Useful Information & Guidelines - Read First

Moderator: Makail

Exavier724

Useful Information & Guidelines - Read First

Post by Exavier724 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 pm

While I know the modding community does have a page on the wiki it doesn't have information thats very up to date. My hopes is this will become a sticky so that new modders can see what is currently editable in the game as well as any current information or posting courtesies that should be observed.

I am reserving several posts in this thread's first page so that I can update it with any new information that becomes available. Modders are welcome to reply to this thread with any additions or corrections they believe should be added or updated.

Guidelines/Courtesies:
- Advertising mods outside the modding community is generally frowned upon.
- Creating/Promoting mods as bugfixs are forwned upon and only causes problems later down the line. Please leave any bug fixes to the Kerberos Development Teams.
- If bugs are found during modding please attempt to recreate them in a modless enviroment and report in Technical Support forum.
- Negitive comments directed at the Kerberos Development Team is considered in bad taste and may get your thread locked. They work hard on their projects and don't need the aggravation these cause.
- Don't use work from other modders without getting their permission first. It only ends in massive arguments.

Official Tools:
- Mars Console Commands
- Other Tools Not Currently Avalible, no ETA

Additional Tools:
- Sots2 Wiki Modding Section
- Galaxy Generator - Daequeous
- File Formats Discussion
- Jonesoft Generic Mod enabler (JSGME) - Alternate Mod Enabler Utility

Editable File Types:
- The following file types can be edited with any text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, etc).
    *.xml, *.techtree, *.section, *.module, *.weapon
Known Locked Functions:
- All file types that end with a ~ are encrypted through Kerberos's pipeline process and cannot currently be edited.
- Camera Position, AI, & UI IDs are all hard coded per most recent information.
- Defense Assets: New Defense assets cannot currently be added to the Battle Manager defense bar.
- Station Modules: While you can create station modules we currently can't modify the UI to make them avalible for construction on stations.
- Tech Tree: New techs cannot be added to the tech trees until the ~ files can be edited.
- Mining Ship Sections: Per request from Mecron we have been asked not to use these in mods. Kerberos has plans for them.
Last edited by Exavier724 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Exavier724

Re: Useful Information & Guidelines - Read First

Post by Exavier724 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Mod Installation:
- Current installation of mods is to overwrite existing game files. Generally you will unzip the files provided by the mod and copy them into the correct locations.

Mod Removal:
- Because current mod installation is overwrite style the best way to remove a mod is to delete the folders the mod added content to and use steams "Verify local files" function to re-download the files that where modified.

Exavier724

Post by Exavier724 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Graphics Editing:
- Avatar & Badges Converter Information
- Player Color Code Changes

Model Editing:

Sound Editing:

Miscellaneous:
- Save Game Editing

Exavier724