Moderator: Makail

Talverin

Re: Modding Picture of the day...

Post by Talverin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 pm

That is a pretty awesome screenshot.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Today's run was more of me just wanting to play the game, though I still wound up changing a few things. Since when don't I?

Work on the randoms and AI is back in progress - I'm not happy with the Pirate Base and the Swarm so looking into ways to make them more interesting. Due to UI problems I've been reducing armor counts across the board with 'spam' things like drones and the smaller randoms but this is making them die far too fast. Still working on getting their structural rating to a good point so where they can take a fair amount of hits before exploding but not being so tanky that even a dedicated PD ship can't scratch their paintwork.

Work on Lasers (Beamers) is ongoing. Since they do not get reflected and hit instantly, they are proving to be hard to use since the AI hates them when compared to blasters (Lasers) since the AI doesn't seem to take into account how many 'ticks' of damage a beam does when compared to other weapon types. Could be wrong but, ehh.

I wish for SOTS HD that it would be possible to make a 'whip' like beam weapon like what's shown in the Nexus 2 Trailer. In the meantime, the Lasers still look good enough.

It is as if the pirates chose a perfect ambiance - a White star with their station parked beside a blue gas giant.

Why can't all stations be armed like this? Ugh, one day. One day.

Bit hard to see but that drone's stuck. Yes, ships do have collision though there's no evidence of collision damage.

I admit the effects look a little weird if you put yourself on that ships bridge. Seeing your shields react like that would be outright terrifying.

There's so many things I could wish for in SOTS3 if it ever comes around some day. The tech in many cases is there due to modern engines and hardware - could you imagine if ships could punch visible holes through one another like in the Freespace 2 trailer? Or if weapons could slice ships in half or knock visible chunks off it?

I hate my imagination sometime. There's still no game that combines all of the ideas I've seen into one place - SOTS Prime is the closest with SOTS2 in close second but then there's a huge gap to the point where the next closest game isn't even a 4X, its a space-sim, good old Freespace 2.

There is so much untapped potential in what Kerb can do; call me a fan all you like but its true as far as I am concerned. Can you imagine if Kerb did a full blown Star Trek game focused on combat? I can. And it makes me sad to think it'll never happen.

*coughs* Anyway.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:43 pm

So since willdieh has made public his mod, PH has been quite busy integrating it into its systems. While at present both Zuul and Loa are crashing badly, I'm entirely positive they are both related to PH itself and nothing to do with his mod. Depending on my mood, I may wind up breaking my self-imposed rule and do some changes like that myself but I'm no where near as adept at that sort of thing as he is and I'd rather not cause two versions of the same thing to be floating around. So, yeah, I'll make do with what I can.

Anyway, PH within the last week has gotten a large update progress wise and content wise due to the Willdieh and his digging around as well as the mod itself. Having direct, concrete information has let me vastly tune the AI and PH itself. Is it perfect? No, but the framework is very much there.

Turn 50 - AI control

Turn 100 - AI control

The current state of the AI is considerably better even when compared to VAE. While PH has always had a much faster start, the AI used to squander things to the point that it was wasting too much time\money on things it didn't need to. Security spending for example. As that has been fixed by SoS, it has pushed me to get to work in the more intricate parts of PH that I didn't bother doing.

Examples:

All Project Hiver PD weapons (Ballistics pending as they ain't done yet) are now entirely AI capable and the AI will choose depending on both stance and role. With the more concrete information on what the AI favors, they will also now upgrade their PD once the higher-tier ones become available.

Weapons within PH have been modified to better support AI roles and guidelines. This is still a heavy work in progress but early signs are very promising.

That blasted diplomacy bug that PH had for a long time has finally been resolved - the AI will no longer want to be your ally by turn 17. The number of sims which got cut short due to EVERY FACTION ALLYING WITH EACH OTHER was beyond frustrating but that's now fixed.

AI tech and research choices are far more faction flavored and built into PH - Solforce and Liir really do go for DNs quite early and are more than happy to field them.

AI fleets are more optimized for more map sizes instead of PH's previous focus on tiny\small maps only. (Temporary due to loa crashing, but it'll be returned once I focus on that.)

AI fleets are not all swarming around one or two systems doing nothing anymore.

More AI friendly tech tree - restrictions put in place to limit techs depending on era considerably increased.

PD weapons redesigned from the ground up. See following:

Code: Select all

PD BALANCE COMPARISON - PH VERSION

ALL:
PD weapons are incapable of malfunctions.
PD weapons are incapable of performing a critical hit.
PD weapons can not ignore any layers of permanent armor.
PD weapons do no damage to planets.
PD weapon tracking rate vastly increased in turrets.xml

INTERCEPTORS - Longer ranged but lower rate of fire. Interceptor will destroy same missile size as them in 1 shot barring armored missile which requires 4.
Interceptor: 10 damage per hit, ROF 2, medium range.

Interceptor LR: 10 damage per hit, ROF 3.25, long range.

Interceptor Polaris: 25 damage per hit, ROF 25, very long range. Bonus armor damage (deeper penetration, extra width damage).

Interceptor IOBM: 50 damage per hit, ROF 35, very long range. Bonus armor damage (deeper penetration, extra width damage).

BLASTERS - Shorter ranged but high rate of fire. Better against larger numbers of smaller, weaker PD targets.
Thermal Flak: 5 damage per hit, ROF 1, short range.

Phased PD Blaster:10 damage per hit, ROF 1, short range. Bonus armor damage (deeper penetration)

BALLISTICS - TBD

LASER - Shortest range PD, highest rate of fire.
Chemical Laser: 5 damage per hit, if entire beam remains on target either 10 or 20 damage total. ROF 0.5. Very short range.

PHASER - Sweeper. Lowest rate of fire, highest overall damage, medium range. Expensive. Retains double damage in 'sweet spot' from normal Phaser beam.
Phaser PD: Exact stats TBD due to FPS\performance concerns in larger battles.
Due to some hard-coded things that have been revealed, I've had to change a few focuses and preferences around. Hivers for example are back to being more focused on ballistics and certain types of missiles; as much as I want them to use cannon-line weapons, they really don't like them due to that.

I'll have some actual screenshots of me playing soon enough, but I want to get the main busywork out of the way before my interest wanes.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:46 am

So all but one of the crashes from integrating SoS with PH is now solved (Fleet template incompatibility with SoS), but I can deal with that in due time; its only a matter of my interest.

In the interim, the AI has gone rather berserk. In a 1v1v1 match right now with two AIs and, well... its showing PH's early game off very well.
----------------------

Turn 1 survey fleet vs a Zuul fleet which had split itself; some of their ships engaged mine while the rest retreated.

Due to AI preferences, Solforce now has a Cannon focus instead of being all laser happy.

Zuul, due to being one of the two 'super' factions in PH that were designed for AI use focuses on ballistics and the occasional missile\grapple. Their templates are being re-worked to also include various other types of weapons.

So what's the Zuul's big advantage in PH? All factions barring Loa have the max of a total of 14 cruiser equiv in a fleet. Zuul get roughly twice that with the exact number been tweaked according to my own play testing.

As one of the super factions, the Zuul can for the most part ignore morale and money. Sure they can't spam DNs and LVs as much as they'd probably want to, but their cruisers are exceptionally cheap so its very easy for them to not only field lots of ships but lots of fleets.

Zuul also start from turn 1 with every Tier 0 ballistic weapon alongside Disruptor torpedo and the grapple hook.

White glass with a white star has always been my favorite reflective combo.

Fighting the Zuul in PH is almost entirely a war of attrition. Their cruisers are well armed but they are lacking in structural strength and armor.

Finally got War Quoits to a point I'm satisfied with. Now to figure out what to do with the fusion and antimatter variant.

Another advantage the Zuul have over the normal factions is their very high colonization counts as well as their population growth. They can and will get smacked by colony support costs though if they try and expand to every single world they see and thankfully the AI's smart enough not to do that.

If there's one thing the Zuul does well, its packing as many supplies into their supply ships as possible and the end result is fairly obvious.

Its a unique challenge to face a Zuul AI in PH compared to vanilla or VAE. Any over extension or a weak point in your empire and they'll just swarm you. And due to the number of fleets they've got, most combat sessions involve more than one fleet attacking a system at a time.

Once I've fixed my fleet template file to be compatible with SoS's Loa, I'll see how they perform. Zuul are living up to my projects goal which means Loa should hopefully be able to meet theirs now.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Rossina, your work looks awesome, iam starting to test SOS mod and cant wait to test PH with SOS integrated.
Keep on rolling.

best regards !

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Rossinna!

You mentioned at one point you had set Zuul to use grapplers/harpoons... Not sure if that was in VAE or PH.

I was just wondering how you did that? I'd like to do the same for my patch but don't really want to hard code it into the game.

I thought maybe you set the DefaultWeapon for one of the weapon banks in each mission section or something?

Thanks!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:37 am

willdieh wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:57 pm
Hi Rossinna!

You mentioned at one point you had set Zuul to use grapplers/harpoons... Not sure if that was in VAE or PH.

I was just wondering how you did that? I'd like to do the same for my patch but don't really want to hard code it into the game.

I thought maybe you set the DefaultWeapon for one of the weapon banks in each mission section or something?

Thanks!
There's two ways to do it though PH only uses one right now. The most obvious is making grapplers do enough damage for the AI to consider them alongside adding in Brawler and Disabling tags, as well as making them impacted by missile upgrades. This'll usually be enough for any design marked for the Disabling role to have these.

The other way which doesn't require editing grapplers that much is to make a new module for Zuul which is locked to a copy of the grapplers with a more unique mount size\type. This'd preserve the original stats of the grapples but would require a module to be functional.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 am

Oooh! A grappler module! That's brilliant!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:12 am

Word of warning, to get PH working with SoS's Loa, I had to toss PH's fleet template file and am using it entirely as SoS does. I'll be working over time to restore most of PH's changes in that file but right now, only Loa has the fleet flexibility and design variation that PH had before. However it should be easy enough to fix as I narrow down what was causing the issue with my past file by the simplest way possible - use SoS's template file and edit it one fleet at a time to what PH does.

Another side effect of this is that SoS has maintenance as a thing while PH (and VAE) do not. I assume this is why the starting fleets are tiny and this greatly reduces the pace of the game as it slows down, well, everything. This'll be changed to PH standards when I get to the above tweaks.

Today's test run (which I may still continue after this post, not sure yet. Its very, very hot here.) involves the Altais map in a 2v2 setting - two Zuul vs one Loa and one Hiver. I'm playing the Cyan Zuul, Blue is my Zuul ally, Red is the Loa opponent and Yellow (who I've not even attacked yet) is the other Hiver opponent.

As PH does not have trade, most factions are crippled due to their starting fleets not coming fully equipped. This is most noticeable with the Hiver AI as their start compared to PH standards is very slow. Due to SoS's AI economy fixes, the Zuul AI handled the lack of ships easily enough as Zuul is one of PH's super factions and their cruisers are very cheap. I myself only fell into the red once as Zuul as I was expecting the Hivers to be as aggressive as I'm used to - wasn't the case so I was able to slow down my fleet production and return to research and expansion. Loa due to their very small fleet sizes were the least impacted by the starting fleet "issue" and out of all three AI's are the one who handled the start the best.

-------------------------------------------
This is just personal opinion and why I've got BoreSpeed at 75% but the Zuul AI doesn't do nearly as well if every fleet doesn't have a node bore in it. This particular fleet is slowboating for zero reason because it doesn't have a node bore. While not shown in screenshots as its hard to capture it for obvious reasons but they've lost from what I saw three fleets due to node collapse since the fleets which often use the nodelines are not renewing them due to not having a node bore. For PH that is of no issue, but for SoS, I'd suggest at the very minimum either adding a few more node bores or if possible increasing the effort it requires for the nodeline to collapse.

The Loa AI doesn't seem to be having any issues that I could make out. Though I clearly need to change their desire to get to the reflex era by turn 23 :googly:

Hivers have been left alone this entire match and from personal experience, they are doing worse than before however I'm sure that's because PH does not have trade which is something Hivers usually focus on very early. Or at least that's how I play them in SOTS1 and before I started PH in SOTS2. I did notice that they have a fleet which striked one system then slowboated to another system to strike but that's almost certaintly because their gate capacity has been reached. As I know of non-hardcoded way to increase gate capacity, there's nothing I can do about this on my end.

---------------------------------------
You all remember these guys right? Well, I've got them to a place I'm happy with. Hard to detect, not terribly hard to kill for a full fleet with the more Proteans in the system meaning more 'better' worlds. This system once I cleared it for example had every world with almost no CH rating. A good trade off since it usually takes two or three combat rounds to clear them all out.

Ignore the elite assault shuttle down there - that's a bug since I forgot to set it to require antimatter. That's fixed for my next match.

I for one am not used to seeing Zuul drones.

Swarm encounters are at a good place though I feel they could use a bit of a buff in the firepower department. Marked that down for later.

My latest systemvariable file (or whatever its called) included extra-large gas giants which is shown here.

Such a pretty game when it wants to be.

If you ever needed direct evidence that planets are actually a figment of our imagination. There's no collision damage in SOTS2 unlike in SOTS1.

Wanted to see what the Loa AI was up to so sent an early raiding fleet at them. One of my changes for Zuul is that all of the 'random' boarding pods are now replaced with assault shuttles. It just made more sense for me.

'Diplomatic' Loa's golden skin is still functional. :love:

Not entirely sure about the AI's choice of using this particular command section on a ship that's here for defense, but whatever floats their boat.

PH's two super factions in battle with one another. One has exceptionally powerful and durable ships, the other has many more ships in the first place.

Pitted in combat with one another like this has made me realize that I need to further buff Loa Cruisers. Their current stats are not enough to offset my 3x or 4x larger fleet, even if Zuul ships are almost made of cotton candy. Though I'd not be surprised if some of them actually are.

Tier 0 ballistics sure make for some pretty combat scenes.

Now I know this isn't the Loa's city skin as I call them, this is actually the one the VN uses. However since the VN are unfinished in SOTS2 and their homeworld doesn't do anything unlike in SOTS1, I've borrowed their city skin for the Loa as I like it better.

Normally I have reflections and other things set at their lowest setting for the ships (the V4 color mod) but with the Loa, I like it the other way around.

A demonstration of the pure ferocity the Zuul has in PH; and that's not even all of the ships in the fleet.

Seems I've not updated the death effects for Loa ships. Added to my to-do list.

I did lose the CnC ship (but so did they) and due to how PH has its weapons set up, I didn't scratch the planet. Which is how I like it - shouldn't be able to kill a planet with lasers as far as I am concerned. Unless they are some kind of special laser. I guess? :?:

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 am

I'm always happy to debug your templates with SOS Patch if you like :) Might help me squash a bug!

what did you mean by maintenance? Did you mean fleet backfilling? The starting fleets never really back fill because they arrive as defined. The starting fleets are the ones from stock (I think)... Loa always got a bonus because their starting fleets all were given 70000 cubes despite the he template content, again, stock.

Anyway, I'd like to help PH in any way I can. Just let me know! Or PM me.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 am

willdieh wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 am
I'm always happy to debug your templates with SOS Patch if you like :) Might help me squash a bug!

what did you mean by maintenance? Did you mean fleet backfilling? The starting fleets never really back fill because they arrive as defined. The starting fleets are the ones from stock (I think)... Loa always got a bonus because their starting fleets all were given 70000 cubes despite the he template content, again, stock.

Anyway, I'd like to help PH in any way I can. Just let me know! Or PM me.
Ship maintenance costs - Ship Upkeep. More ships = more costs early on. Back near the release of SOTS2, I used to scuttle the then lv4 naval station and replace it with a level 1 due to how much income it eats up. Kerb lowered station upkeep costs if I recall over time and eventually changed the starting naval station to a level 3 instead of 4.

Hivers also had (have?) the same issue in that due to having so many ships in turn 1, they either scuttled some or shoved them in reserve to keep costs manageable.

Since nothing but LVs in PH cost maintenance (well the others do, but its like 50 savings per turn), starting off with a full set of fleets won't cause your starting income to be horrible or in the hivers case, negative. In essence, this has always been why PH gets off to such a fast start when compared to vanilla or even VAE; you're not paying upkeep.

As for the fleet template, I'll let you know what was causing the crash when able - as stated, I'm using yours as a base and working off it.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Ah, I see... I'm so used to only watching the AI that I forgot normal players have to pay fleet maintenance :) I know it's especially painful if playing Loa (gate upkeep) and seriously thought about eliminating/severely reducing gate upkeep for them. I didn't think it would be as big an issue as you mention for Hiver... They do have two DEFAULT_GATE fleets that have FILL'd COMBAT template entries (meaning two full fleets) so I can see how that could be an issue. If you have any suggestions for how to better set the AI Hiver player up, let me know.

If you'd ever be willing to consolidate your cosmetic enhancements and fixes, I'd like to be able to include them in SOS Patch as well.
Work on Lasers (Beamers) is ongoing. Since they do not get reflected and hit instantly, they are proving to be hard to use since the AI hates them when compared to blasters (Lasers) since the AI doesn't seem to take into account how many 'ticks' of damage a beam does when compared to other weapon types. Could be wrong but, ehh.
I'll try and look into that...

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm a bit concerned about my most recent AI ship building budgetary changes and how they might affect your PH mod... If you're struggling financially, it might be even worse with the most recent patch (3.11.2019) as I've eliminated the savings safety net the stock game used and AI begins building at 500,00 credits with no restrictions (except for defense stations, which I think require 1,500,000). If the AI expands to new planets, maybe you'll be okay though. Without trade, it might be a challenge... Let me know.

I will add BORE entries to the Zuul CONSTRUCTION and COLONIZATION templates (not the starting ones, but the fully filled ones intended to be built by AI after the first turn). Hopefully that will improve the nodeline stability issues you mentioned earlier. I haven't had time to playtest Zuul much yet so thanks for the feedback.

As for lasers vs beamers, here's how I see the AI scoring them based off stock weapon stats. Of course it depends on whether the AI is building a ship for BRAWLER or STAND_OFF, the two most common builds. Keep in mind that the two types of scores (BRAWLER and STAND_OFF) are not comparable as both score types would never be used in a single ship design.

BRAWLER (highest damage)

X-Ray Laser
Weapon Attributes: Energy, Laser, StandOff
Effective Damage: 4
Number of Volleys: 1
Recharge Time: 3.5
Effective Deviation: 0.75
Armor Piercing: 0
Payload Type: Bolt
Non-Beam Damage Score: 4 * 1 / 3.5 / (0.75 + 1) * (0 + 1) = 0.65

X-Ray Beamer
Weapon Attributes: Brawler, Energy
Effective Damage: 3
Duration: 1
Beam Damage Period: 0.5
Recharge Time: 6
Effective Deviation: 0
Payload Type: Beam
Beam Damage Score: 3 * 1 / 0.5 / 6 / (0 + 1) = 1.0

STAND_OFF (long range)

X-Ray Laser
Weapon Attributes: Energy, Laser, StandOff
Max Range: 2000
Max Damage: 3
Recharge Time: 3.5
Max Deviation: 1
Payload Type: Bolt
Stand Off Score: 2000 * 3 / 3.5 / (1 + 1) * (0 + 1) = 514

X-Ray Beamer
Weapon Attributes: Brawler, Energy
Max Range: 1200
Max Damage: 3
Recharge Time: 6
Max Deviation: 0
Payload Type: Beam
Stand Off Score: 1200 * 3 / 6 / (0 + 1) * (0 + 1) = 600

The score is then multiplied by 2 if the weapon requires any of the technologies the faction designing the ship is favorable towards (eg Energy Weapons, Ballistic Weapons) and then multiplied again by a faction preference factor that aligns each faction with their traditional weapon types (ie, hiver/zuul like ballistics and missiles, humans like torpedoes, liir like torpedoes and energy, morrigi like energy and drones, tarkas like ballistics, and loa like brawler weapons and energy, draining, or torpedoes).

So I'm not sure why beamers (at least X-ray beamers) wouldn't be preferred to lasers... Do you have the same weapon stats? The debug console will display the weapon scoring values along with the ship design type during the ship design process if that helps...

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Apart from COL, every weapon in PH is custom made and most ships and sections have been redone. Apart from hard coded things like the missiles the planets fire, all weapons have been made from essentially scratch so vanilla stats aren't comparable to PH. And I plan on customizing COL once I bother too. What's the command to see the AI's weapon preferences, as I don't see any mention of them in the log or the debug console.

As for income, It's okay. PH isn't meant to be a balanced mod, its designed to be as enjoyable as possible with as few compromises as I can manage - hence why trade's gone. Well, that and it increased turn times a lot late game. If the AI on the lower difficulties struggle too much then I can increase the tax bonus all Homeworlds get. As for the Hivers early game issues, I want to do another match or two with them being my only opponent and\or simming them since once they declared war, they seemed to actually do something.

Just putting this out there, please don't worry about issues SoS may cause with PH. If there's something causing a large problem, there's always a work-around unlike VAE. Right now, everything is fine and yes, it has increased my workload but the results are well worth it. You've done some great work.

PS. The cosmetic stuff, I think all of the download links are still valid. But when I get time, I'll upload PH's current collection of material files. There's only two custom variants that PH uses though that ain't in the usual v4 Color mod versions, those being my so called 'Neon Liir' for the DLC Liir and the 'Diplomatic' Loa material file.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 pm

AI player tech preferences can be seen on the debug console with AI logging enabled in either Verbose or Standard log level (easier to read in the latter). It's displayed each time an AI player chooses a new technology to research. The line will show the tech preferences of the player in curly braces just after the turn number.

Return to “Modding”