Modding Picture of the day...

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Modding Picture of the day...

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:39 am

So. This wasn't something I was expecting to do, but it has now been set up.

This is a cropped screenshot from a test broadcast, which was live, as I was testing things. That is PH in there, not Vanilla.

It seems my PC and internet are capable of streaming without any issues, as the artifacting and other things were solved by the time I finished the test stream. The only issue is that I play at 4K and that means the UI will be tiny for those not used to that, and that SOTS2 seems to have a sound issue which can sometimes cause audio clipping\tearing on the viewers screen.

Whether I'll make any use of this, I don't know. If I do a longer testing session or just play the game then I'll open it up to anyone on my friends list, but right now, it is request only. I very often start the game, test something then quit in less than a few minutes, and then restart and do it again.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Oh, that's really awesome. You do such cool stuff, Rossinna! Not only making the game work great, but making it beautiful and shareable too! I hope when this gets rolling that it'll generate some increased interest in the game, especially when we show off out 32 million color fleets on live streams.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Honestly, if PH was public today, i would install it instantly and probably stay with it forever :)

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:33 pm

BlueInstinct wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:06 pm
Honestly, if PH was public today, i would install it instantly and probably stay with it forever :)
Well... if things hold out... you might get your wish surprisingly soon considering what I'm like.

My main concern has always been my hesitance about releasing an unfinished product; even if it is just a mod. But, well, if I upload it with what I consider the basics back in place (right now, ensuring the game's stability and that all factions work properly in at least the CR size range), maybe I won't stress myself too much over it.

And of course my concern that it might let people down; its been shown off so many times in this thread that I fear unrealistic expectations towards it. But, ohh well.

I've been working on it all night, ensuring that basic things are actually there - fleet CP limits for example. For some reason, Morrigi CP was set to 44 when it is supposed to be 90? No wonder the AI was getting messed up with their fleets. Zuul and Loa now have their fleet CP differences as well, Zuul get +12 so they can get two more cruisers and are the only faction which can field two LVs in a single fleet, while Loa have -12 meaning they lose two CRs per fleet until they field LVs which are back to the base 90.

It is certainly not finished and balance is... wonky, to say the least, especially when the less-finished factions are involved such as Morrigi and Tarkas. Solforce remains the most content complete and most balanced, but the other factions do work and they shouldn't crash.

And ultimately... this is a mod. If others want to contribute to it with my oversight, that's entirely fine. Anyway, usual disclaimer over PH:

Project Hiver focuses on the strengths of SOTS2 - this means that the 4X element is reduced since many of those features either don't work, have stability issues or badly decrease late-game performance (Trade for example, hence why it is disabled in PH). The design goal of PH is and always will be to focus on the Exterminate (combat) side of the game. To this end, don't expect PH to be a diplomatic game, especially with AI unless you've set them as teams.

Difficulty is a lot higher, even the easy AI will fight quite hard with its limited resources. This is because the AI is doing its best to not only research optimally but actually field weapons which are best suited for whatever job it wants to do. The AI is also simply more flexible and varied in what it does with its fleets; it has multiple templates all with different themes or goals. Sometimes it will send a balanced fleet, sometimes a fleet which splits in half most of the time, or even a fleet which is purely one design. Yes... PH's AI is entirely capable of fielding a full battlerider fleet.

Is it the same game as vanilla? No. And please... don't come into this expecting it to be. Stick with SoS (and later on the revised VAE) for that. PH is its own thing.

Anyway - upload will be within the week. I know I did this last year as well, this time round though I have found a way to actually find the will to do it.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:28 pm

No, I've not forgotten. Hence why I'm working on it again.

So I'd need to examine things in more detail, but the damage range for certain weapons don't seem to be quite as obvious as I thought. This was the result of a Phaser fleet encountering a fully armed AM-era fleet. You can see how quickly they ripped them apart. So I'm working on re-tuning phasers since their current version where they do double damage if the enemy is in the effect range bracket seems to be either broken or doesn't work as I thought.

Part of my attempt to ensure stability - force spawning Locusts and the SK. Turned out the Locusts were not firing their weapons very often, which has now been fixed. Performance should be improved again as well, alongside them having some different weapons again.

As a part of my goal to ensure all encounters can be destroyed by cruiser fleets, even if it takes more than one, I had to redo the System Killer. While it still looks and feels imposing and it can still destroy ships, it won't tear an entire fleet apart in mere seconds anymore. It is now also partially vulnerable to Meson shields since I've disabled its ability to pierce those. That said, SK now fires special slow-moving missiles which do pierce all forms of shielding but are easily shot down by PD for the most part. It also lost some weight and now moves a little faster. Who said diets don't work?

Performance has been really good so far - this is a 2v2 battle with everyone involved in this particular fight with full combat fleets. As usual the only time slowdown occurs is when drones or battleriders are spammed.

Torpedoes, the actual torpedoes, have had their damage doubled at long range again. Really, these things hurt if they strike you at their maximum range, though naturally they don't do much damage during close range fights, and they can be shot down by enough PD.

Meson shields are now more balanced for PH, or as far as I am concerned they are. They are extremely expensive to field but otherwise function the same as they always have. Grav will be given the same treatment. And yes, I do plan on doing something about how they look.

It's revisit useless weapons time! On today's edition of "What was I thinking!?", we go back in time and take a look at PH's oldest surviving weapons; The Emitter range. Back then, these were moved to 'Superweapon category' but did only one thing; quickly destroyed hostile colonies. The end result? A so called superweapon which got totally ignored. Fast forward to today? Emitters have had their role changed - they are essentially non-arcing beams which have both the Implosion and Ionic (ShieldBreaker for larger ones) effects built in alongside having their damage against ships returned.

They are absurdly powerful and I've been tweaking them to make them less so, since the plan is to make them very expensive and very power hungry. Do they outclass all other beam weapons? No, their range is short, their tracking speed is horrible (lowest in the game) and their armor matrix damage is this odd Z shape. I've also done my best to reduce how blinding they are, but I can only do so much.

On the AI side of things, I think I may find it worthwhile to make extra fleet template files for different map sizes. Right now for example on a small\medium sized map, the AI has too many colony fleets doing nothing since there's nothing left to colonize. I also suspect I will dig deeper into AI weapon preferences; SoS's weapon scoring is fine for vanilla but it isn't suitable for PH. Vanilla doesn't have an actual planet killing weapon that is usable by players after all while PH does and the AI should know that it means it is a good bombardment weapon - hard to beat erasing a whole world after all.

That part though won't happen yet though, as code changing on that scale will have some drastic effects - it'll be after release. Speaking of which, once I'm satisfied by Emitters and a few other things, I'll do some matches with every faction's CRs in order to see how they go. Morrigi is the one I'm most concerned about since their ships are fragile but fast; which'd make sense if speed wasn't so important in this game. Can't fight what you can't catch.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 am

And a bit more work.

All stations and platforms now have 3 armor layers by default instead of 1. DNs have 3 and LVs have 4. Cruisers remain at 1 and everything else has 0.
This was done to improve platform and station survivability and to help make DNs and LVs feel more worth their price in PH.

Retrofitting stations and fleets now only requires a level 1 naval station instead of a level 3 naval station. Should help make retrofitting something to consider and I'm hoping the AI will make use of it as well, granted I'm not sure if they even can.

Fleets on the defensive stance while in tactical combat now consider ships a threat at a longer range than before. While PH doesn't have the issue of the AI not reacting to long-range bombardments, this should help make AI defensive tasks a bit more aggressive.

AI planetary bombardment ships now take into account Population damage, infrastructure damage and CH rating damage when picking their weapons. They still don't prioritize planet-killing weapons since I'm not sure I want to allow them to do that.

I found the spot where I can silence ships reporting that they are under attack, but I can't reduce its frequency. It is an all or nothing there where it is there, or it is not there. I am leaning towards disabling it but I really don't know if that's a good idea or not. If I find the interest, I may also be able to add in the commands so that when your CnC ship is being attacked or destroyed, it says something about it.

I'm in the process of fiddling with it, but I may have also found where you can control the number of platforms you can place within each 'sector'. Not sure if its wise to change these numbers as of yet, but at least I've found where you can do such. I think.

The final experimental change is with cloaking, I'm trying to determine if its the visuals which are causing such huge FPS hits or if its because the game updates cloaking information so quickly. I've lowered that particular part quite a bit as a test to see if it helps since cloaking is one of the largest FPS killers in this game right now.

And as an update to the post I made above since I got a steam message saying I was faking a 2v2 which wasn't crashing... Me on one side, my ally on the other (yellow icons) and both hostile fleets sandwiched in between.

As an aside, I've found that most tactical AI and spawning problems come from systems with nothing but the star itself or a star and an asteroid field. Not sure if I can solve that with my limited coding ability, or if its even worth the attempt.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 am

Nice work as always Rossinna. Is this going in PH only or are the changes to stance of defensive fleets going into SoS?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:13 am

Slashman wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 am
Nice work as always Rossinna. Is this going in PH only or are the changes to stance of defensive fleets going into SoS?
PH only. It wouldn't help SoS since the issue is more widespread there. It'd take someone with more skill than I have to make a more suitable solution for Vanilla weapon and engagement ranges.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:13 am
Slashman wrote:
PH only. It wouldn't help SoS since the issue is more widespread there. It'd take someone with more skill than I have to make a more suitable solution for Vanilla weapon and engagement ranges.
Ah I see. Ah well too bad. Still, PH looks to be coming along nicely.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:33 pm
BlueInstinct wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:06 pm
Well... if things hold out... you might get your wish surprisingly soon considering what I'm like.

Is it the same game as vanilla? No. And please... don't come into this expecting it to be. Stick with SoS (and later on the revised VAE) for that. PH is its own thing.

Anyway - upload will be within the week. I know I did this last year as well, this time round though I have found a way to actually find the will to do it.
I am looking foward to this very much!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Slashman wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 am
Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:13 am
Slashman wrote:
Ah I see. Ah well too bad. Still, PH looks to be coming along nicely.
I don't think it's practical to have too many versions of SoS floating around. With Bompa's work on Diplomacy, I figure its best to wait for his version before I do anything with SoS itself.

-----
Anywho, a draft version of the upcoming thread for PH. If there's anything you want added to the FAQ so I can answer it, feel free. Either way, here it is - placed into a code box as to not make a giant post here.

Code: Select all

SWORD OF THE STARS 2: ENHANCED EDITION
PROJECT HIVER - BETA VERSION 1

-----------
What is Project Hiver?

Project Hiver, known as PH, is a personal mod project which has been going on for 5+ years and has been a testbed for modding experiments with many of those being focused on pushing the limits of what SOTS2 can do.

In a very basic form, Project Hiver focuses on the strengths of SOTS2 while removing or hiding the weakpoints of the game and is very heavily focused on the combat side of SOTS2; most changes involve new and different ways to fight with hostile empires alongside ensuring combat encounters don't crash or turn into low-FPS slide shows.

This is a very different experiance from Vanilla, SoS or most other mods. Coming into PH expecting complex diplomacy or a slow match will only lead to disappointment as the pacing of the game is far faster and the AI is not only way more competant but vastly more agressive. PH depicts a universe in almost total war and doesn't attempt to hide that fact.

PH was designed with 4K in mind, however it works fine with normal desktop resolutions. Laptops may have UI issues, though an optional UI file will eventually be created if that turns out to be a common problem.

------------
Installation

Extract the zip to the folder you installed SOTS2 in. That should be it.

------------
Mod Compatibility

Project Hiver is not compatible with most other mods.

PH already includes a PH-specific 32 Million Color mod which is the latest version of that particular mod, so no need to install that.
PH has a customised version of SoS. Do not install SoS into PH, as it will break the AI and possibly crash the whole game.
PH is compatible with smaller mods which don't change major files. This means adding new weapons and ships sections is entirely possible.

------------
Save Game Compatibility

PH 'should' be compatible with Vanilla and SoS save games, however this is not recommended as you will not have access to the PH tech tree and tech settings, your ships will be armed with different weapons, some randoms and GMs may cease to fire their weapons and the AI will take time to shuffle their fleets around in order to reach the new fleet cap.

Saved games from other mods will not work, as assets will be missing.

------------
Multiplayer Compatibility

Unknown. While I did have a second PC built, it blew up in less than a weeks time so I never got a chance to test PH Multiplayer in a stable enviroment.

In theory it should work if all players have identicle installs, however at this juncture I can't ensure that's the case.
I do know that the Morrigi Colony Trap de-sync is still an issue, so don't build those in MP.

------------
Error Reporting

It should be clear by now considering how old SOTS2 is, but any issues or errors you have while PH is installed should be posted in the Modding section on the Kerberos Forums, posted in the Modding Picture of the day thread or sent to me in a PM.

Don't post in the Technical Support area if you have a modded install.

------------
Contributing

As this is a mod, I don't claim ownership of anything here since, well, I didn't make SOTS2, now did I? All I can ask is that you don't redistrubite PH without my permission and claim it as your own.

As for using PH as a base for your own mod, go for it. However since things change constantly as this is a beta release, don't expect version compatibility very often.

------------
Optional files

PH comes included with a modified effects material~ file which changes the bloom and brightness on most particle effects. This file is found within Assets\Base\Effects. 
If you don't want the bloom effects and so on, PH has a copy of the original version which doesn't have these changes.
To restore base effects, delete the materials file and rename the materials_copy file to material.

-
PH comes included with three different Starmap generation files, these have been optimised for small, medium and large maps.

Small map mode - drastically increases the amount of planets around stars.
Medium map mode - Default PH settings; has a balance of planets and doesn't often have 'empty' systems.
Large map mode - Planets become quite a lot rarer, empty systems quite common.

Using a large map with the small map mode star generation file will cause extreme late-game slowdown. 
Using a small map with large map mode star generation file will cause there to not have many worlds which can be colonised, though this may be a plus for some players as it isn't game-breaking.
By default PH is pre-installed with Medium Map mode which works regardless of map size, though the huge maps (such as SOTSverse) will have turn-time issues late game.

Using any of the optional files without all other players also having those exact same files installed will cause Multiplayer to break.

---------
What's included?

As this is a beta release, you get everything mod-related. Even stuff that's been abandoned or not intended for release, such as the 'flame thrower' which I was never satisified with.

The most notable inclusions are:
Complete Solforce rework.
A few additional maps.
A customised SoS version.
A whole heap of weapons with vanilla weapons being hidden (disabled) for the most part to help with save game compatibility.
Many changes to all other factions.
Complete redo of every random and grand menace.

----------
Optimal Game Settings

AntiAliasing (FXAA) - OFF
Bloom - ON
Refraction - ON
Focal Blur - OFF
Ambient Occlusion - ON (only if GPU can handle it)
Procedural Planets - ON
Decals - ON

Apparently disabling the steam UI helps with slowdown and improves stability though I have personally seen no difference and leave it on.

----------
Basic FAQ:

Q: What's with the tech tree?

A: PH's tech tree has the links between techs hidden since those are model files which can't be changed. Feasability studies are also removed so every tech you can see, you can research.

Q: Why did you remove feasability studies?

A: Failed techs produced a blinding red bloom and getting enough of them caused the screen to become nothing but red light. Dealing with the blinding white star in combat is bad enough but that at least makes some sense; being blinded and unable to see the tech tree does not.

Q: Why are there missing options in the lobby and game setup? Where's the initial tech slider?

A: Options which have no practical application were hidden and removed for stability purposes. As all factions have a specific set of starting techs in PH, having extra randomised techs often wound up with poor results such as one faction getting a few extra weapons while some got antimatter for free.

Q: Where is FTL Economics? I can't do trade without it!

A: FTL Economics is disabled in PH as the largest impact on turn times late game is trade. Logging going on in the background is another one, but that can't be removed yet.

Q: If trade is gone, how will I be able to develop a good economy?

A: Colonise more worlds. Income in PH is considerably higher than in vanilla\SoS but can be spent way faster on larger and more exotic ships and techs. Your homeworld is also a major source of income; protect it.

Q: What is the point of Provinces if trade is gone?

A: Morale boosts. Morale can be harder to manage in PH if a war starts going against you.

Q: Can I build The Black?

A: By default, no. However it has been rebalanced and set up so it can be with minimal modding required. As the game doesn't technically consider it to be a Suul'ka, it will act more like a normal Leviathan than it should though.

Q: I can't destroy colonies anymore? Why?

A: Most weapons do little to no damage to planets in order to force both players and AI to use weapons and ships which are designed to attack planets. Most weapons are either good at attacking other ships or planets but not both. This said, read a weapon's tech description and it'll usually tell you if it can damage planets.

Q: Can I have a quick list of weapons which damage planets?

A: 
Fusion\Antimatter Torpedo - The base variant can do reasonable damage to planets. Imploding, Overcharged and Burst variants do far less and are not practical anti-colony weapons.
Splatterpack Cannons - These are the Energy-based anti-colony weapon and do good damage to worlds but little to hostile ships.
Planetary Bombardment Rounds - These are the ballistic anti-colony weapons and are better than splatterpacks against worlds but are easily deflected by a ships armor.
Refined Bombardment Rounds - Another ballistic based anti-colony weapon though this one does CH damage, meaning they can eventually make a world uninhabitable by anyone but the Loa if given enough time. This is most often used in a 'scorched earth' plan.
Impactors - Not the best anti-colony weapon around, but it does enough damage to be somewhat viable in a pinch.
Ionic Torpedo (DFT) - Ionic Torpedoes are a balanced weapon which does reasonable damage to both ships and planets though focuses more in infrastructure damage then outright population removal.
Assault Shuttles - These do the same job they've always done. Keep in mind that the Liirian Crusade does not get access to these very easily.
Bioweapons - In the process of being rebalanced, but they do work even if they seem underwhelming for now.
System Killer Beam - It is hard to have a colony on a planet when said planet no longer exists...

Q: Can missiles still kill a planet?

A: In a timely manner, no. There is no type of missile which is effective at killing a planets population.

Q: Why would I ever use these so called Blasters over Lasers, or beamers... or whatever you've called them!

A: Blasters (Lasers from vanilla) do more damage and have a longer range but most importantly do double damage to shields which can be very useful against some factions. Lasers (Beamers from vanilla) have a shorter range, a better rate of fire and can't miss nor be reflected but simply don't have the damage potential that lasers do and lack the ability to do double damage to shields.

Q: Why can't I hear some weapons fire sounds?

A: All PD weapons have had their fire sound removed in order to reduce sound spam during larger battles. They also often have no impact effect either for FPS reasons.

Q: Torpedoes are useless! They miss constantly!

A: SOTS2 is based in WW2 in essence and those Torpedoes had limited to no guidance. In return, Torpedoes are the hardest hitting weapons in the game if they do actually hit something. If accuracy is a concern, try the Burst variant which splits into smaller tracking versions.

Q: What does DFT mean?

A: DFT = Direct Fire Torpedoes. These are Torpedoes which are classified as Heavy Combat weapons, meaning they go in Heavy Combat mounts (Often found on Blazer-like ship sections) and all have tracking capability and can't be shot down. They are the main competition for the Heavy Combat Laser (HCL) range. They can not be placed in Torpedo mounts.

Q: Where's Emitters? I used to love those.

A: Emitters have been redesigned from the ground up to be one of PH's super weapons. They become available to research once you've reached the Antimatter era.

Q: Why are ship energy and supply ratings so high?

A: Unfinished feature. Once I am content with the ships and weapons, a large rebalance of those is planned in order to place some limitations on some things; a fusion era ship should not be able to be fully decked out in reflex-era weaponry. This extends to the price of weapons, as those have not yet been done either.

Q: I can't research any fleet CP increases? Why?

A: Fleet CP has been standardised in order to ensure stability during larger battles and to make things easier to remember. 90 fleet CP is 15 cruisers and no matter the era or tech level, this never changes. The only time this changes is if you are playing Zuul or Loa, which have 12 more or less fleet CP.

Q: Why is ship maintenance so low?

A: PH shifts the focus to combat. Being punished for having a lot of combat ships seems counter-productive. It also helps the AI as they used to get torn apart trying to deal with this without trade.

Q: Are you kidding me? 150,000 structure rating on a Leviathan?

A: Leviathans are player-controlled 'boss encounters' and are not designed for mass production. A stock leviathan costs around 50,000,000 credits and with upgrades can reach insane amounts. These are your grand menances and if the AI builds one, it is a serious threat that must be dealt with.

Q: Why do Solforce cruisers all have shields?

A: One of many factional differences. Solforce Cruisers have shields in order to make a non-DN rush a more interesting tactic and the AI knows this as well; they can and will focus improving those shields quite quickly if they want to remain using CRs for a while. It also makes weapons which either bypass shields or do double damage to them more interesting since shields become a more common sight.

Q: The Kinetic Kill Missile fires and then vanishes.

A: Nope. It moves at such a speed that it leaves the system for a bit and then flies back at its target at immense speeds. It's an anti-matter era missile for a reason.

Q: Where are mines?

A: Disabled due to FPS concerns and ability to outright cheese the AI with them.

Q: The Ballistic tree looks totally different. What happened?

A: Ballistics got a near-total revamp and don't function the same as other weapons. Read each weapons description in order to see what they do.

Q: The Cybernetics tree doesn't work?

A: It hasn't been updated yet, and will be a work in progress.
There's still stuff that needs fixing, but ohh well. At this juncture, I just want to get my test match done for every faction to ensure they are at least working then upload PH.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Woo! Very exciting changes. I like the FAQ at the end of the intro, it answered some of the questions I didn't realize I had.

Are there any plans to make a form of missile (non-biowar) that is effective against planets? Or is that being avoided so that people don't just spam-kill planets from very long range?

Additionally, are the anti-planet weapons being made more effective than normal? Using assault shuttles and regular missiles, killing a large planet could take a really, really, really long time.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:21 am

Talverin wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 pm
Woo! Very exciting changes. I like the FAQ at the end of the intro, it answered some of the questions I didn't realize I had.

Are there any plans to make a form of missile (non-biowar) that is effective against planets? Or is that being avoided so that people don't just spam-kill planets from very long range?
It is primarily being avoided to stop players from sitting at max range and just leveling worlds without much effort and because the AI is really, really good at doing that right back to you. I'm looking at doing a quick revision of missiles so I wouldn't be surprised if I do make at least one of them good against planets but it'll have less range than most of the missiles - probably the same range bracket as the SRM. (Short Range Missile.)
Talverin wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 pm
Additionally, are the anti-planet weapons being made more effective than normal? Using assault shuttles and regular missiles, killing a large planet could take a really, really, really long time.
Yes, they are considerably more effective. Assault shuttles though (depending on faction) remain doing not all that much damage but are fast if short ranged (low time before they got to come back to their carrier) while Heavy Assault shuttles are the opposite; they do a lot of damage but are slow and retain their usual turret. Some factions have antimatter era shuttles as well, even if it isn't possible to increase their planetary bombardment damage without changing the fusion versions.

A size 10 world will still take time regardless, but a full fleet armed with some form of anti-colony weapon will kill it before the timer expires if left alone, with that time being shortened considerably the more anti-colony weapons one fields. A purely dedicated assault shuttle carrier with Antimatter or Fusion Torpedoes will do a lot of damage to a planet while a full torpedo cruiser with those same torpedoes would be less effective at killing it up close but better at long range, assuming there's not a huge amount of PD hanging around.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:00 am

So I know it has been a while, and I once again missed my deadline. Without going into my personal life, suffice to say, it is very hard to concentrate when one gets about 2 hours of sleep a day due to kids who ain't even yours deciding to play up constantly, even at 4AM in the morning. School holidays can't end soon enough for them.

Anyway, while this is probably a mistake, I'm working on uploading PH. Just digging through the files so I don't have to upload all 27GB worth of my SOTS2 folder alongside turning dev mode off, which isn't as simple as deleting a single file.

Is it finished? No, certainly not. Is it balanced? Nope. Is it what people hoped it'd be? Probably not. While I'm sure SOTS 3 if\when it is made will bring back most of the diplomatic elements of SOTS1, SOTS2 to me is a war simulation and I've treated it as such. The AI is not going to be nice to you unless it is on your team.

Now, as an aside, SoS itself, I don't know what to do with it. I never really intended to take over that project and only did so it'd continue. PH has and always will be my main focus.

Anyway, I'll edit this post and make a new thread once it's uploaded to the google drive, assuming I can get it to fit. Hopefully by tomorrow, if I can stop getting pulled away from the PC due to other nonsense? Maybe?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 am

Rossinna-Sama wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:00 am
Now, as an aside, SoS itself, I don't know what to do with it. I never really intended to take over that project and only did so it'd continue. PH has and always will be my main focus.
Well that really should be on the originator of the mod to continue it. I can understand wanting a break but he has stepped away from it entirely.

That's his prerogative of course, but it does present some issues for those who are left holding the bag.

Eh it's more than we thought we would get (well I at least) from SOTS 2, so I'm not going to hold a grudge.

Return to “Modding”