SOTSOS v0.3.9 - speeds up UI and turns

Moderator: Makail

Post Reply
reaver2000
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by reaver2000 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 am

hi... I'd love to try this out. could someone list me a step by step a 6 year could follow. I am very frustrated by the UI and turn delays especially in late game - so please some help as I have not much working knowledge of how to install this MOD and i'd love to.

also if possible include a way of checking whether its working or not. This could help out a lot of people as i am sure i am not the only IT dummy out there.

Nugarin thank you for all this work, an even bigger thanks if I could get it to work!

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Posts: 3131
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:15 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 am

Even though I don't seem to able to open the links now, I'm pretty sure the first post contains everything you asked for.

Nugarin, are you planning on making builds for the SotS2 beta versions?

Unrah
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 am

Hey reaver 2000,

1.) Download the latest version here: https://github.com/nugarin/sotsos/tags (currently version 0.3.8 ) and extract it (doensn`t matter
where you extract it). To download click on the small zip icon below v0.3.8
2.) Inside the new extracted folder now go to the release folder and double-click sotsos.installer.exe and install the mod.
3.) After the installation a new window opens with the sotsos patcher window (you can manually open it via the sotsos.patchergui.exe), check all the boxes (or check only the features you want to install) and press the apply button.

Launch the game and enjoy! The mod works with the latest game verion, but so far not with the new beta version.
You see that it works when waiting times after turn end are MUCH shorter, or via the new fleet admiral UI.

To uninstall the mod again, just uninstall the sotsos mod with the windows uninstaller, then open steam, right click in your library on sots II, go to proerties --> local files ---> check local files for errors and you have your original game version again.

Hope this helps.

And to nugarin, the author of this mod: GREAT AWESOME work. For me this game is only playable atm cause of your work, because without it the waiting times after end turn are just redicilous, especially on larger maps later in the game. Now all that is missing for me is a decent ai which can put up a fight, cause atm ai is just a joke, even with the new very hard difficulty you created (which is still a lot better that the hard ai from the original game).
Thank you very much for your great work!!! i sincerly hope you keep at it!

silencer_pl
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by silencer_pl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 am

Can I use this mod with game already in progress or I should start a new one? Also how this mod works with steam autoupdate ? Must I disable autoupdater?

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Posts: 3131
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:15 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm

You forgot about backing up the dll's...

I continued a game with this mod without any problems (which is not that surprising considering the changes). I'd disable autoupdate just to be sure...

reaver2000
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by reaver2000 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Unrah wrote:Hey reaver 2000,

1.) Download the latest version here: https://github.com/nugarin/sotsos/tags (currently version 0.3.8 ) and extract it (doensn`t matter
where you extract it). To download click on the small zip icon below v0.3.8
2.) Inside the new extracted folder now go to the release folder and double-click sotsos.installer.exe and install the mod.
3.) After the installation a new window opens with the sotsos patcher window (you can manually open it via the sotsos.patchergui.exe), check all the boxes (or check only the features you want to install) and press the apply button.

Launch the game and enjoy! The mod works with the latest game verion, but so far not with the new beta version.
You see that it works when waiting times after turn end are MUCH shorter, or via the new fleet admiral UI.

To uninstall the mod again, just uninstall the sotsos mod with the windows uninstaller, then open steam, right click in your library on sots II, go to proerties --> local files ---> check local files for errors and you have your original game version again.

Hope this helps.

And to nugarin, the author of this mod: GREAT AWESOME work. For me this game is only playable atm cause of your work, because without it the waiting times after end turn are just redicilous, especially on larger maps later in the game. Now all that is missing for me is a decent ai which can put up a fight, cause atm ai is just a joke, even with the new very hard difficulty you created (which is still a lot better that the hard ai from the original game).
Thank you very much for your great work!!! i sincerly hope you keep at it!



Unrah...and everyone else, thank you very much... i was getting confused. :?

cheers...

Unrah
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:You forgot about backing up the dll's...

I continued a game with this mod without any problems (which is not that surprising considering the changes). I'd disable autoupdate just to be sure...


Actually you don`t need to back them up. If you deinstall the mod and then do the file check via steam, game gets put back to original setup. But i guess it never hurts to have some additional backup.

nugarin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by nugarin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Even though I don't seem to able to open the links now, I'm pretty sure the first post contains everything you asked for.

Nugarin, are you planning on making builds for the SotS2 beta versions?


Not planning to do beta builds - code is available on the github though, you're welcome to fork it and send me the pull requests.
Having a Visual Studio 2012 might be a stumbling block, but I don't see a reason why we couldn't have another solution file for SharpDevelop, which is free.

nugarin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by nugarin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Unrah wrote:with the new very hard difficulty you created

VeryHard was already in, all I did was enable it.

User avatar
Mecron
Kerberos
Posts: 38674
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Have not read all the topic but did you mention this mod nukes MP completely even if both parties are using it?

nugarin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by nugarin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Mecron wrote:Have not read all the topic but did you mention this mod nukes MP completely even if both parties are using it?


I know for sure that applying one of the patches - "disable query logging" will nuke MP and it is so stated in the patch description.
It is possible that there are other issues as well - never tested with MP. Willing to fix if anybody reports an issue.

User avatar
Mecron
Kerberos
Posts: 38674
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:09 pm

one of your "optimizations" destroys MP

User avatar
SpardaSon21
Posts: 1869
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:24 am

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by SpardaSon21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 pm

I think he's going to need more information than that for proper code debugging. ;) Could you please tell him which "optimization" it is and/or how it destroys MP if you have that information?

User avatar
Mecron
Kerberos
Posts: 38674
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Son, you have the cart and horse reversed here.

My good will was taking the time to tell him the effect of his work. While that is basically damage control it is ON TOP of this mod already taking up programmer time wondering what the hell was going on in a couple of save games people sent in.

User avatar
Spoon
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:05 pm

Re: SOTSOS v0.3.8 - speeds up UI and turns

Post by Spoon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:08 am

Wow Mecron, just wow.
This guy is spending his free time to improve your disaster of a game and you come in here with that shitty unprofessional attitude, making short shit posts that provides absolutely no help to this fine gentlemen. As someone that is supposedly in the whole game development thing, you should know that posts like these:
Mecron wrote:one of your "optimizations" destroys MP

Are about as useful as throwing a sack of potatoes into the ocean, hoping that it will someday reach a starving child in africa.

My good will was taking the time to tell him the effect of his work.

Wow! such Good will.

While that is basically damage control it is ON TOP of this mod already taking up programmer time wondering what the hell was going on in a couple of save games people sent in.

Yeah, you know all about damage control huh? After doing that for months on end after selling a game in alpha status.

Protip: If you want to maintain a good community, you might want to reconsider your attitude as the spokesperson of kerberos.
Right now all you are doing is being an ass
Boobies

Post Reply

Return to “Modding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest