sure if the magnar's aurora did this or not.

Baleur

Re: Planet types

Post by Baleur » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:55 am

Well, if you have the "procedural planets" options ticked, the planets seem to generate their own texture / surface. So i dont know how easy or hard that will be to mod, to get it to generate the kind of surface you want.. :/
The alternative is to uncheck that box, but then ofc you will have a limited number of planet textures and many of them will look the same.

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Re: Planet types

Post by rimbimbambo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Modding planet types will be hard - Lots of them are tied into game rules. The best thing you'd be able to do is modify the textures. This will probably be available when we release the game tools.

Return to “Modding”