Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

Daequeous

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.9)

Post by Daequeous » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Lucian wrote:How difficult would it be to just get rid of all the nebulae? I find them kind of annoying as they always just seem to get in the way of what I want to look at. If it would be too difficult, don't worry about it because its only a minor annoyance at wost.

If you create maps with the GG you can set the nebula slider to 0 and there won't be any nebulae in the map. Any other maps you can manually remove nebulae by tinkering with the files if you really want to, just look for <StellarBody> and remove as you see fit, or possibly just set <IsVisible> to false (haven't tried, but it seems logical).
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Daequeous wrote:Any other maps you can manually remove nebulae by tinkering with the files if you really want to, just look for <StellarBody> and remove as you see fit, or possibly just set <IsVisible> to false (haven't tried, but it seems logical).

Thanks, that sounds pretty easy, I'll give it a go.

Darv57

Post by Darv57 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Just found this. Loving it. Thank you. :D

CGBartram

Post by CGBartram » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:27 am

Hi there, new to G.G . So I downloaded 1.9 and unpacked via zip to its own folder ,shoved it directly to maps of sots2 folder ,made sure I have JAVA runtime 1.7 and proceeded to test the GG out but all i got was nothing , no wait a slight glimpse of a black screen then nothing.

So any ideas, did the installation fine?
Thanks for your time.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 am

Hm, interesting. Ok, let's try this:

1. Right-click the .jar -> Open with -> Choose default program -> Browse.
2. Navigate to the bin directory of your java installation, e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin.
3. Select javaw.exe -> Open.

Actually, anyone who have problems starting the GG, including it not being able to find #RegionNames.txt or similar, may want to try this. Please let me know if it works or not.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

CGBartram

Post by CGBartram » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi there, sorry for the long reply, and thanks for trying but its a no go, very odd. !grr

Tried older versions same thing.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Damn. If you try to start it from a command window you may be able to see some kind of error message. Go to the folder where the .jar is, hold shift and right-click on empty space, choose "open command window here". If your java path variable is set you should be able to start the generator by typing:

java -jar #GalaxyGenerator.jar (and hit enter)

If your path variable is not set, you must specify where the java executable is, e.g.

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar #GalaxyGenerator.jar (try both java.exe and javaw.exe)

With some luck, some kind of error message will appear in the command window... Thing is, if it doesn't even load the GUI there may be something wrong beyond the scope of the GG, which makes it kinda difficult to debug, but we'll try anyway.

dimstog

Post by dimstog » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:21 am

I don't know if this tool is abandoned or not or if this could be necroing this thread, however I have to make this post to thank the developer for it. It is simply awesome. Thank so much for putting your hard work and vision into it.

Brawler

Post by Brawler » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 am

I also wanted to say thanks to the creator of this very handy tool! 8)

I encountered an issue where my patrolling fleets were getting reaction intercepts on an enemy construction fleet many light years away (30-40+ly). This was still in the early game with fusion drives while playing as Suul'ka horde so I'm not sure how 6ly node travel managed to catch someone many turns away.

I don't know this is a bug with the map generation or a bug that already exists in the game. I haven't played many of the stock maps, only used them for training and looking for a random experience every time I play now. Has anyone else had this issue? I ended up starting a new game/map as it was getting annoying with reaction shots every turn on same enemy construction fleet deep in their core worlds...

Darv57

Post by Darv57 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 am

I've had the same bug while playing Suul'ka recently. I don't think its a GG thing. You should probably drop it in Tech if you haven't already.

Brawler

Post by Brawler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks for the confirmation. Is there an existing thread that I can join in or should I create a new one? Also how may I upload the save game file if anyone is interested in investigating it? Basically just gotta load up my save game and hit turn and you will have a high chance of intercepting a fleet very very far away with defensive patrol fleets I've set up across my empire.

Darv57

Post by Darv57 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 am

Took a quick look and couldn't see any threads. Probably should make your own, see this thread for advice as to how to do that.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=29862

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

dimstog wrote:I don't know if this tool is abandoned or not or if this could be necroing this thread, however I have to make this post to thank the developer for it. It is simply awesome. Thank so much for putting your hard work and vision into it.

Just stopping by to say it's appreciated, and that the GG is not completely abandoned, more like "indefinitely on hold"... which I guess is almost abandoned...

Brawler

Post by Brawler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Alright thanks, will go post it later when I have a bit more time.

Does anyone have recommendations for settings to use in GG? I have been experimenting with GG for a while and either my galaxies are too small and not spaced out so some races have distinct advantages where they can jump between your worlds in early game or the map is too large and you get war declared at turn 75 but can't reach the enemy until turn 200-300 which makes for a somewhat boring game as all you're fighting are pirates and spectres. :(

Brawler

Post by Brawler » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 am

After much experimenting I found the following map generation works quite well:

Clusters
-=-=-=-=-
Systems: 105
Players: 7------------------Clusters: 7
Height: 60% ---------------Cluster Height: 60%
Radius: 42 ly---------------Cluster Radius: 20 ly
Nebulas: 2
Minimum system distance: 4 ly
Home systems: Unmodified

This generates a map with following features:

- Map is not symmetrical and some clusters can contain stars that are far apart while others with close stars and some a mix of both :) This makes for an interesting map where some races may have inherent advantage or disadvantage for their starting location. Life is never fair :P
- All the 7 clusters have correct geographical names and bubbles so the map doesn't look weird (some of the other map types can have random geographical names in the middle of nowhere which doesn't make sense). Not sure if this makes a difference with AI behaviour but I read in a few forum posts that it supposedly does?
- Each of the 7 races will have approximately 15 systems to colonise before clashing borders and fights ensue hence my choice of 105 systems. If you enjoy having more systems to settle you may bump this to 150 and the map also works quite well.
- 2 Nebulas don't seem to be too visually distracting while adding some colour to the map unless you get a ginormous nebula that blinds the whole map. Recreate :lol:

Return to “Modding”