Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

chasesan

Re: Daequeous' Galaxy Generator (v1.0)

Post by chasesan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Daequeous wrote:Thanks. The amount of research I did before committing to this was not exactly extensive, so I was unaware of your efforts. By glancing at your algorithms I see that you have linear algebra skills that I found myself lacking during parts of my implementation, and had to work around. It would seem we are using fairly different approaches, which is always interesting.

I like my tetrahedron lattice, it makes constructing large groups very easy.

If I hadn't been lazy, probably would have designed a nicer way to determine if a position in 3D space was already taken. Either via static mapping or k dimensional nearest neighbors (well in this case, 3).
“Programmers are just humans: forgetful, lazy, and they make every mistake imaginable.”

Daequeous

Re: Daequeous' Galaxy Generator (v1.0)

Post by Daequeous » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Yeah, I went for a more chaotic approach with spherical coordinates, with its pro's and con's. It's a bit messy and less structured, but on the other hand it's very random, which was what I was aiming for. So overall I'm quite satisfied even if there are a few methods which need some serious optimization... :roll:
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Daequeous

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.1)

Post by Daequeous » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

Version 1.1 is now available:
  • Max number of systems increased from 200 to 500.
  • Max number of nebulas increased from 5 to 10.
  • Lump radius defaults to 100 lightyears.
  • Multi-lump minimum cluster radius increased from 3 to 8.
  • Persistency of multi-lump algorithm increased by 50%, which means error messages are somewhat more reliable when dealing with border values.
Note that I highly recommend not going beyond 200 systems unless you know you have a very powerful cpu. Otherwise turn processing may become very slow.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Novak

Post by Novak » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:31 pm

awesome :D

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Using it and loving it - thank you!

Now *cough*, the mandatory request...
Would it be possible to make the starting systems (your 'main' system) different from regular systems in some way?
Either through sliders, or just plain better through fixed settings.
It seems like it's fairly easy to mod manually by copy/pasting from the stock maps, but it would be a really
nice feature for the Galaxy Generator.

Keep up the good work!
(the mod is great even without this feature)
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm glad you like it :D

System level editing is not something I've looked into yet. I'll put it on my todo-list. As you said, making the starting systems better through fixed settings seems pretty straight forward, so I'll make that a high priority task. I'll make no promises about in-depth control of starting system stats though. I'm also rather busy at the moment, so don't expect any kind of update for at least a week... :(

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 am

Great - thanks!

LuggLD

Post by LuggLD » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 am

You can simply add mostly empty <Planet /> blocks to the <Orbits /> block in the respective system - the missing attributes will be randomized, as far as I could see. However, it seems to me (or maybe it was just my limited sample that gave the impression) that if you don't add a <Size> value, the randomizer chooses a size between 1 and 3, like it does for moons. The rest should be pretty straightforward :)

Keep up the good work! If you go on like this, I won't even have to finish my own generator ;)

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:54 am

LuggLD wrote:Keep up the good work! If you go on like this, I won't even have to finish my own generator ;)

Agreed. :)

btw, Daequeous, could add an Import feature for SotS1 maps?

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:12 pm

LuggLD wrote:You can simply add mostly empty <Planet /> blocks to the <Orbits /> block in the respective system - the missing attributes will be randomized, as far as I could see. However, it seems to me (or maybe it was just my limited sample that gave the impression) that if you don't add a <Size> value, the randomizer chooses a size between 1 and 3, like it does for moons. The rest should be pretty straightforward :)

This is what I wanted to hear, thank you :D I'll see if I can make something happen during the coming week.

Eleahen wrote:btw, Daequeous, could add an Import feature for SotS1 maps?

I can see why you'd want that, though it's a somewhat more meaty request. I assume you mean more like a converter, so given a SotS1 map it will produce a SotS2 map. I am not familiar with SotS prime mapping at all, but from what I can see the basics are fairly simple. However, the SotS1 maps that I've seen does not have node lines specified (did SotS1 generate those by itself?), which can be a problem, since it would mean writing a new node line algorithm for a predefined starmap (which is trickier than what I'm currently doing in the generator). It would also require some new GUI elements, which are fairly time consuming to create. On the other hand, I already have a decent data structure and the output writer, so what's left is a Sots1 starmap parser, some GUI elements and a new node line algorithm. I may be able to get something decent together (no promises) but it will be a low priority task.

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:25 am

I've been enjoying the latest version of the Galaxy Generator as well, and it's a great possibility to be able to generate an entirely new galaxy every time you play. Clusters and Lump are my favorites so far.

Now, if I was allowed a personal wishlist, of which features I would like to see in a future version:

a) 'Buffed up' starting systems. Easily done manually, but would be nice.
b) The possibity to use a personalized list of system names, like the region names file that exist right now.
c) 'Flat' galaxies (currently available through the height setting), that were thinner in the rim, and thicker in the centre - this could be a slider that could be used on some of the existing galaxy types.
d) Spiral arm galaxies.

Thanks!

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Kohlrabi wrote:a) 'Buffed up' starting systems. Easily done manually, but would be nice.

This will happen. Soonish.

Kohlrabi wrote:b) The possibity to use a personalized list of system names, like the region names file that exist right now.

Seems fairly simple, I'll put it on my todo-list.

Kohlrabi wrote:c) 'Flat' galaxies (currently available through the height setting), that were thinner in the rim, and thicker in the centre - this could be a slider that could be used on some of the existing galaxy types.

This is a bit tricky. It will not happen in the near future. However, you should be able to somewhat emulate this by tuning the intrasphere. Use a high height-value for the inner sphere, a lower height for the outer sphere, and set the max radius of the inner sphere to the same as the min radius of the outer sphere.

Kohlrabi wrote:d) Spiral arm galaxies.

I want to do this, but I don't have any obvious solution at the moment. Can't guarantee anything.

LuggLD

Post by LuggLD » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Daequeous, since I seem to not be making much progress on my own map generator at the moment, would you be interested in having a look at it to see whether there are any generation algorithms that you find useful? I wouldn't mind if you used them, yours is a much more polished product than mine ;)

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm

@Daequeous:

Wow, looking forward to it, and thanks for the tip! (will try)

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:06 pm

LuggLD wrote:Daequeous, since I seem to not be making much progress on my own map generator at the moment, would you be interested in having a look at it to see whether there are any generation algorithms that you find useful? I wouldn't mind if you used them, yours is a much more polished product than mine ;)

That is very generous, though the fact that I know nothing about python may be a bit problematic. Especially considering that I don't have time to learn it at the moment... :(

Return to “Modding”