Modding Picture of the day.

Moderator: Makail

Lord Primus

Re: Modding Picture of the day.

Post by Lord Primus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 pm

I couldn't get the gate station to show, even as A gate station in Sol Force. So looks like stations can't be added.

I did manage to get gateships to showup and act as a gate network, so if anyone wants to pollute non-Hiver races with Hiver Gate tech they can, albeit it will be just the basic gate network. Reminiscent of Stargate Atlantis maybe?
Last edited by Lord Primus on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Primus

Post by Lord Primus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm

I quickly went through the files, and if the previous find about defence platforms hold true for all original six, then you can get up to 12 variants in total as follows;

File Name:
sn_asteroid_monitor
sn_brsat
sn_br_satellite
sn_drone
sn_dronesat
sn_drone_satellite
sn_missile_satellite
sn_scansat
sn_scan_satellite
sn_torpsat
sn_torp_satellite
sn_torpedo_satellite

Rossinna-Sama has tested the drone versions, but they should all work. I can't see anything in the section files that limits them to being a particular platform, just the above namings.

Hope you have fun with this info.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:00 am

Wasn't going to play SOTS2 due to, well...

But anyway, got bored enough to resume my match.

-----------
It may be possible that impactors with the Siege effects may be just a little too flashy. If I get to it, will revert them back to normal and let the projectors use that effect.

Prestor Zuul BB flying through a maelstrom of explosions.

SK blows up in quite the fireball now.

Have I said how much I like the glow in the dark look the Liir has with some file modding? Yes? Ohh.

Liirian MIRVs deploying their ordinance.

Its such an elegant look while ingame to see these ships reflect the light in the manner that they do depending on the star type.

My experiments to make corrosive missiles more appealing to the AI might have worked.

It is looking into your soul...
Sword of the Stars 2 - Project Hiver modder - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Awesome stuff. While I hate the dolphins with a passion, I must confess that I like their ships with that look.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:35 am

There's a sale on for now so perhaps more people will pick the game up. It is just annoying I still don't really have anything to show due to FPS concerns which is the main reason I can't release yet.

It's a pity I know nothing about how to do SQL coding to optimize the performance (and possibly fix the FPS issues with mesh color alterations brought on by things like psionics and cloaking), but ehh.
On the mod front itself - been considering removing reflection\deflection from the game. This said, its kinda a core part of what makes SOTS, well, SOTS - most other games don't model deflection and reflection mechanics.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am

Double post - so be it.

Quite a bit of new stuff this time around.

----------------------
PD Blasters are now all operational. There are Thermal (red), UV (purple), Chemical (green) and X-ray (blue) PD blaster options, all with their appropriate bonuses according to their weapon type.
Most of these can also be fitted on medium and large mounts. The larger the mount, the more barrels it gets.

PD Lasers are also now available. While there is no thermal (red) version as I removed that again, the other three variants are there.
As usual Lasers can only be fitted to light and medium mounts. Do note that X-ray laser is now attached to the tech underneath this one which is the Laser tech itself.

PD Phasers have always been around, but there is now PD Pulsed Phaser for use.
Unlike the other PD variants, they are still restricted to light mounts only due to my own balance concerns.

One of the "new" weapons, the Hardlight Phaser beam is basically an improved phaser beam with Inertial components which slow the target down. It is also the only weapon currently in PH which has any round mass.

As Phaser beams tend to fall off once reflex-era weapons come around, this is a reflex-era Phaser beam which changes its role a fair amount. It is quite powerful but its power requirements, like almost all other reflex based weaponry, is immense. Its also not cheap as is the norm for any reflex type weapon.

I don't have much else I want to do with the energy tree or its weapons at this point. Cannons have already had their damage and rate of fire lowered as have the Chakkar types. All I'm going to do is go back into the otherwise disabled emitter tree (which is only visible in these as this is a test tech save) and redesign it as the reflex-era only super weapon branch. Right at the end is where you'll get that beam I made earlier which can actually destroy planets as I feel getting it for free isn't very satisfying nor all that practical.

I've also done some work on ballistics again, but that's in such a poor state that I don't think its worth showing it right now.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:57 am

Done some more work on the tech tree and strings file again. Most of the new weapons have entries, and I've fixed a few tech entries which I was too lazy to alter last time - such as the Heavy Plasma Cannon. It now isn't lying to your face over what it does. :awesome:

-----------------------------
The updated tech description\name for the "heavy" cannon weapons now actually tells you what they do. They are only for Very Heavy mounts, as it says.

I hinted at this above, but the Superweapon branch is now done.
This is the tech which enables the three kinds of emitters which are very different than what they used to be. They are anti-planet weapons only and do not "bounce" at all.

Biowarfare is disabled in PH by default, however the Xombie Plague from the biomissile stuff will always be disabled. This is why.
Basically this is a Siege Asteroid fired by siege mounts which also leaves behind the Xombie Plague, which is heavily buffed from its vanilla version. I also threw in a little 'lore'.

I am still in the process of making this particular weapon.
But overall, it should fit a good PD niche that's otherwise not really covered by any of the other types.

A very obvious hint as to my plans for the VN update when I get to it...
This tech unlocks the two Tempest Arrays - one for heavy mounts and the other for very heavy mounts. They function the same as they always do.

No more can you get this thing for free. The most expensive tech in the game, even beyond reflex-era energy systems.
I'm not sure if there is more than one SK in the canon lore, but there is in my fictional PH version since games can have more than one of them showing up.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 pm

I am currently working on getting my game working again, but I am still quite happily following your progress, Rossina! I hope to be back into it soon to give it a little more playtesting.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Talverin wrote:I am currently working on getting my game working again, but I am still quite happily following your progress, Rossina! I hope to be back into it soon to give it a little more playtesting.

Yeah, sorry about the lack of progress on my end. Moving out somewhat soonish and to my surprise, it is possible I might be moving to an actual island (that isn't Australia itself). Having to catch a ferry\barge and having almost 6 hours of travel time daily is concerning me. That, and I've had to look after the kids numerous times which means I have to watch them - hard to do when all of them are disabled.

So what is actually going on within PH? I've deleted every ballistic weapon and started again from "Vanilla scratch".
I just did not like the direction I was taking it beforehand - if I'm still using only energy weapons in my matches and not going anywhere near ballistics, something's wrong.

While this is all a work in progress, as usual, I do have a few things set up.

How it works this time is a little more complicated than the other trees which mostly make you research individual weapons.
In the ballistic tree you now research a type of barrel\weapon, and then you research an ordinance type.

So for example, you start with three kinds - Rifled barrels, Smoothbore barrels (shotguns) and Autocannons (rapid fire).

You start with those three as I mentioned before, but then you research the ordinance types. So for example, if you research Bursters, you get burster rounds for the rifled ones (the artillery), the shotgun one (yes, shotgun bursters...) and the autocannon.
If you then research AP rounds, you get an AP shotgun, artillery and autocannon. And so on.

They will all also be fitted to any normal turret mount and size combo - you can have a burster shotgun on a light mount with one barrel or a burster shotgun with 3 barrels on a heavy mount.
Very Heavy mounts require a little more research to unlock, but then you get 3 barrels again though with better stats (as I don't think there's any hardcoded bonuses to VH mounts in SOTS2).

I'll try and think up other "barrel" types as I'm working on them.
Stormers will be making a return as a "barrel" type (and yes, this means burster stormers too...) and so called impactors are coming back as "Mass Accelerators" which are the Antimatter era ballistic weapons which as usual can only be fitted on oversized stuff like the impactor sections and LVs, and VH mounts.

As for ordinance types, all of the vanilla ones will be there for all barrel types, and I'm going to expand the "versatility" goal of ballistics to also encompass things like disruptor shells, inertial shells, kelvinic shells and so on.

Point defense wise, I do not know yet. Due to how the MARS2 engine handles ballistics and aiming in general, even a perfectly accurate ballistic weapon will miss most of the time (which is a big reason I never use ballistics in the base game) and my experiments with doing "flak" like weapons proved that AOE damage does not impact missiles. This said, more exotic stuff like a "crybaby" PD round may be possible - it is just as usual something I've not bothered to try yet.

As a side note - all "DFT" (Direct fire torpedoes such as photon) are now guided and tracking weapons. Don't know if I want them to be able to be shot down by PD yet as right now they can't be (as they are classified as bolt weapons) but it is simple enough to change them to torpedo weapons which'll let PD fire effect them. The so called normal torpedoes like Fusion and Antimatter are still not tracking as I far prefer how they act; if you want a proper tracking torpedo, the fusion\AM burst torpedoes can mostly fill that role.

Please keep in mind that the ballistic tech tree is no where near complete. I've barely had time to start on this alteration.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Initial versions are now created- at least for the shotgun type. I know its not the best screenshots I've ever taken, but its quite hard doing this...

More will come as I either think of it, or actually make them.
-------------------
Ordinance Type: Guided
Role: Hits stuff more often than not.
"A favorite of fleet admirals due to their ability to use their internal propulsion methods to allow the shell to steer itself towards a target. It can not require a target once if it misses on the initial pass."
Are those things flying backwards!?! Where are those insane engineers, they got something to fix...

Ordinance Type: HEAP
Role: Critical hits, burrowing rounds
"These rounds burrow deep into the ships structure and then explode, causing considerable armor and structural damage which causes the ships atmosphere to vent into space afterwards in a plume of smoke."

Ordinance Type: Leech
Role: Resetting and slowing down rate of fire for energy weapons.
"Experimental rounds which drain the ships power banks, slowing their rate of fire and draining their shield strength."

Ordinance Type: Shield Breaker
Role: Tearing apart all non-grav shields.
"Highly electronic rounds designed to cause immense damage to any shields they may come in contact with."

Ordinance Type: Sniper rounds
Role: Extreme distance shooting
"Two stage projectiles which slowly leave its barrel and after a set time, activate their internal combustion source and rocket towards their distant targets."

Ordinance Type: Burster
Role: Explosive fun?
"Basically a giant ball of explosives which gets lobbed at an enemy. When it gets close enough, it explodes and unleashes deadly 'mini-balls' which are quite deadly."

Ordinance Type: Focus Rounds
Role: More explosive fun!
"Functionally identical to a burster round, however with a shaped charge which causes the 'mini-balls' to travel forward. This comes at the cost of having less space for said balls. Heh... balls..."

Ordinance Type: AP
Role: Armor? What's that?
"Incredibly refined rounds which literally rip through a ship causing very little structural damage but punching very deep yet thin holes into enemy armor."

Ordinance Type: Hunk o' Metal Balls
Role: Default ordinance.
"What more is there to be said? The standard round is cheap and moderately effective with the highest rate of fire compared to the more specialized munition, but its boring... right?"

Who the hell wrote those extra comments? I want him found and brought in front of the god-emperor of manki... wait, I mean the Director! Yes... really...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 pm

You are unhooking the camera to get your screenshots as easy as possible?

Great work btw! Kinda makes me sad I lost my opportunity to work on her more thanks to douchebusiness

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:43 am

Mecron wrote:You are unhooking the camera to get your screenshots as easy as possible?

Great work btw! Kinda makes me sad I lost my opportunity to work on her more thanks to douchebusiness

Yep. It lets me try and angle what I'm after with more precision and as it seems to slightly alter the scene displayed, it can change the lighting levels which lets me sometimes avoid my insane amounts of bloom.

As for the other part, everyone feels that way I suspect. It really is a great game even through all of the adversity.

---------------------
Ballistic Tech tree is coming along.

I'm not sure if they are actually practical at this point, but they sure look cool.

Bursters are surprisingly dangerous as I found out against an AI who decided to spam them. I've mostly dealt with the FPS issues that mass bursters have, but its not really possible to fully eliminate it. Arm a LV with nothing but these at your own peril.

Now these things are fun, if impractical. Quite useful for the shotgun barrel type, not so much for the other two.

This is my take on HEAP ordinance. They actually have a triangle-like armor matrix damage pattern which might become the standard if I decide to.

For the most part these are fairly balanced. They can still turn fairly quickly but they don't always hit - which is a major improvement over the guided lasers I used to have.

Nothings really changed about these, they are just on more barrel types now.

I really need to figure out what these do one day.

Impactors are the more advanced Anti-matter era weaponry like they always were, however they have access to all of the ordinance types that the three basic barrels do. Yes, Impactor bursters...

My first major deviation from what the other weapons do. This one punches through up to 9 blue armor layers (not possible to get that many anyway) and cuts a hole 1 square wide but 10 deep, though has very little structure damage. Not very useful for slower weapons like the 'artillery' or the impactors, but the shotgun and autocannon variants are very effective.

Stormers now look as imposing as they are supposed to be. Probably vastly overpowered at present, but I'll adjust those numbers in due time.

I wasn't going to actually use this tech but decided to, to slow the tech progression down a bit.

This is currently the top-tier ballistic weapon. Right now there's no reflex-era ballistics, but that's because I can't think of anything that'd fit.

I also re-added the Heavy Ripper bullet effect to most of the ballistic projectiles I made today and yesterday so they ain't blank. Stormers use the vanilla stormer effect to showcase that they ain't simply being launched out of a barrel by some chemical reaction like the rest.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I really like the 'modular' system of ballistics. That's gonna be really cool once implemented. Quite an overhaul!

I was thinking, as far as barrel types, perhaps the addition of a 'oversize' barrel type that, instead of gaining more barrels, increases with mount size. It would have a slower ROF, and not necessarily longer range, but stronger impact force. A viable non-shotgun type weapon for shorter ranges.

Are grappling hooks still going to exist? They are admittedly of limited use, but they do open the way for some... rather amusing strategies.

As a side note to ballistics, also - I have found, especially when using things like stormers, when enemy ships get in amongst your ships, have a tendency to strike allied ships more often than enemy ships. This has also been an issue with PD and shields. Is there any way to introduce a 'phased materials' tech that reduces the damage of friendly fire?

Edit: Also, oversized PD mounts? Or perhaps a 'second tier' PD weapon made for medium mounts, that is more focused on things like torps, BRs, and drones? It would have a slower ROF than a small mount, and slower tracking, so it would be more ideal for larger PD targets, and wouldn't entirely eclipse small mount PD.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Talverin wrote:I really like the 'modular' system of ballistics. That's gonna be really cool once implemented. Quite an overhaul!

I was thinking, as far as barrel types, perhaps the addition of a 'oversize' barrel type that, instead of gaining more barrels, increases with mount size. It would have a slower ROF, and not necessarily longer range, but stronger impact force. A viable non-shotgun type weapon for shorter ranges.

Are grappling hooks still going to exist? They are admittedly of limited use, but they do open the way for some... rather amusing strategies.

As a side note to ballistics, also - I have found, especially when using things like stormers, when enemy ships get in amongst your ships, have a tendency to strike allied ships more often than enemy ships. This has also been an issue with PD and shields. Is there any way to introduce a 'phased materials' tech that reduces the damage of friendly fire?

Edit: Also, oversized PD mounts? Or perhaps a 'second tier' PD weapon made for medium mounts, that is more focused on things like torps, BRs, and drones? It would have a slower ROF than a small mount, and slower tracking, so it would be more ideal for larger PD targets, and wouldn't entirely eclipse small mount PD.

The oversized stuff should be okay, just depends on on the turret models supporting the larger barrels without it looking comedic.

Grappling hooks still exist, they are just faction limited to Zuul, Hiver, Tarkas and Solforce\humanity. At least at present, I'd have to check if the other factions have the appropriate models.

There's no way to reduce friendly fire damage. This is why most of the "light" weapons in the mod are actually medium weapons on light mounts, as this disables them firing at PD targets like missiles on their own volition.

Oversized PD mounts are already implemented for the energy weapons, so that's easy enough to do for the ballistic PDs.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Why I did not do this sooner, I'm not sure. Replaced the "turret_light_04" with a Heavy Missile-only mount. This stops the endless spam of "We've been painted!" or w\e that occurs when this mount has some form of PD on it - especially interceptors as it'd fire then slam into the ships hull. All of the DN engine sections have been updated with this change - and they've all also gotten an extra heavy mount on the bottom rear to replace the light mount that was previously there.

This is a part of my usual randomness on what I'm working on at any one time - for some reason, went back to working on the Solforce\Humanity DNs and did some stuff with their mounts and descriptions. Have some work to do on the Standard Command section when I get to it, as their mount assignments are messed up. Will split them so they all have their own bank to prevent that.

As a random-aside, I've been considering what to do with the Tarkas. My latest idea is that they have merged torpedo\HCL mounts. What this means is that the same mount can fire a HCL-class weapon (or a DTF class one) but it can also at the same time fire a Torpedo. Essentially its two banks firing from the same mount.

I also worked on the material file again as well as doing a little texture swapping. Not sure if I'll keep this as it may be too dark, but ehh.

Return to “Modding”