Galaxy Generator (v1.9b)

Moderator: Makail

Daequeous

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.6)

Post by Daequeous » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm

123 wrote: when i create map and look it on game and then change it to get different map and when i select again that map then game collapse and i must open it again and select again create game!

Most of the sliders are safe to change and then click the map again to update it, BUT, if you change the number of players or the name of the map you have to go back to the main menu and click create game again to update the map properly.

123 wrote: when i start playing on new map then seems that all players start very close each other

The starting positions are very random, so if all players start close to each other you've probably just had a bit of bad luck. That said, the starting positions could really use an overhaul. At the moment the minimum distance between starting locations is a static value (15 ly) which does not scale with larger maps. I will investigate better solutions.

123 wrote: when i previev map then there seems one big bubble(1 region?)

Yes, all maps except clusters and multi-lump use a single region/terrain object. It works, but it's not optimal, and is something I intend to correct sometime in the future.

123 wrote: minimum range between stars is 3 LY?Can it be bit smaller,like 1,5 LY?

I would prefer to keep it an integer number (1,2,3, etc), but I can easily give you the option to go all the way down to 1.

Tarrak wrote: One tihng I have noticed with the generated maps, I haven't seen on official maps are the odd RandomOrbital planets.

That's nice, but I can't take credit for it. All I do is position star systems, exactly what ends up in them is all Kerberos' doing (I only do some minor tweaks to the homeworlds).

Tarrak wrote: Another thing that might be worth to mention in the text for Spiral is that it doesn't appear to be a fully functional spiral. Oftentimes my generated spirals have stumpy arms despite 100LY size. And those arms often mush together to form some sort of starmist at the edge of the core.

The spiral is (*almost) fully functional. It scales with size and is capable of creating well shaped spiral galaxies regardless if you make them 10 or 100 ly. The problem you are experiencing is caused by the number of stars (too few) in relation to the volume (too large) of the map. If you give it a set volume defined by the radius and height sliders, and then cram it full with as many stars you can possibly fit in there (you may want to increase the minimum system distance if you have a large map), you will get a well shaped spiral galaxy.

* There appears to be a problem with one of the eight arms that get cut off, but the other seven are working.

Tarrak wrote: the starting positions are unfortunately not in the arms

Starting positions overall need some love, but I don't want them to be entirely predictable either. I will see what I can do.
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

Post by 123 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 pm

123 wrote: minimum range between stars is 3 LY?Can it be bit smaller,like 1,5 LY?
Daequeous wrote:I would prefer to keep it an integer number (1,2,3, etc), but I can easily give you the option to go all the way down to 1.

You are good man :love:

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Daequeous wrote:* There appears to be a problem with one of the eight arms that get cut off, but the other seven are working.

Yes, most arms work nicely, only one or two do seem a bit wonky. I don't think it was a matter of too few stars as the stars were merely spread out rather than formed together in the arm.
Starter placement could possibly be a selection, either in the arms or random. My personal oppinion is just that Spiral doesn't offer any advantage over the Disc or Sphere galaxies other than the arms, so if they don't impact the gameplay, I don't see a reason to use it. But that is just me.

But again, Lump is awesome. Will try Multi-Lump as Clouds appeals to me.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

alekssandros

Post by alekssandros » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:04 pm

a 500 system galaxy, can slower the game? anyone try it out?

Playing a spyral with 350 stars on SotS 1 take me a real month to take 2 arms from enemy...

a 500 system spyral would be EPIC!!!!!!! O_O (I'll reserve this for the SotS2 final pass ^^)

PS: AWESOME MOD!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!

Strategist0083

Post by Strategist0083 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Currently working on a cluster map and I was curious to know if there was a way to make all node lines visible.

I want to make sure that each cluster has at least 1-2 node lines going to each of their neighboring clusters.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:21 pm

alekssandros wrote:a 500 system galaxy, can slower the game? anyone try it out?
Playing a spyral with 350 stars on SotS 1 take me a real month to take 2 arms from enemy...

A 500 system galaxy is quite extreme. Remember that each of those systems can have multiple planets, which makes it even larger than a 500 system map in SotS 1 would have been. So I would actually not recommend playing on such a huge map, as the turn times would probably get insanely long. As a comparison, I think the sotsverse is around 345 systems.

Strategist0083 wrote:Currently working on a cluster map and I was curious to know if there was a way to make all node lines visible.

While I don't have any such thing myself, you could try one of these:
External Starmap Viewer
3D Mapmaker
Random starmap generator with property sliders (and SotS prime map converter): Galaxy Generator

alekssandros

Post by alekssandros » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:14 pm

I can't open "create" with the GG open, so the game CTD

10 nebulas gime error message and posterior CTD

except that, it works perfectly :)

And I think, I'll do a 200 systems spyral when the game be complete :)

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 am

Thank you for reporting that bug, I will reduce the maximum number of nebulas to 9.

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:21 pm

10 nebulas has never been a problem for me though - are you sure that it is the nebulas?
I've probably generated 30 different 10-nebula galaxies, and never had a CTD.

I would actually like to see the max amount increased - they look awesome!. :)
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 pm

God forbid the thing behaving consistently, that would have been far too easy :roll:

There is something odd though, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the nebulas, but it may be in conjunction with something else. If that's the case it will probably require a bit more effort than just adjusting a maximum value in order to correct it. Either way I won't know for sure until I get some time to dig into it.

Regarding the CTD when creating a game with the GG open, I have never experienced any such problems. I regularly run both the GG and SotS 2 simultaneously without problems, so I don't know what's happening there.

Kohlrabi

Post by Kohlrabi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm

I've used the galaxy generator for quite some time now, and I've generated quite a few galaxies.
The only CTD's I've had has been with earlier versions and name duplication,
or when botching up my own manual file editing (= not because of the GG).

I use win 7, professional edition, 64-bit. Could the CTD's be because of .NET framework issues or something similar?
Hiver Psychoanalyst: So... tell me about our mother.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 pm

yeah, its working fine for me too.

i have a question though: is it planned to have a galaxy previw within the generator anytime? i think that would be verry handy, especially if it would show the starting points. imo, a good map stands and falls with its starting points, and right now i dont see a way to check em without plaing through a map.
(there are other threads within the moding forum about tools that are supposed to do this, but one is a rather complicated phyton tool, and the other ones download link is broken. both tools havnt been updated for quite some time and seem to be abandoned, too.)

alekssandros

Post by alekssandros » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 pm

not sure if nebulas are the problem

but I create 3 maps with 10 nebulas and select them gimme that error and then CTD, do u need an imag of the error to know what can be?

Daequeous

Post by Daequeous » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 am

The next version is now well on the way, and addresses some of the issues discussed earlier. However, the nebula bug is somewhat illusive. I have narrowed it down to the last nebula generated sometimes not getting coordinates properly, but it's not particularly consistent, and it's not unique to 10 nebula maps. I will probably release 1.7 without it.

A preview function is something I've thought about, but doing 3D in Java is not trivial, and I have no experience working with it. If I ever feel the urge to dabble into it, it will probably start with a 2D preview function. Still, this will probably not happen, so don't get your hopes up.

Daequeous

Re: Galaxy Generator (v1.7)

Post by Daequeous » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am

Version 1.7 is now available:
  • Fixed a bug where nebula generation sometimes created invalid starmap files.
  • Fixed the broken arm in spiral galaxies.
  • Each cluster may now only contain a single start location.
  • The minimum distance between start locations in non cluster maps now scale with map size and number of players.
  • The Galaxy Generator now properly closes each output file without shutting down the generator.
  • Arms in spiral galaxies are now significantly more bent.
  • Nebulas in lumps are now spread out better across the map.
  • Each non cluster map is now divided into 4 regions*.
  • Max number of nebulas increased from 10 to 20.
  • Minimum possible system distance reduced from 3 to 1

* This is a static "first step" implementation towards dynamic regions.

Return to “Modding”