Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

hagop

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.8c)

Post by hagop » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Great work on the GG Daequeous! I have so missed being able to set the distance between systems A few questions(sorry if I missed the answer in the thread somewhere).

Can I use the GG maps in MP if I distribute the map to every one playing?

I have you had time to look into the system generation code? Do we have access for messing with it this time around, or are only home systems editable?

Is their any way to make sure that teams start on the same side of a map?
"Soldiers Live and wonder why"

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:53 pm

hagop wrote:Can I use the GG maps in MP if I distribute the map to every one playing?

Short answer: Don't know.
Long answer: I would assume that you could if everyone involved has access to the same map. After all, Kerberos have been talking about an official map edior, so it makes no sense if user created maps cannot be played in multiplayer.

hagop wrote:have you had time to look into the system generation code? Do we have access for messing with it this time around, or are only home systems editable?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Well, the main purpose of the GG is to generate random maps, so being able to tailor the content of individual systems is not supposed to be a feature. Pinpoint control and fine tuning is what a map editor does. The GG is not a map editor, but rather something that could complement the eventual real official map editor. The home systems get some priority treatment in order to level the playing field at the very early game, but there are still no user friendly built-in support for changing them in the GG. However, everything is editable if you really want to, but it requires you to manually poke around in the starmap file.

hagop wrote:Is their any way to make sure that teams start on the same side of a map?

This also goes under the manual tweak section. There is no built-in support, but It is possible to arrange this with a bit of patience and tinkering. It would require you to identify the starting systems, fixate what player gets a particular system, and possibly move the starting locations. On page 7 of this topic there's information about manually changing starting locations and (a few replies further down) fixating what player gets what starting location.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Ninevah

Post by Ninevah » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Does anyone know how many stars are in some of the larger maps that come with the game--like Clusters or The Heavens? I'm trying to get an idea for how many stars to put into the GG to make similar sized maps.

Oh, and great work with the GG! This is awesome! Is there any way to build in some options for the Spiral map so you can force more stars in the arms, instead of the center? I like that map, but I'd like to force the arms to be more dense.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 am

Based on the number of <System> tags in those maps, there should be 151 systems in Clusters, 221 in The Heavens (and 199 in SotsVerse). Regarding the spiral maps, they are doubtlessly the most difficult to get the way you want them. There is no built in option to force more stars into the arms, so the best advice I can give you is to try to reduce the height, increase the minimum system distance and reduce the radius until you get an error message trying to generate the map, then slightly change one of them until it works. This way you get an equal distribution of stars throughout the entire map. Due to the randomness of system placement, sparse spirals tend to have less systems in the arms due to the size of the core in relation to the thin arms.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi, I love your galaxy generator and I use it all the time, thanks very much for adding this very important and useful feature to the game.

My only issue is with buffed homeworlds. I know some people requested it, but to me it seems strange to have homeworlds so buffed up when other systems are so poor in comparison. Is there any chance of adding a check box or slider or something so that we could decide whether we want buffed homeworlds or not?

Once again thanks for all your work in making this game better, it is much appreciated.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Thank you. I've thought about the home systems as well (among a million other things). I hope to be able to get some time to finish up a few things on the GG soon, and at least get a check box in for the buffed homeworlds. No promises, but check back in a couple of days.

sartha

Post by sartha » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:28 am

The issue with the random objects in the same orbit as other planets in home systems is caused by a lack of OrbitNumber specifications in the GG part of the home system makeup... example from a map I generated there were 5 normal planets, 1 gas giant and 1 asteroid belt specified in the 7th home system (in notepad) all of them had <OrbitNumber /> which normally would mean "pick an orbit" but the game doesn't know how to handle that. In all Kerberos maps whenever a body is specified (even a little bit) it's given a proper OrbitNumber such as <OrbitNumber>1</OrbitNumber>. I did a few tests to confirm this, my modified map doesn't produce any random object named "moons" in the home systems and instead has the neat and proper 5 planets, 1 gas giant and asteroid belt each in their own orbits.

Just food for thought.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 pm

I would say a reduced buff might be better. Quite simply the early game lacks a bit of money and production and the stronger homesystem helps even it out. But I have to admit that having a nigh perfect system makes the expansion of the empire seem a little odd.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 pm

i like having good starting systems for all players.
its much better then having one or two lucky guys and a bunch of victims.

however, what about spreading the climate hazzard range of the planets a bit?
i do this manually to my generated maps, and it again will prevent some players having all the planets at optimal and some at barely colonizable.

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:01 am

Tarrak wrote:I would say a reduced buff might be better. Quite simply the early game lacks a bit of money and production and the stronger homesystem helps even it out. But I have to admit that having a nigh perfect system makes the expansion of the empire seem a little odd.

I agree, but it would be nice to have the option of a buffed homeworld start if you want a relatively normal game or a non-buffed start if you want a tough game. Options are good because then everyone gets the chance to play the game the way that is right for them :)

Daequeous

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.9)

Post by Daequeous » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 am

Well, it took a bit longer than expected (for some reason people tend to want to socialize during Christmas, who knew?), but here is the 1.9 update.

• Spiral arm regions synchronized with arms regardless of curvature.
  • Added slider for number of arms in spiral galaxies: 2, 4, or 8.
  • Reduced maximum number of players from 10 to 8.
  • Made maximum number of players overridable in config file.
  • Added slider for buffed home systems: Unmodified, small buff, small random buff, large buff, large random buff.

Some additional information about home system buffing: The large buff is almost identical to the old static buff, but with a slightly greater variation in climate hazards. Large buffs get a buffed homeworld, 3 additional large planets, 1 small high resource planet and an asteroid belt. Small buffs get a standard homeworld and 2 additional medium planets. Random buffs contain the same additional planets as the non-random (or more accurately, less random) buffs, but with a greater variation in stats, e.g. climate hazard is completely random and resources can vary significantly.

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 am

Daequeous, this is totally awesome!, much better than I expected, couldn't possibly have asked for more! Thanks so much for all your hard work in getting this version out, I think you've made a lot of people (including myself) very happy :insane: Cant wait to download and give it a try.

sataricon

Post by sataricon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Ok i got every thing to work...kind of any way.
But every time i finish with a maps and i click create map it says failed to write galaxy to file.
Also i've been reading about player slots what are those?

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:24 pm

This is odd. What did you do to fix the problem?

Player slots are fields that specify what player gets what starting location. By default any player can get any starting location, but you can manually set the player slot for a starting location to make sure a specific player always starts at a specific system.

edit: And a tip, when you have something new to say please make a new post. If you edit your old one people who didn't see it before won't know what the problem was in the first place. And I don't get notifications about edited posts, only new ones.

sataricon

Post by sataricon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Sorry didn't know that you did read my post.
And i used that #GalaxyGeneratorDebug tool you mentioned 2 pages ago "was looking for answers"

You see all i wanted is a huge map with 2 players only so that each of us can have enough time to meet with fully armed fleets.
The problem i've been running into is that SOTS2 unlike the first one assign a starting location in the map for each faction which kind of stupid if you ask me and a step backword from the first one because at turn 60 or 70 i keep pumping into the other faction who happen to be setting at a very close cluster leaving the entire map empty and unused,

So all i needed in fact is the ability to play a huge map type where i can build at my leisure with no pressure.

Don't know what to do now and sadly ready to give up.

Return to “Modding”