How does the "critical bonus" and "critical damage" works?

Moderator: Makail

Rayp

How does the "critical bonus" and "critical damage" works?

Post by Rayp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:03 pm

I have seen reference to them in a lot of files yet i don't know what they do exactly. Can any of the devs shed some light on this?

Orzelek

Re: How does the "critical bonus" and "critical damage" work

Post by Orzelek » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:36 am

There is a definition of this in main assets file under critical hits.
It seemed for me that when hitting hull you have certain chance for critical hit - and then the critical bonuses are applied to damage.

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Orzelek wrote:There is a definition of this in main assets file under critical hits.
It seemed for me that when hitting hull you have certain chance for critical hit - and then the critical bonuses are applied to damage.

I just need to figure out if the crit defined in the files are for when the weapon hit the enemy or when the device is hit by enemy fire (but it's probably the later).

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:13 pm

I believe crits happen when you've actually punched a hole in the ship's armor and you hit that spot again.

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Post by rimbimbambo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Off the top of my head - here are all the variables to do with criticals

In the common assets file -
<CritHitPercentages> - Dictates the percentages that a certain type of critical hit will happen for each section or station.

In the weapons files -
<CritHitBonus> - A bonus percentage to cause a critical hit - Critical hits are only possibly applied when a weapon strikes a spot on the ship that has no armor left on it's armor panel.
<MalfunctionPercent> - An additional roll for when a turret malfunctions that determines if the turret is completely destroyed and applies damage to it's parent section
<MalfunctionDamage> - The amount of damage applied to it's parent section if the above roll is successful.
<CritHitRolls> - The number of changes a weapon has to apply a critical hit when it strikes an enemy ship.

ed bever

Post by ed bever » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:36 pm

It is slightly odd, considering this is a stragegy game, that one would have to dig into the weapon files to find this info, imo :P
Not to mention the fact that some of this has been lightly touched upon in the manual Kerberos provided with the game, that would be an implication that the information would be readily availeble in the game itself.

Lord Primus

Post by Lord Primus » Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm

A quick follow up question on this topic please?

I have noticed quite a few of the weapon files have 0 as their CritHitRolls yet they still seem to have a variable CritHitBonus. (A gauss cannon has a bonus of 15, a pulse phaser is -10 for instance, both have 0 rolls).

My question is do all weapons get an automatic one roll upon getting past the armour and then the weapon file can add more based on the above, or does 0 really mean 0, thus the bonus is completely irrelevant?

Return to “Modding”