Is it possible to....

Moderator: Makail

Ciurrioc

Is it possible to....

Post by Ciurrioc » Sat May 16, 2015 5:29 am

Change the Alternate Race skins into a custom race? say copy the neccesary files from one of the other races, place them in the
Alternate file location where the DLC skins are kept and have a custom race there?
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

ProjectLevyDelta

Re: Is it possible to....

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:37 am

cant really give you an answer. but here a link to a skin mod that works with sots 2

Skin Mod

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:52 am

The Skin mod is pretty much something I used from day one when it came out for the Tarka, it got me thinking ages ago but only really considering it now if its possible to "replace" the DLC race files with a custom race, by simply filling those files with the relevant data from the vanilla races.

had no time lately to give this a whirl, wanted to know if anyone tried.

All in all it would just be an even more alternate race than it already is...a different version of each faction really. so that + the means to get them to spawn from rebel/indy planets and different stats = what I'm going for.

Thank you all the same Levy

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:52 pm

ahh, well only way to know for sure is to do it yourself, I could mess with it personally, but I would need a bit of free time so would take me a couple days to get around to it.

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Yeah I'm going for it, and thank you.

PS your Leviathan Model would have been so sexy in Sots2

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:44 am

Ciurrioc wrote:PS your Leviathan Model would have been so sexy in Sots2

think you got the wrong person... I suck at modeling, so I don't do it.. and I never posted a image of any model I made before :?

I have done section file editing and made leviathans with shields and / or lots of super heavy weapon mounts before. I have images of those in the picture of the day thread, but I never made a model from scratch ... :blush:

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:42 am

Well my continuation in this regard is related to my first post, I can't really test the ability of cross race texturing since the file name and texture sites are so different between the races.

FIEN

What I have been trying to achieve however is a custom race within the bounds of the races we have by messing with the DLC Immersion Packs

I AM SO CLOSE,

buuuuutt the way the game is set up I've hit a wall, long story short I put custom sections in the DLC factions folder and tried to redirect where it gets its section data from said folder instead of the stock vanilla locations, NO BUENO. the game wont recognize anything sitting outside the primary data folder.

which kinda doesn't make sense since it reads EOF data and the DLC textures just fine.

My messing around involved the _Sections.XML and factions.XML respectively.

no dice

if I don't make any changes to those two files I get double sections for said race in the build menu

any ideas?

Cookies

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:33 am

COUGH. still stuck on this :angel:

I effectively moved the section files for the Tarka Vanilla race into the DLC_Tarka folder, and changed the XML so that it takes the section Data from the Section folder in the Immersion Skins, it works but like I said simply makes two versions of every section appear in the Design menu for the Immersion Tarka.

Any pointers would be lovely. Vesavi how to tell game stop reading vanilla section folders/files for DLC Tarka race

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:13 am

Nada?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:23 pm

I run into the same problem you have. The only difference being that the game can make it a full new faction, but it crashes as there's not enough mod-exposed entries to support a totally new faction going into the game.

Anyway, from my experiments, the faction file for the DLC folders is mostly ignored barring the texture changes and the material file entry. Anything else in there, even if it'd normally crash the game in the other files gets totally ignored. You can actually delete the entire DLC folder and the game won't care one bit - it just won't show the immersion textures and anything else that was normally in that folder.

It is my working theory that the game simply handles the DLC folders different than the EOF and Base ones, that it won't replace anything (barring the textures). It actually seems to merge the two folders together - ships that are entirely localised in the immersion folder with zero references or dependency on the base folder are still fully usable and buildable by the non-immersion faction.

So I am afraid that the answer is currently that you can't. :?
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 pm

hmm DO go on about this Mod Exposed entries thing you're having. is it something you or I can overcome? I assume no since you'd have made your own factions by now, but I am all kinds of game to make my own Faction if possible with whatever it takes to get that going

Thank you for the input though, nice to see you back

Return to “Modding”