Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

NoDMoD

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.8c)

Post by NoDMoD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Daequeous wrote:I think the format of the starmap files have changed slightly in the latest update, I can't even get to the create game menu without a crash. Once I've restored the game to a clean, stable install and got rid of the crashes I'll start looking into the problem.

Edit: I have crashes all over the place; sometimes when I start the game, sometimes when I click create game button and sometimes when I launch a new game. I get the same crash even on stock maps from time to time. Verifying the integrity of the steam cache didn't help, so I'll just delete everything and redownload the whole game again just to be sure nothing is contested by my own mods, but i have a feeling not all of this is because of custom maps and mods...

From what I have read in the Technical Support forum it seems to be a new bug issue.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Ah, that's kinda... good, in a way, I guess. Then I'll wait and see before trying to chase phantom bugs.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

NoDMoD

Post by NoDMoD » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Is there a way to set the Player Slot when changing starting positions in a generated map?

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Yes, each system has a tag <PlayerSlot> for this purpose. In the generated maps it's not set, i.e. <PlayerSlot />, but you can change it to e.g. <PlayerSlot>1</PlayerSlot> which will make player 1 always start at that system.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

NoDMoD

Post by NoDMoD » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Daequeous wrote:Yes, each system has a tag <PlayerSlot> for this purpose. In the generated maps it's not set, i.e. <PlayerSlot />, but you can change it to e.g. <PlayerSlot>1</PlayerSlot> which will make player 1 always start at that system.

I was actually thinking I can add the <PlayerSlot>, but I wanted to be sure before i screw up the map :)

Thx a lot!

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible to create the double spiral or spiral collision map (the one where you have two spirals angled differently around the same axis)? I loved that map to death in Prime. Oh the conflicts it spawned, yet you almost always had a way out.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am

I've thought about a double spiral map. Making two spirals is easy, but angling them in a decent manner will require me to brush up on some math I haven't used in several years, that's why it hasn't been done yet... At the moment I'm having difficulties finding time to work on it, but eventually I'm hoping to get this done.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Sounds like a reasonable explaination to me. :D

Good to know I'm not the only one who liked that map. I believe, in my heart, that it is by far the best sots prime map, in fairness, in early expansion possibilities and in direction. It is relatively easy to stump another empire by expanding into their arm in regular spirals, double spirals tend to offer them a way past and blockage. Yet, the game progresses in a fairly predictable way (the good predictable of course, not the boring one), while there is a lot of potential fights for hte center and the protection of each 'homeland' arm.
It just seemed to me that the usual lategame stomp never truly happened on it as you had to be able to keep an eye on many fronts with a significant amount of frontage.

Like Spiral the center is the juicy target, but unlike Spiral you can't just wall it off.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

SirPudd

Post by SirPudd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:12 pm

I've used the Galaxy Generator to make a few maps I've played on, mostly multi-lumps. It seems that the last couple have had a very high number of empty systems or systems with all Gas Giants , or planets w/ just very very high CH numbers. Is that just a couple bad rolls?

Also wondering how far apart others like there systems. I put this last one at minimum distance = 6ly, and for the most part, systems seem to be....7-9 ly's apart.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Yeah, those would be bad rolls, the GG doesn't specify system content beyond the starting systems.

galacticemperorgaret

Post by galacticemperorgaret » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 pm

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: They should hire you, this should be in that new patch coming out!

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Yes indeed, this program/tool is really essential!
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am

I'm just happy they made this possible. With so many games these days frowning on any form of modding support it's wonderful to see how much Kerberos has left open to fiddle with even without tools. I wish more companies were like this.

Baleur

Post by Baleur » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am

I wish they would just incorporate this into the game, even if it was a "duct-tape-job" by putting a link to the .jar file in the launcher window under a "Galaxy Generator" button or whatever.
Every person that bought this game NEEDS this app, it adds so much replayability.

Bug report though, i saw one system generated with a planet type called "CB_undefined" or "*BT-unspecifiedrocky" or something or other.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:10 am

Very flattering :D

I do think though, that the bug you mentioned isn't caused by the GG. The reason I believe this is that the generator pretty much tells Sots2 "I want a system here, here and here, put whatever planets you like into them", so the planets, their position, name, type etc will be determined by Sots2 on a game by game basis. Then again, there are a few predefined planets in the starting systems, and if it was one of those that weren't behaving then I might be able to fix it.

Return to “Modding”