Modding Picture of the day...

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Modding Picture of the day...

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 pm

willdieh wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 pm
AI player tech preferences can be seen on the debug console with AI logging enabled in either Verbose or Standard log level (easier to read in the latter). It's displayed each time an AI player chooses a new technology to research. The line will show the tech preferences of the player in curly braces just after the turn number.
I know about the tech scoring, its the weapon scoring I'm more interested in. Is there any automated way to get that information such as the console, or do I have to resort to maths? :googly:

--------------------
Zuul's update is ongoing. Suul'ka are updated once again to use the updated weaponry.

There's been numerous changes within the last week and a half - such as 'new' effects for grapple weaponry.

Anyway, I've been revising certain weapons - lasers, blasters and antimatter-era ballistics have been redone. PD weapons have had another pass. EMP and Pulsar Torpedoes have been redone into light and heavy EMP torpedoes which while they are not tracking weapons anymore, have a large blast radius (alongside a low rate of fire) so they should be a little more useful over just using the much simpler disruptor torpedoes. I've also changed Torpedo Capacitors into a new tech which allows certain types of DFT (Direct Fire Torpedoes) to be fitted into heavy and very heavy turret mounts at high costs, lower accuracy and considerably lower rate of fire.

Lasers now come in three types: the green laser, UV laser and X-ray laser. All three do different things.
The Chemical Laser (Green Beamer) is the laser-based PD option. Very short range and very high rate of fire with perfect accuracy though low burst damage. Out of the various types of PD, this one is best used to deal with drones who stray too close and swarms of missiles but due to how missiles now work in PH, it is not viable against IOBM or Polaris missiles as they have too much health to be stopped in time.
The UV Laser (UV Beamer) is a laser based stand off weapon which has perfect accuracy, reasonable rate of fire and a long range for a laser type weapon.
The X-ray Laser (X-Ray Beamer) is the brawler variant of the UV laser which fires much faster but has a much shorter range and higher overall DPS and better ability to pierce armor.
Lasers work different than vanilla beamers as they have a rapid rate of fire but a very short beam duration.

Blasters (Lasers) come in two types, stand off and brawler. In practice, the red blaster is a shotgun-type brawling weapon and the green blaster is a longer ranged, slower firing blaster. UV and X-ray are the upgrades once researched which improve their particular variant. While they can be reflected by armor, they all get Ionic bonuses which gives them double damage to shields and the brawler variant trades the lasers sustained damage for higher burst damage.

AI wise, the AI's aggression has gone down the drain alongside their choices in what they are sending. I've not seen a single invasion mission from any of the three AIs. Not one. Not to mention that the ships that they are sending don't make sense for PH, so nearly all of the AI issues (possibly including them not sending any invasion fleets or using the invasion mission) may be due to PH not playing well without dedicated planet attacking weapons and designs. Most planets won't even be scratched by most weapons such as ballistics, lasers and most other things which is not how VAE or Vanilla works. So its just a case of me redoing the fleet template file.

Hiver AI wise, they've not tried to gate any of my systems. They do a strike mission and then leave. That's not how Hivers are supposed to engage in combat.

Anywho, I'm going to be investigating if I get time\interest in seeing if I can add custom weapon icons somehow. PH has a lot of weapons and not all of them have viable icons or icons which make much sense. I can do quite a lot more if I can do that.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 pm
I know about the tech scoring, its the weapon scoring I'm more interested in. Is there any automated way to get that information such as the console, or do I have to resort to maths? :googly:
Well, in the debug console, you can see the scores assigned to each weapon as the designs are made if the Design option is enabled but that's the best I can tell you. I can write more code into the debug output if you think it's worth it...

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:28 pm

willdieh wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:47 pm
Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 pm
Well, in the debug console, you can see the scores assigned to each weapon as the designs are made if the Design option is enabled but that's the best I can tell you. I can write more code into the debug output if you think it's worth it...
Maybe one day but for right now, its probably best to work on other things. PH isn't into the optimization and 'balance' stage.

-----------------------------------------------------
The war with the other 3 AIs is ongoing; I've gotten sick of the Hiver's inactivity and want to watch the Loa vs Zuul fight that's happening on the other side of the map so I've gone on a massive attack. Already wiped out the Hivers homeworld and am in the process of hunting the rest of their worlds down. It just takes more time than usual since my fleets are not optimized for planetary assaults (and neither are theirs) and PH drastically lowers damage done to worlds by most weapons.

Anyway, been a while since I've linked a fleet song so here's the one I was listening to the most during tonight's session.
Last Exile - Fam, the Silver Wing Opening Song Full Version (Youtube link).

While I do enjoy the Zuul's larger fleet sizes, I've noticed that stability isn't quite as good as the other factions when engaging in multiple-round combat sessions. It can be annoying to have a crash mid-fight and then have to redo 6+ combat rounds since the game doesn't autosave after each engagement. On this note, I may reduce their fleet CP by perhaps 2 or 3 CR equivs; they'll still have the largest fleets but hopefully the game will handle them a little better.

Have I ever said that I miss the x64 version? Wouldn't have issues like that if it was still around. :cry:

Hivers on the other hand do not like having 'stock' fleet templates so once this match is done, I'm prioritizing finding the crash on the Loa's side that the previous PH fleet template file had so I can get the AI back into its more dangerous self.

I'm also struggling to see their design logic. But, ohh well. Little I can do about that right now.

Yet another request for permanent debris in SOTSHD and\or SOTS3.

#reportedforoffensivecontent!

Well since I'm now able to legitimately use the AM version of the assault shuttle since I've gotten the required tech researched, I don't feel like I'm cheating.

Zuul's largest weakness that I've discovered so far seems to be for whatever reason a lack of fleets. Once again I suspect this is due to the mostly vanilla SoS's fleet templates and it trying to keep with the base game where PH's Zuul doesn't. Just another case of me needing to get that template file done ASAP.

Now I know my tone may be coming off as hostile but quite frankly, SoS's improvements are very noticeable even in PH. I may even be able to reverse the debt changes that both PH and VAE have since the AI isn't plunging into millions of credits of debt. EDIT: It is just how people often read my so called 'text tone', I don't mean to seem ungrateful because SoS has done a great job for SOTS2. Its merely the case that PH seeks to change the game away from vanilla where SoS is specifically designed not to, so of course there's going to be compromises that have to be made. Once I notice that SoS is 100% done, then I may work a PH specific version but I'm no where near that smart. :googly:

Another part is that SoS is designed for the much slower paced base game. PH was never intended to be a game of spending 100 turns of building up and then going to war; its common to be in a full fledged war by turn 30.

Suul'ka have had yet another pass to their psionics. While it probably doesn't make lore-sense, the Suul'ka no longer have access to every Psi ability in the game. They have restrictions based on what the lore states their personality is as well as bonuses to certain psi powers. Thundering Fists here for example has large bonuses to Psi Fist (TK Fist) which can destroy a Hiver CR in about five blasts and its Psi Crush does a lot of damage.

Another request for SOTS3 (not SOTSHD), ability to make a custom race which can pick their own FTL network. Solforce ships using a gate network instead of the node-lines?

While changes to weapons that are on modules don't apply once the vessel is ingame (the Suul'ka), this version is now outdated due to FPS concerns. I've changed the disruptor grappler to the standard grappler and reduced the mount count on that particular module. Chakkar and their ilk also cause a lot of FPS problems in larger numbers due to their detail (or poor optimization?) so I've also removed those from use for the Suul'ka and replaced it with PH's version of the Damper Beam which is a reflex-era Meson beam.

Work is also still ongoing in getting Psi Movement to a spot I like. Its too slow right now and since all factions now have a CnC vessel which can use this ability (It is no longer restricted to Suuk'ka), I want it to be a viable choice considering how expensive Psionic CnC ships are.

As for when I'll get around to doing the fleet template file? When this match is over. I've got the info I need for the Hivers but I'm not seeing enough for the Loa - remember that PH's loa has the smallest fleets in the game and that SoS's change to them not wanting to fit armor has had a drastic impact on their viability since PH's ballistics are balanced around being deflected by increasing armor ratings. Even a late-game Loa fleet right now would be badly damaged by even basic ballistic weapons since they'd not be deflected. This is probably a change I'll just have to accept and find some work around for the Loa, even if its something as drastic as giving them Grav Shields in the Fusion era with a much cheaper cost to field, even if this isn't going to help DNs or LVs. This also applies to Blasters (lasers) since they've also been balanced around reflection but it isn't as severe as ballistics since the higher end blaster (Phased Blasters) have a high chance to bypass reflection anyway.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm

I went ahead and added verbose weapon scoring information to the debug console, slated for inclusion with the next release of SOS Patch... Hope it helps you continue working!

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:44 pm

I also introduced some changes to the template loading logic... I think these changes might really help you out too... Instead of crashing when trying to process a template that contains a ship role that does not yet exist, I've re-written the section selection logic to just default to COMBAT. This means (in theory) that the AI will simply use COMBAT as the role for ship sections like CARRIER or CARRIER_BIO that don't exist on game start but will after a certain technology is discovered. This also means that you should now be able to create templates that include all types of ship roles regardless of availability on startup. The AI should begin building the actual sections once the technology is finally obtained.

I had to hard code the roles that do this, and right now they include the CARRIER types, but it should be relatively easy to add others if needed. I didn't see any others except maybe SCOUT that might be an issue. If you face a particular challenge, let me know.

It's not thoroughly tested but seems to work in my brief tests so far. Hope this sounds promising to you... It should be in the next release.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:23 pm

willdieh wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:44 pm
I also introduced some changes to the template loading logic... I think these changes might really help you out too... Instead of crashing when trying to process a template that contains a ship role that does not yet exist, I've re-written the section selection logic to just default to COMBAT. This means (in theory) that the AI will simply use COMBAT as the role for ship sections like CARRIER or CARRIER_BIO that don't exist on game start but will after a certain technology is discovered. This also means that you should now be able to create templates that include all types of ship roles regardless of availability on startup. The AI should begin building the actual sections once the technology is finally obtained.

I had to hard code the roles that do this, and right now they include the CARRIER types, but it should be relatively easy to add others if needed. I didn't see any others except maybe SCOUT that might be an issue. If you face a particular challenge, let me know.

It's not thoroughly tested but seems to work in my brief tests so far. Hope this sounds promising to you... It should be in the next release.
Does the log warn you if its replacing a missing template with a combat role?

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:30 pm

No... but I guess I could add it...

I was wondering... what graphics card / settings are you using? Your ships always seem to look so much nicer than mine. I have basic Intel 610 integrated graphics, but am still playing on highest settings.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm

willdieh wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:30 pm
No... but I guess I could add it...

I was wondering... what graphics card / settings are you using? Your ships always seem to look so much nicer than mine. I have basic Intel 610 integrated graphics, but am still playing on highest settings.
Colorful iGame 1080 ti running at 4K. I had more information but there's constant storms and I lost my post to a brownout.
Ingame settings, everything is on and\or maxxed out apart from antialiasing as that's off (I use the Nvidia control panel for that) and no focal blur. Its also probably my extra bloom due to my modified files.

--------------
The match is over, so I'll wait for the next version before doing anything with the fleet templates.

Turns out Last Capital Standing does seem to work as the moment I took out the Loa's homeworld after destroying all of the Hivers, the match ended. Don't worry about the amount of savings I have; that's because I'm in the middle of redoing the costs of all weapons so right now, they are all free.

Zuul seems to be in an acceptable place though stability on the long term is concering me a bit due to theier larger fleet sizes. This said, their fleet sizes are still smaller than a full end game VAE or Vanilla run.

Figured out what sometimes causes ships to spawn in the middle of the star - if their mass is too high, the game shoves them in the middle of the system. Reducing their mass solves it.

I've also got Suul'ka Psionics in a nice spot where they are still really good but not overpowered. Ain't going to destroy a CR with a two second press of Psi Crush anymore. (Not that you could in Vanilla, that was my fault but that's now fixed.)

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 am

Some more balance work, if one can call it that, as well as work on the Locusts. Neutronium Alloy (Addy) has also been buffed further due to its extreme costs in PH.

I'm not sure why, but I've noticed some bolt-based energy weapons such as Cannon weaponry and War Quoits are actually being reflected away by my ships which (for once) have improved reflective armor. I thought only energy weapons with the laser attribute suffered from reflection?

I've not yet determined what nor why the AI sometimes launches battleriders and sometimes does not. Though either way I wish their targeting priority was a bit better - Its silly to see them go and attack a planet instead of the fleet infront of their face.

Work on the V5 color mod has resumed and a part of that is a recoloring of the reflective sections on the Locusts to a blue color. This was done to match their common weapon color they use in PH which is blue.

Its a pity I can swipe the model for this ship so I can have the police lights show on other vessels.

Unfortunately the locusts crashed the game shortly after this picture - there was 20 locust scouts not shown there which were also involved. Game couldn't handle that many ships with their accompanying needle ships. I may have found a way to solve that but not holding my breath.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 pm

The aforementioned crash with the Locusts have been resolved; they'll attempt to travel with 2 Locust 'scouts' instead of 20. This does make them weaker but this is still a PH-level Grand Menace; they'll rip apart fusion era fleets. Then again they only show up after turn 200 so if you're using fusion era fleets by this point... :?:

Due to Willdieh's work, I've got a lot of information to go over in regards to weapon and AI choices. Some of them make little sense; why on earth are they trying to design a Police role ship for Planet attack for example? Unfortunately and I expect this is a Solforce only issue due to their nodelines, they are still trying to strike worlds which they stand zero chance of reaching since other worlds in their way are far too fortified. Its exploitative but leaving a system about 4 worlds behind a front-line causes the AI to send constant strike fleets to try and kill it and hence they have to get through multiple planets and their own fleets which simply doesn't work.

I'm also not seeing them doing any invasion missions again. They did one major attack (as screenshotted below) but those were all strike missions. Also not sure why but they are ignoring the Locusts which are on the map on the strategic layer. Either they feel they don't stand a chance against them or they've somehow lost their ability to clear them out.

Anyway...
----------------------------------
It took a few turns of constant fighting but I managed to clear the 'crash stack' of Locusts. Turning all of my settings down to the absolute lowest they can go as well as the lowest resolution the UI doesn't break with let me get through the encounters without crashing. Of course, this screenshot was taken once I'd whittled their numbers down to a level where it wouldn't crash when I turned my settings back up.

My goal for this test match (which is why I've not done anything with the fleet template file yet or checked to see if Loa's still crashing with PH's template file) is to wait for the AI to build and send a LV at me. I've got this sad feeling that with the extreme costs of LVs in PH (They can easily range in the 200 million credit mark with some upgrades) that the AI will never build them. If that's the case, I'll have to make them cheaper but considering how outright powerful they now are, that's not something I really want to do. Having 3\4 leviathans for the entire match is about right as they are boss encounters as far as I am concerned. I don't want 20+ LVs per 50 turns running around.

I'm yet to update the weapons (again) of the Locust Worldship as I'm trying to determine what exactly I'd like them to be armed with.

Just in case there was a doubt of their firepower, this was a Reflex-Era Drone Carrier DN with every single upgrade barring Structural Fields. The Locusts still lost to the other ships but, well, expect casualties on both sides.

I was surprised to face a combined attack by the AI as I mentioned above, but, well, its a problem with the combat AI itself. A strike mission should be focused on killing fleets instead of trying to beeline to a world. So every fleet here got wiped out as they ignored my ships to get to one of my worlds and didn't even kill said world. This is a problem in Vanilla as well but in PH, its much worse since ship-vs-ship weapons tend to do almost no damage to a planet; at best they can wreck infrastructure.

On the production side of PH, I'm fairly sure I've gotten player-controlled Solforce to a good point. I think the income might be a little too high early game and I've got more work to do on the tech tree adding in larger bottlenecks and more era restrictions, its just the AI which is having issues. This said, I'm sure almost all of the tech-based AI problems will be solved once I stop making 'new' stuff and focus on getting the AI's tech choices in line with weapon preferences.

A surprise design choice by the AI but interesting nonetheless, these are the stealth command sections. They block sensors from detecting the ship unless you've got a ship with high ECCM ratings.

And what it looks like in the sensor manager - same moment as the above screenshot. I did notice that Battleriders did not auto-target the 'stealth' ships and needed to be told to attack them manually but otherwise, they did their job.

I'm still concerned about the FPS loss when ships are cloaked but there still seems to be nothing I can do about it.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:19 am

Can anyone else who's using SoS tell me if Loa are colonizing and surveying? I don't think this is PH related but I'd like to be sure.

This is the Loa using my recently fixed PH Fleet Templates. They've not colonized a single world and only surveyed two systems by turn 30 which is to put it mildly... terrible.

And this is the Loa using the standard SoS's fleet template file with no modifications on my end with nothing else different from the above (same settings). They are doing even worse here with not a single system surveyed.

Is this happening to anyone else, or have I somehow messed something up? Because this is really bad for the AI; they die the moment any other faction goes to war with them since they are not expanding.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:13 am

Well, on my test just now, turn 30 and six colonized systems...

Loa is a bit NPG mission happy though. It's because how missions are scored. Since any Loa fleet can do any mission, the scoring is all that matters (since there aren't any dedicated "colonization" fleets for example).

Dunno... Hate to go down the rabbit hole of turning all the balance knobs for mission weights.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 am

Is there a graphic mod or an ini setting to cut down on the glare? JJ Abram would be proud of the visual in this game...

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Took another look at Loa colonization last night... Since they're the only faction without dedicated Colonization fleets, the mission scoring system with regard to Colonization really only affects them - other factions only have one or two colonization fleets and that's basically all they can do so the score is more or less irrelevant except for Colonization vs Support missions. With that in mind, it seems like a good idea to boost the scores a little just so they compete better with NPG missions. I set them equal last night and saw more Colonization and Support missions but this could come at the cost of fewer Strike and Invasion missions. So I'll have to figure out a good balance and how that balance fits into the various stances (Expanding, Defending, Destroying, etc). Thanks for the feedback though. It's always helpful to get a better perspective.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 am

sqw82 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 am
Is there a graphic mod or an ini setting to cut down on the glare? JJ Abram would be proud of the visual in this game...
If you're using my screenshots as comparison then, well, I've modified my bloom and other things to be excessive. I like chaos in battles and 'clean, uniform' explosions and weaponry irks me. Anyway, yes, its possible to an extent.

You'll find a file in the Sword of the Stars II\assets\base\effects folder called materials.xml~ . Edit this using a non-auto-formatting text program such as plain old Notepad or something like what I use (Editpad Lite). Make a backup of the file first though, this thing is unstable.

Inside you'll find a mess of stuff but all you're after is the number beside the various brightness entries.

To increase bloom and other effects, make the number larger. Decrease bloom? Make them as low as possible, often this means a setting of 1. Setting to 0 turns certain effects off and can\will crash the game or cause massive graphical distortion.

If its too complicated, I've attached one I did myself. Extract it to the same place as before, ensure it overwrites the original file. (back it up though...)
Low_Bloom.zip
I do not think there will be any conflicts with any mods barring PH itself since SoS doesn't touch that file. If there is a problem, let me know and I'll do it again.

-------------------
EDIT:

Same settings and player setup as before. With SoS's latest version (using PH fleets), the Loa even though they went to war on turn 4 (Solforce AIs are exceptionally aggressive) instead of not colonizing a single world have instead taken eight so far and are fighting off two Solforce AIs instead of almost being at the brink of losing like before. They've also surveyed a few systems but for obvious reasons, taking those worlds is going to be difficult when they are being double teamed.

So as far as I am concerned, this is a massive improvement. I'll do another test on the same map with just two players instead of four to see how they colonize when they ain't being attacked so hard and early.

EDIT 2:
Same map and settings though with only two AI's (both Loa). Eleven worlds colonized with most of the closer systems already surveyed. Leaving the Loa alone now seems like a bad idea, which is perfect for how they are portrayed in PH's lore. ;)

Return to “Modding”