Can the main menu combat sequence cause a crash with mods?

Moderator: Makail

Astatine

Can the main menu combat sequence cause a crash with mods?

Post by Astatine » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 pm

(or the other way round)

If there's something wrong with a modded file, maybe for a weapon or ship-section that's been changed, when would that first show up? If we say for the sake of discussion the mistake is a crash/exception level problem with the file, when would this crash show up?

If it would happen when the weapon or ship-section was first used, would that mean the game would crash due to the in-engine combat sequence that plays to decorate the main menu? If so, exactly when in the loading sequence would this be likely to occur? (still assuming the file is so damaged that it throws an exception).
Life is sometimes stranger than fiction

Rayp

Re: Can the main menu combat sequence cause a crash with mod

Post by Rayp » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:15 pm

A simple typo or a missing line in some file can cause a crash, the file doesn't even need to be corrupted.

Exavier724

Post by Exavier724 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:12 am

Yes... The main menu combat sequence is actual combat and can randomly select sections/weapons from modded data which means that if you messed something up enough to generate an exception the main menu combat will throw an exception if the bad code is called.

As for the exact point in the loading that the exception is thrown. Well that depends on what you broke and when it loads :P
Thats assuming it gets selected for preview. I have only had a handful of weapons that I have made show up in the main menu battles.

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Post by rimbimbambo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Here are a list of assets that get loaded in the front end (by random and mixed up with races):

dn_cmd_assault.section
dn_mis_armor.section
dn_eng_fusion.section

cr_cmd.section
cr_cmd_assault.section
cr_cmd_hammerhead.section
cr_mis_armor.section
cr_mis_blazer.section
cr_mis_cnc.section
cr_mis_barrage.section
cr_mis_projector.section
cr_eng_fusion.section

The randomized ship is then fitted with random weapons that match one of the following payload types:

Beams
Bolts
Missiles
Torpedos

The reason we chose these is because they are available for every faction. If any of the assets are corrupt and will cause a crash on load, they will most likely crash at the main menu, otherwise, you wouldn't notice until you load the asset in game. The loading system is Asynchronous, so the engine loads the asset when it's needed - this is probably the biggest reason why loading times from sots 1 to sots 2 were reduced.

THIEFs

Post by THIEFs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 pm

just disable the menu battle sequence.. i wish it was OFF by default :) as it just rotates too much and causes disorientation.

i loved SOTS main menu...
or they could have made something a bit cooler and slower.. more epic.. like Battlestar galactica style...
slow movement of large ships.. planets, stations.. some neat eyecandy.. some distant battle... kind of randomly generated story :)

atm its all jerky as hell..

unfortunately it is hardcoded at the moment and can't be modded.

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Post by rimbimbambo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Really? That was one of the things us devs liked the most actually...

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 pm

I wonder if the camera did a few different moves other than circling a target if that would help some. I like the main menu combat, but I'd love to see some different camera moves. Maybe a swooping pass, similar to a nose camera view from a drone strafing run, or a fixed position under or above a ship pointed toward the nearest enemy ship but still showing a bit of the ship at the top/bottom of the screen. Something like that. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

rimbimbambo
Kerberos

Post by rimbimbambo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 pm

:) We talked about that, but didn't have enough time to implement it. Eventually, we'd like to put in an action cam that you can activate in combat as well as being always on the main menu.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 am

Will the menu sequence be mod-able eventualy?
No rush of course, Im just wondering if there is a long term plan for it or has it been too hardcoded for a change like that?

Return to “Modding”