Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

Daequeous

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.9)

Post by Daequeous » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Did you run the .bat file from that page and that made it work? It may be that for some reason the path variable didn't get set properly when installing the JRE and that is messing up the read/write file paths. You could try to set the path variable yourself, it might help. Just be careful. Have a look here:

http://java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

Different parts of he path variable are separated by semicolon. At the end of the existing paths you'll want to add a semicolon followed by the path to the bin directory of the JRE installation. For example: ;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_18\bin (but with your own path instead).
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:07 am

Daequeous I have a question. With a totally unbuffed home world, does your map generator or the normal SOTS game generate the home system? I know that with buffed homeworlds, the galaxy generator does the home worlds and the game does all the other star systems, but what about unbuffed?

Its working fine btw, tried it many times and I love the replay value that it gives. Thanks again for this mod, it has really made SOTS II a much better game.

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you for the update!
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 am

Lucian wrote:Daequeous I have a question. With a totally unbuffed home world, does your map generator or the normal SOTS game generate the home system? I know that with buffed homeworlds, the galaxy generator does the home worlds and the game does all the other star systems, but what about unbuffed?

Well, unless something has been changed in Sots2, the game itself is involved in the home systems regardless of whether they are buffed or not. If they are buffed the starmap file tells the game that this and that should be in the system, then at the start of a game session Sots2 may generate additional content (so buffed home systems aren't identical, they just have at least the buffed stuff in them), if they are unbuffed this "additional content" is all you get.

Lucian wrote:Its working fine btw, tried it many times and I love the replay value that it gives. Thanks again for this mod, it has really made SOTS II a much better game.

Thank you! And please report things that aren't working as intended. While I do try it out before each release, I wouldn't call it extensive testing...
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm

if they are unbuffed this "additional content" is all you get.

Got it, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming it.

Thank you! And please report things that aren't working as intended. While I do try it out before each release, I wouldn't call it extensive testing...

I certainly will, but so far it seems to work fine. I have tested it with disk and spiral galaxies with no buff and full buff. Nothing else yet.

nugarin

Post by nugarin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Is 500 a "hard" limit? I'd like to try a map with about 10K star systems. Is it possible to get a version with 20x larger caps please? One would love to tinker with huge maps.

Cheers,
nugarin

Enjelus

Post by Enjelus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:06 am

nugarin wrote:Is 500 a "hard" limit? I'd like to try a map with about 10K star systems. Is it possible to get a version with 20x larger caps please? One would love to tinker with huge maps.

Cheers,
nugarin

10k systems D:

I don't even want to think about those end turn times...

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 am

Enjelus wrote:
nugarin wrote:Is 500 a "hard" limit? I'd like to try a map with about 10K star systems. Is it possible to get a version with 20x larger caps please? One would love to tinker with huge maps.

Cheers,
nugarin

10k systems D:

I don't even want to think about those end turn times...

lol, Yeah you'd need a computer the size of a Matrioska Brain for that.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am

Hard? No. More of a practical limit. It can be increased, but not that much. The GG was never designed for such (in this context) huge numbers, and neither was the game itself. I have successfully generated maps with 1000 systems, which takes a while to do, but otherwise seems to work, i.e. I can start a game on them. I've also generated a 2500 system map, but that took far too long to be practical, and while it did (eventually) render in the create game screen, Sots2 crashed when trying to start a game on it. So 10000 systems is out of the question, but I can make it possible to override the max number of systems up to 1000 in the config file.

Edit: 1500 also seems to work, as long as you don't have any intention of actually finishing a game on it before you die of old age...

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 am

Ok, I've thrown together a version where the max number of systems is overridable. This is not a proper release and won't show up on the main post, but it will be available in the next proper version as well. Oh, and #Guids.txt is no longer required.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nugarin

Post by nugarin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Ty!

nugarin

Post by nugarin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 am

Daequeous wrote:Ok, I've thrown together a version where the max number of systems is overridable. This is not a proper release and won't show up on the main post, but it will be available in the next proper version as well. Oh, and #Guids.txt is no longer required.

FYI, spiral map arms upper limit should be probably be in sync with player numbers - one can create 20 player maps, but the arm count upper limit is 8.

Thor131

Post by Thor131 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:14 pm

nugarin wrote:FYI, spiral map arms upper limit should be probably be in sync with player numbers - one can create 20 player maps, but the arm count upper limit is 8.

It might be nice to have other numbers for arms for it as well, like 3 for a 3 player map having all players start near the end then fight over the middle.

Also eventually it might be nice to have a way to edit nebula type/positions later on as well for the editor, after over 200 tries to get them in the potions i want my fingers get tired.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am

Thor131 wrote:
nugarin wrote:FYI, spiral map arms upper limit should be probably be in sync with player numbers - one can create 20 player maps, but the arm count upper limit is 8.

It might be nice to have other numbers for arms for it as well, like 3 for a 3 player map having all players start near the end then fight over the middle.

Also eventually it might be nice to have a way to edit nebula type/positions later on as well for the editor, after over 200 tries to get them in the potions i want my fingers get tired.

The "official" limit of the generator is 8 players, because that's what I know works well in game. Since generating spiral arms in particular is somewhat tricky there probably won't be more than 8 of them. The reason for the 2,4,8 numbering is simply that it's practically the same map with some arms stripped away (yeah I'm lazy), i.e. the position of the arms, or their angle, or however you want to look at it, is unaltered. If you put an 8 arm map A over a 4 arm map B all arms of B would be covered by arms of A. In a 6 (or 3) arm map the positions and angles are different, that's why they are not in yet. I want that too though, so when I get some more time I'll see if I can make it happen (so you can make 2,3,4,6,8 arm spirals), but I have no idea when that will be unfortunately.

Regarding nebulae, their positioning is fine tuning I'd rather leave to the official map editor (whenever that shows up). The types... hm... that will require some thinking, it was never really designed to controllable. I might be able to do something about that, but don't count on it.

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 pm

How difficult would it be to just get rid of all the nebulae? I find them kind of annoying as they always just seem to get in the way of what I want to look at. If it would be too difficult, don't worry about it because its only a minor annoyance at wost.

Return to “Modding”