Modding Picture of the day...

Moderator: Makail

Slashman

Re: Modding Picture of the day.

Post by Slashman » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Sounds like good stuff RS. I've always liked the concept of the SOTS ballistic weapons, I just always found myself moving toward energy weapons because they were less hassle. Interested to see where this goes.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon May 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Slashman wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm
Sounds like good stuff RS. I've always liked the concept of the SOTS ballistic weapons, I just always found myself moving toward energy weapons because they were less hassle. Interested to see where this goes.
I do like the vanilla ballistics but for how I've been imagining things and gameplay preferences, it really isn't compatible. While its cool to have ships get knocked around due to mass actually mattering, it can also get very annoying very quickly.

The largest flaws of vanilla ballistics is their supply consumption and how they very often miss. Since I don't know how Fire Control and AI Command stuff actually works in SOTS2 since I can't find any information within the .dll's or the files, I suspect all they do is lower deviation which doesn't do much to actually make them more accurate when firing at a target and it leading far too much.

----------------
Finally found an icon which makes some sense since I replaced Turret Installations a long time ago. Whether or not this makes actual sense, I'm not sure. But its better than what was there before.
"To construct anything larger than a dreadnought requires a reactor of not only immense power but of considerable size. Early experiments with massive reactors discovered that when a reactor gets to a certain size, the radiation given of by said reactor can breach any known alloy and will kill the crew of the ship. With dedicated funding for a new type of powered reactor core shielding system, it should become safe to start thinking about designing even bigger ships since they won't be literal death traps in the making."

First draft of the Tarkasian's ballistic super weapon.
"The Resonation Warhead is the Tarkasian ballistic super weapon. As it turns out, warp pulses can be controlled to a certain degree and placing a warp generator powered by a reflex-powered ballistic shell can allow a form of warp storm to form inside a target ship. This ship will be disabled for roughly sixty seconds while the crew can not function due to said warp storms within the ship; even Loa are not immune to this. This weapon can only be fitted to a Siege-class mount."

First draft of the inevitably overpowered Hiver ballistic super weapon. I think I know of an impact effect which'll do what I want.
"The Quantum Slicer is the Hiver's ballistic Super weapon. Using the same technology that transports their ships around using the gate network and combining it with a reflex power source has enabled a form of shockwave which will quite literally slice a ship in half. Armor can not stop this weapon and it can only be placed on Siege class mounts and even though it is harmless to a planet, it will destroy most smaller targets in a single shot and badly damage larger vessels if they survive."

This is a work in progress shot of the tech tree. The question marks indicate techs which I've not yet determined what I'm going to do with yet.
That's the old description of the shield breaker I should say, not yet updated it.

To the left are a corrosive (DoT) cannon, a ballistic based inertial cannon and a grav based ballistic weapon which should bring a ship to a dead stop or at least hold them in place.
After that is the ballistic torpedo, and two Stormer techs which are now HCL-class weapons with one being fusion era and the other being AM era.
AP and HEAP only exist for the fusion era right now and the icon which looks like the old VRF tech is the one which advances you to the Antimatter era.
Covered by the UI is the tech which advances you to the fusion ballistic era and where bursters are. The tech above the burster is the shotgun burster.
The green planet one is the bombardment rounds which are unchanged from the last version since they did very well.
The green magnet at the top is where Neutronium rounds used to be, it instead now serves as the way to unlock the reflex era ballistic weapons and is required for the two superweapons for the Hivers and Tarkas.
COL is still there but I'll be merging them when I get to it, so I've got four question marks which are spare techs right now and one question mark is Acceleration Amplification, of which I'll put its icon back when I get to it.

I am assuming that two of the question marks will wind up being AM-era weapons with the last two being reserved for reflex-era weapons.
------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Its time for some PH Lore! Within the tech tree? Yep... Due to AI improvements and other things, there's plenty of spare techs of which I can use for this purpose. All of these techs are free, do not do anything and are researched at the start.

"In this timeline, the Zuul have been waging war against both the Morrigi and Liiran Crusade for a much longer time and have found far greater success in doing such, having almost wiped out the Morrigi and convincing the Liirian Crusade to forget about forming alliances. The Suul'ka are in overall command and due to the vastly increased resources of the Zuul in this timeline have upgraded equipment but due to this, any and all alliances are impossible; Diplomatic penalties are so severe that any alliances are impossible, even between two Zuul factions."

"In this timeline, the Loa are much the same as they are in the Prime universe however they have become xenophobic to the point of refusing all diplomatic contact with anyone; even other Loa factions are enemies. They get such huge relation hits with all other races that they can never form an alliance or a peace treaty. The Loa do not care about this since they have by far the strongest individual ships in the entire local sector and are more than willing to purge anyone who may be a threat to them."

"In this timeline, Humanity has split into three warring factions: Section 7 which consists of the secret police forces which broke away from Solforce when it dissolved, EarthCom which is the official home of humanity since it holds the Sol system and MarsCom which contains the vast majority of Solforce's now exiled leadership. Humanity is generally neutral to the Hivers and Tarkas and likes the Morrigi but can not stand the Liirian Crusade, The Zuul or the Loa. Due to their ongoing civil war, they also have penalties towards other human factions."

"In this timeline, the Tarkas are the second oldest empire but unlike the Morrigi, they never fractured. While the Tarkas people value honor very highly, their combat tactics show much more prudence than other races as their ship designs tend to be highly optimized for success without taking huge fleet losses. The Tarkasian Empire tends to be indifferent towards the Morrigi, Hivers and other Tarkas factions, seeing them as fairly irrelevant. Recent human incursions into their space have bittered relations between the two races but otherwise remain neutral. The Loa and Zuul are very hostile to the Tarkas and vice-versa but no enemy gets more hatred then the Liirian Crusade..."

"In this timeline, the Hiver's nesting fleet which invaded the Sol System never fully committed to the invasion so the Diamond Queen survived and nested elsewhere, further expanding the Hiver Imperium. Hivers are dominated by rival 'doctrines' which have large impacts on their ship designs which tend to enforce each doctrine ship into a certain role. Due to this, a Hiver fleet is highly unpredictable. Hivers tend to be neutral towards everyone apart from the Liirian Crusade who they utterly despise and the Tarkasian Empire of which the Hivers have enjoyed a calm relationship with."
Note: It has been a long time since I read the lore of the Hivers\Solforce, so I may have gotten the name of the queen wrong. That can be fixed later if so.

"In this timeline, the Liirian Crusade has abandoned the ways of peace and diplomacy in order to focus on their very bloody war against the Suul'ka - all other concerns are secondary. They have taken the stance that any non-Liirian life must be destroyed in order to prevent the Suul'ka from feeding on their energy and prolonging the war which has put them in conflict with every other race. They have huge diplomatic penalties towards all other factions and only a minor bonus towards other Liirian Crusade factions; finding an ally of the Crusade is impossible."

"In this timeline, the Morrigi are a shattered empire attempting to rebuild after almost being wiped out by the Zuul and more recently by the Liirian Crusade. They tend to be the most flexible of all of the local races and are more than willing to enlist the aid of the other races... even rogue Liir. As they are rebuilding, they are neutral to the Hivers, Tarkas and other Morrigi but see good potential in Humanity, however they despise the Loa and naturally have huge diplomatic penalties against the Zuul and Liirian Crusade who they've sworn to deal with one way or another."

The Morrigi have the least amount of backstory so far, but that's because I've got to revisit them as a faction.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

How are you reassigning arbitrary effects to weapons/thrusters/etc?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

willdieh wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm
How are you reassigning arbitrary effects to weapons/thrusters/etc?
Weapons, they have a few options near the bottom of the file in regards to what they look like and what effects and\or models they use.

Engine exhausts are done by editing the model file of the ship section, changing one letter of the assigned exhaust then putting in a copy of an exhaust which you rename. This follows the same rules as in the Materials~ files in that it doesn't tolerate any size differences; for more information on that, my guide to editing the material file explains it better.

Actual editing of the effects remains impossible afaik, I just find an effect I want and use it.

Things like how long a weapon lives after detonating is a combination of its maximum range and its Time to Live setting; the burster shrapnel has 0.15 timetolive and a range of 250 for example. You're not limited to effects within the weapon folder either, the flame effects shown above are from 'effects\Damage\Turret_Medium_Destroyed.effect' which gives a nice amount of fire without too much smoke or FPS loss.

<MuzzleEffect> - The effect file played when the weapon fires or is spawned.
<BuildupEffect> - Unknown, not used it since MuzzleEffect does a better job.
<ImpactEffect> - The effect file played when the weapon impacts something or detonates.
<PlanetImpactEffect> - The effect file played when the weapon hits a planet's surface.
<BulletEffect> - The effect used to either spawn a trail on the projectile's model, an actual projectile or the beam itself if no model is set.
<RicochetEffect> - The effect used to portray it being reflected\deflected away from a target upon impact.

A note on effects is that the projectile speed does impact what is displayed. A quickly moving Mass Driver bullet effect looks a lot different than one moving slowly - this is highly noticeable for the tracking torpedo weapons.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm

This knowledge should go somewhere important so it's easy to find ... It's super awesome... Hope it doesn't get lost as an anecdote in this super long thread...

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

willdieh wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm
This knowledge should go somewhere important so it's easy to find ... It's super awesome... Hope it doesn't get lost as an anecdote in this super long thread...
Many solutions are quite hacky - changing the engine exhausts for example requires a duplicate model entry, and those models can get quite large. Its why I didn't make fusion-era LVs, doing that would increase the download size of PH by a few hundred mb easily.

Some of my guides are linked in that really old sticky up above at least.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed May 30, 2018 12:52 am

Just a quick query and reminder to all.

Has everyone here either donated to The Pit board game kickstarter or referred anyone who might be interested? If not, please do so sooner rather than later! We're really close to the kickstarter goal!

https://kck.st/2rhmiC3

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 am

Slashman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:52 am
Just a quick query and reminder to all.

Has everyone here either donated to The Pit board game kickstarter or referred anyone who might be interested? If not, please do so sooner rather than later! We're really close to the kickstarter goal!

https://kck.st/2rhmiC3
Bad timing on the KS for me personally, finances may not allow it. Won't know until next week. Even then it can't be shipped to me so I still don't know. Sorry. :(

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed May 30, 2018 2:18 am

Telling other potentially interested folks is also a good way to help. You can also make a small donation for no reward if your finances allow.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 am

We have a shipping deal with the entire world now.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed May 30, 2018 3:48 am

Slashman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:18 am
Telling other potentially interested folks is also a good way to help. You can also make a small donation for no reward if your finances allow.
My social circle is very small and doesn't include boardgame players since most of them have young kids who'd decimate anything they get their hands on.

If I back, it'll be on Friday my time since I'll know what my budget is for the next month. I don't have the disposable income I used to, so I have to justify pretty much any expenditure. I can't promise anything else since my life is almost as chaotic as a soap opera.
Mecron wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 am
We have a shipping deal with the entire world now.
My bad for not explaining; it isn't about shipping to aus this time. It is more that I can't get any deliveries from the mail at all since postal workers are too scared to enter my complex due to the violence my neighbors inflict on pretty much anyone who dares come near. This means they leave any parcels quite literally on the road and don't contact me, so it just gets swiped. I don't even get mail very often due to that either.

One of the many reasons why I'm waiting to move out of this almost literal hell hole.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 am

You just take care of yourself first and foremost.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah just do you for now RS. You're not the only one active in this thread.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm

*Waves*

I'm here too sometimes! Lurking in the background. Mainly interjecting on PH stuff.

Awesome board game! If we were more into them I would probably contribute but uh... I'm broke and don't really like board games.

Keep it up though!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 30, 2018 10:47 pm

thanks? :P

Return to “Modding”