SotS 2 Remastered Mod v0.9

Moderator: Makail

Desolator

Re: SotS 2 Remastered Mod v0.9

Post by Desolator » Fri May 29, 2015 9:14 am

DatonKallandor wrote:Yeah that's what I was afraid was going to happen. No there's no way to force the AI to be not bad on that level with the degree of access I'm capable of. I've even had a branch of the mod that started everyone with Dreadnought tech just to get some interesting fights to happen quicker against the AI and that didn't help either. Guess we'll need to wait for someone to find a way to mod the AI directly for true fixes.

Not going to happen I think. The AI is hard coded into the engine of the game, which we cannot mod without mod support. Or at least so far no one seems to have found the AI behaviour in the txt files...

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Desolator wrote:another problem that's still in this version is that we, my friends and I, will be fielding full DN / full LV fleets and the AI will still be using cruisers... Is there a way to "force" the AI to actually build something big besides doing all the work for them (which isn't really fun...) by jumping into their slots?

Yeah that's what I was afraid was going to happen. No there's no way to force the AI to be not bad on that level with the degree of access I'm capable of. I've even had a branch of the mod that started everyone with Dreadnought tech just to get some interesting fights to happen quicker against the AI and that didn't help either. Guess we'll need to wait for someone to find a way to mod the AI directly for true fixes.[/quote]

whether or not the AI builds large ships is a matter of their economy not their tech. The two best ways I have found to get the ai to build big ships is to give them more money and IO and the make big ships count as command ships. The AI tends to be very cautious when it comes to spending lots of money most likely due to the fact that they just colonize everything and ignore the costs as well as their obsession with prototyping. Making DNs cheaper would also get them to build more probably.

There is also definitely a hardcoded aspect to it as well. Even with unlimited resources I haven't seen DNs from the ai until about turn 30ish
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Selak

Post by Selak » Fri May 29, 2015 11:11 pm

while i dont know if it will have any affect, there is a game file that gives AI weight factors for certain ship sections as to which sections it is more likely to use if they are available i think. It only lists cruiser sections in it so it may help to give weight to dreadnaughts and leviathans. its "section_preferences.csv" under assets\base\factions and it has cruiser section preferences for all playable factions including LOA but it has no preferences for anything larger than cruisers.

I do not know if the game actually uses the file or not.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 30, 2015 2:52 am

it does

Selak

Post by Selak » Sat May 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Then based on mercon's very helpful response there (Thank you by the way), it should be possible to add a preference for dreadnaught sections and then try and balance them to get the AI to field mixed fleets assuming you set the preferences correctly.

Desolator

Post by Desolator » Sat May 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Assuming we can just add more lines into this file they would be as follows for DN's and LV's?

hiver,factions\hiver\sections\cr_mis_armor.section,30
hiver,factions\hiver\sections\dn_mis_armor.section,30
hiver,factions\hiver\sections\lv_mis_armor.section,30

This would then give the AI equal weight for a DN armor / LV armor (suppose that would be just lv_cmd.section,1 orso) as it would give to a cruiser and use this as mission ships?

Selak

Post by Selak » Sat May 30, 2015 11:55 pm

i would guess that the dn line is likely correct.

the levi's are all single section ships so the basic lv is just "lv.section" for instance. you would have to look at the file names in assets\base\faction\hiver\sections to see what the names are for the hiver ships and the appropriate place for the others.

note that all loa ships are under assets\eof\factions\loa\Sections and all the new sections added for the other playable races as part of eof are also in the assets\eof\factions folder under each race.

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:43 am

You might want to take a look at the section preferences file from the pocket leviathan project. It has done most of what you are trying to accomplish and might save you some time. You'd need to remove the new sections to make it work (and get permission to fold it into your work of course) but might help. I've done this with my game and it seems to help the ai ship selection.

Desolator

Post by Desolator » Sun May 31, 2015 6:55 pm

I checked the PLP, and he states he's fine with people doing whatever with it, so I've gone ahead and edited the file to the best of my abilities.
If someone would be so kind as to check my work (since I'm kinda bad at these things :P) and tell me / upload their corrected version of the file I would be grateful :)

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:58 am

Traveling on business this week but i can upload my file on Friday. Was working on my own mod to upload but maybe i will try yours before i go to far.

Desolator

Post by Desolator » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:49 pm

This is not my mod ^^ but if you could upload your edited file I would be very grateful.

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Here's the file. Slightly modified version of ProjectLevy's file with the extra sections removed. Should work with the "base" game sections without any issues.

MurkyDragon

Post by MurkyDragon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Ah! Ive been lookin for something like this.

To be honest, SotSII was a let down. Beautiful, yea but it took away a lot of what the first had.

A bad game? For anyone yes. I personally like it. And have been looking for a mod to improve on parts of it I didnt like, thats what this mod does.

So thanks!

Gyro

Post by Gyro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Oooo, sounds like this might be going places. I know that I for one would appreciate if people continued to report back.

Asadex

Post by Asadex » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello,
i joust re-installed the game and i'm searching a way to have extend the maximum ranges of than scanner range and extend the tactical battle timer to the nax limit.
Have you an idea on how to do it?
Best regards
Asadex

Return to “Modding”