SOTS II Reforged

Moderator: Makail

adamut100

Re: SOTS II Reforged

Post by adamut100 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:49 am

Karu,

Valid concerns. Let me give some feedback on my thought process.

Karu wrote: Late game CR (with DN/LV command) could allready go head to head with DNs/LVs with the right loadout and would trade favoriably.
2 CR for 1 DN is more then worth it.
So my question is: can you elaborate what you changed - flat armor/struc would tilt the favor towards CR. With your supply changes even more so.

My end goal is to create a varied fleet mix where cruisers, dns, and lvns all serve a purpose. That being said, a DN is more powerful than a cruiser by a fair margin. See the comparison below using a tarkas battlebridge/armor/am shaped hf cruiser/dn. The DN is more powerful and the CP to cost ratio is essentially flat. Again the goal being to allow for variation in fleet choice.

Structure: CR- 2000 DN 9000
Armor: CR- 1680 DN 5520
Heavy Mounts: CR 3 vs DN 6
Beam: CR 2 vs DN 5
Medium: CR 8 vs DN 32
Light: CR 1 vs DN 8
Savings Cost: CR-169K DN- 514K

In this example, the DN outguns the CR 2:1, absorbs more than 3x more damage with armor, and 4x more dmg with structure and has an extra armor layer.

Karu wrote:

BR's with Adamant (or any other armor/tech that would grant a blue layer) is a bad idea. Why? Because BR are viable PD targets.
And PD does nothing against a blue layer.

My hope was that i'd be able to find a way to get the pd to ignore the BR with tier IV armor. Haven't seen this actually work in my playtesting and unless I do find a way, I'll be removing the tier iv option from BRs in the next update.

Karu wrote:
Morrigi Medium Emitter Heavy drones allready dominated midgame. And thats with 2 Emitter on 6 drones.
What would be a viable counter for even more drones?
(in "vanila" even 4 MK1 shielded, magno ceramiced Hiver PD ships that defend a 66CP fleet with Phallanx PD will bleed 4-5 ships allready.)
Did you test that case?

Logic on the drone increase is that all other ships are being made more effective. Rather than make drones mini-brs, I increased the drone counts. I'm still play testing the count and if 10 proves too many, then I'll move it down lower. As for the emitters issue, most non-point blank weapons have received range and accuracy increases including pd. My hope is that my initial balancing will make more options viable but I'll continue to adjust.

Feel free to test for yourself. Just looking to make a more enjoyable game for myself and anyone else who wants to benefit for my tweaks.

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:48 am

Quick update here. I was called out of town on business last week so call I'll be splitting my effort to post v1.2 into two. Goal being to post Hiver by the end of this week along with a few other minor changes and then put out liir after playtesting Hiver and making Liir adjustments.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Be careful to only use your balance equations as a guideline. ;)

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 am

Appreciate the feedback. My thought is to roughly balance everyone and then go out from there. That being said, I'm still trying to leave some faction identity intact, so hiver ships are heavier and have more structure. They have thicker sideband armor and softer top/bottom armor to reflect their combat preference for broadsides. I've also replaced the Hiver drones with Swarmer light/heavy drones. I really enjoy those models and they look hiver-like to me so had to bring them in.

Still tracking to have Hiver out by this weekend and pull back the Addy armor for BRs for the ones already out. Depending on time, might try and sneak in a few other changes as well.

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:31 am

I've decided after some additional play testing to do a larger overhaul than I originally planned. I'll be posting a new update once I've completed this remap. I think I've figured out a template to rewrite the existing files semi-automatically so this should speed up my revisions quite a bit. I'm testing it now. Assuming all goes well, I'll provide an ETA after I spend a few hours using it to make my changes.

Here's what my plan is as of now:
--Re-balance of all ship classes to include a more robust "tier II" so for example battle riders and more powerful "destroyers".
--Finish weapon rebalancing
--Faction-specific rework of some ship stats. Planning on finalizing these and posting some information on them as soon as I'm done.

Valerian

Post by Valerian » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 am

Just to let you know that some people are still playing SotS2 and are very interested in your mod, thank you for your work :)

In fact I'm literally discovering SotS1 since a few weeks only and got completely hooked, I'm now starting to discover SotS2 :P ^^

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:52 am

Real life has dragged me away for a bit but I've been reworking and tweaking as I've had time. Good news is I'm making progress. I'll be releasing the latest update to this mod within the next few days to rebalance humans/tarkas/morrigi and launch hivers. I've gotten my tool refined well enough now that replacing and updating should be smoothly from now on.

Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks for your time and work :)

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:36 am

I've updated the original post with a new download link for version 1.2. You'll notice some pretty major changes in the armor/structure values for all races. I've also added hiver and a few ship classes here and there. My play testing this round was pretty limited and if i see some major issues with my additional testing, I'll post a quick update. Let me know if you have thoughts/concerns.

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:34 pm

I found a small error in the section preferences file last night that is going to cause some crashes when using Hiver. I corrected it and will repost the updated mod later tonight.

*Edit* I've posted the new link now.

Theghar

Post by Theghar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks Man - going to test this :]

wizely

Post by wizely » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for doing this mod and sharing it with us.

Just tried testing it and my game initially launched fine with your mod. I made a saved game which was successful as well.. However the game would crash the moment I exit to main menu and thereafter it wouldn't start again. Had to reinstall the game in the end.

I will probably just wait for your next update and try again.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Looks great! :thumbsup:

wizely

Post by wizely » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:27 pm

One possible error I saw (was trying out Morrigi) is that you've created a new Heavy Missle section, but the corresponding model was missing..

Hope this helps.

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Wizely,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm seeing the issue with the models. It isn't that i made a new model, it is that i moved the section file into the main file. The model file is truncated so it doesn't have the full file description. If you want to fix yourself, just move all the models from the eof folder into the corresponding folder in the base file. I just did this in 5 minutes and it fixed the issue. I'm hesitant to add the models to the mod package for size purposes and also don't want to take the hard-work of the Kerb team on the models and post it up for anyone to snatch up.

Haven't seen the crash issue you described. Can you PM me the details so i can bug hunt?

Return to “Modding”