Ship Section fixes Mod 1.8 (rev 19137b )

Moderator: Makail

Kohlrabi

Re: Ship Section fixes Mod 1.8 (rev 19137b )

Post by Kohlrabi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:51 am

Many of the files look new, but are old - they haven't been changed.
Some of them have been fixed though, despite not being mentioned in the patch notes.

You still have to go through all of them though :)
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:09 am

I haven't been doing much for this mod this week, but i plan on updating it tomorrow (or during the week-end).

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 am

Haven't made much progress this week-end. I did start updating, but i kind of lost my enthusiasm for it :(. Not sure it is worthwhile keeping that one up-to-date until the devs are done re-shaping the game. Anyway, i haven't given up yet, just don't feel working on it right now.

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:34 pm

The most disturbing thing is watching your fixed files get overwritten with bugged ones every new patch :D

I restrict my self to correcting the most important ships for the faction I'm currently playing - only a fraction of the scope of your mod, still a good source of frustration.

Loving the game compensates a lot though. ;)
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Kohlrabi wrote:The most disturbing thing is watching your fixed files get overwritten with bugged ones every new patch :D

Yeah, that's the annoying part; re-doing it each time. It's not hard to do, just time consuming. My mod affect just too many files, files that are very likely to be changed each patches...

Selak

Post by Selak » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 pm

you can avoid that by using the Generic Mod enabler.

you just have to remember to turn off the mod before you patch, then turn it on later.

Its rather easy to use and it does not require you to copy over files or anything like that as it handles all that for you as well as making it possible to revert to un modded game play with the push of a few buttons on the Mod Enabler Interface.

Yes this does work with steam games as I am using it on a number of them and have been using it periodically with SOTS2 though currently I am mostly playing un-modded at the moment because the fast patch cycle has a tendency to make playing with mods difficult as the fix/change/add things in the section files.

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 am

Selak wrote:you can avoid that by using the Generic Mod enabler.

you just have to remember to turn off the mod before you patch, then turn it on later.

Its rather easy to use and it does not require you to copy over files or anything like that as it handles all that for you as well as making it possible to revert to un modded game play with the push of a few buttons on the Mod Enabler Interface.

Yes this does work with steam games as I am using it on a number of them and have been using it periodically with SOTS2 though currently I am mostly playing un-modded at the moment because the fast patch cycle has a tendency to make playing with mods difficult as the fix/change/add things in the section files.

Nah, my main issue isn't replacing/restoring the game files, but merging my mod with each updates so the files i use are up to date. That part is time consuming as i have to check all files i want to merge and see if there is anything worth merging. I know there are tools to do that but i still prefer to do it by comparing files manually so i'm sure what is merged or not. I haven't updated this mod in a while, i'm waiting for the devs to be mostly done changing stuff so i only need a minor merge instead of check about every files i changed.

Selak

Post by Selak » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 pm

yeah i know what you mean by that....I have been trying to track changes and the original data but dont put a huge about of time into it so i have never gotten a good breakdown of the data to look at. Maybe I should look into writting a program to read the raw section files and do something with it. I just dont know what or how at the moment so manually typing it into excel to be able to compare stuff is the only way I do it now.

I am half tempted to make a station mod similar to this one but it only deals with stations. Much smaller pool of files to mess with but i need to get myself motivated to do it and then dedicate the time to doing it and getting all the original data so I know what i want to change and how i want to change it.

DeKa

Post by DeKa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

it is dead, Jim... i mean rayp.

i mean your link in the opening post ; )

Rayp

Post by Rayp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:34 pm

DeKa wrote:it is dead, Jim... i mean rayp.

i mean your link in the opening post ; )

Again? Does this forum has an expiration date or something for linked files? Anyway, it's terribly outdated so i don't think it's worth posting again until i decide to make a new version. Like i said in an earlier post, i would rather wait a few game updates so the devs deal with all the bugs/issues left in section files before attempting to re-balance once more. I don't like having tons of files to check/merge each time i want to update my mod.

I can post it again if you insist though (but all improvements made in the last few patches won't be included).

Return to “Modding”