SOTS II Reforged

Moderator: Makail

wizely

Re: SOTS II Reforged

Post by wizely » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:37 am

I'll do what you have suggested first and see if it solves my crashing issue :)

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:50 am

All,

Doing so more play testing and bug hunting. I'll release a small patch to fix a few things I found. if anyone sees anything not on the list below and let's me know tonight, I'll try and address in the patch for tomorrow.

Known issues:
--Police not placing as defense assets (fixed in tomorrow's patch)
--Missing ship models (fix by user; see prior posts for details)
--Morrigi Fusion Engine has extra armor; 10 layers too many (fixed in tomorrow's patch)
--General cleanup of ship section files to clear some issues with my update formula that might be slowing down turn speed. (fixed in tomorrow's patch)
--Minor string errors (fixed in tomorrow's patch)

**edit** I've posted the minor patch outlined above.**

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Hey, tnx for the continued support for this mod.
Right now i am starting my first game with the new version.
first question:
How can i play on the maps u made? if i start a new game i cannot see them =)

greetings

edit: ok found the problem, i started sots2 from my backup folder, works now.
I really hope i can find some tense action :D

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:40 am

So i spent some time setting up my game (i probably restarted about ~6 times once i even played 10 turns befor i realised the mod wasnt running :oops: and after that i messed up the empty badges mod from balti which i really grew addicted to over the years) anyways it gott late and i wasnt able to dive into it anymore yesterday.
however i noticed something:
The Support Carrier section didnt show any mounts for BR's in the design screen. Is that normal or something i messed up?
greetings

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:10 am

BlueInstinct wrote:however i noticed something:
The Support Carrier section didnt show any mounts for BR's in the design screen. Is that normal or something i messed up?

AFAIK ships, stations and platforms never show their BR mounts if they carry actual Battleriders instead of drones, Assault shuttles and so on.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Oh you are right rossina, i didnt even chek if they can load riders because it was too late yesterday.
So yeah, they can load them :D

greetings

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 am

ok, after ~3hours of play i have to say i really like the mod.

But i still seem to suffer from the issue where the AI just would not attack me, not even scout(survey) me.
I had this issue for a long time everytime i play (which was only like 3 or 4 times).

My gamesetup is like this:
me solforce TEAM2
AI tarka, hiver, morrigi TEAM1

All AI's on hard with 9 starting systems and max tech/money

Now that i right it down, maybe the passiveness of the AI is somehow related to the fact that i always use the Team Function. Maybe it is somewhat bugged in that regard. I say this because in every game i have used it, the AI doesnt wanna attack me even if its waayyy bigger than me.

gonna try it if the AI is not waking up soon.

other than that, i really like the new weapons, and the increased range of them.
PLD said that in his plp mod he increased the minimum number of ships a warfleet of the AI has to have.
This seems like something worth adapting as i have seen 42/54 combat fleets from the AI in this mod.
(i have no idea if u could force the 72 Command point fleets in the CR aera to be filled up too, as it seems the AI has trouble with that.)
Adamut, have u seen full 72/72 in your games?

also what kind of setup would you suggest for maximum difficulty if i want to do something like a 1v3
(races, map, teams) I would really apreciate some tipps :D

This mod is very good and i hope u can continue working on it.
greetings

Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 pm

How is the AI doing with this mod?

adamut100

Post by adamut100 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:49 am

Quick update for everyone. I was travelling on business last week so no work done on the mod. That being said, I'm going to post another small bugfix update in a few days as i found a CTD issue related to slaver bands (I renamed a weapon they are hard coded to use. This makes the game crash) and a few other little things. I'm hoping to have my weapon update in place next week and maybe even the Liir done and ready by then as well.

Blue,

I've seen the AI use the larger fleets, seem to use the new section preferences (including non-command DNs etc), and act aggressively in scenarios very similar to the setup you described. I've been play testing on teams in the cross map included in my download (3 Hard AI on team vs. me). They tend to act a little soft for a few turns and then one will declare war and drag the others in a few turns later. Once they get going, I've seen some decent aggression. I'm considering creating a dedicated "hard" enemy (either zuul or loa) to provide some additional challenge but I don't want to rob players of using these races.

wayeward

Post by wayeward » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 am

This mod looks promising; the strange lack of AI aggression at times in the vanilla game was always a downer, as was the AI seemingly getting stuck with the same low tier weapons from time to time. I may even persuade a few people to try this out in multiplayer, or is that not advisable as yet? Thanks for the mod~

XCOMJunkie

Post by XCOMJunkie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:23 am

Hmm, I must be screwing up the install order somehow, all I get is a white screen of death on startup of the game after following the manual install instructions. I've attached my log file, can anyone help me figure out where I'm going wrong? I'd really love to play this mod!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:43 am

XCOMJunkie wrote:Hmm, I must be screwing up the install order somehow, all I get is a white screen of death on startup of the game after following the manual install instructions. I've attached my log file, can anyone help me figure out where I'm going wrong? I'd really love to play this mod!

Only kerb has the program to read .mdmp logs afaik.
The one we'd need to see if we can help you is the .txt log found in your Sots2 appdata\Local folder.
C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Sword of the Stars II\log
Is where you should be able to find it, at least on Win7. Dunno about the other operating systems.

In the meantime, can you confirm that you extracted the file properly? In another words, that you don't have two assets or base folders for example, or that it actually overwrote the files it was supposed to.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

XCOMJunkie

Post by XCOMJunkie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:11 am

Sorry, didn't realize that. Here's the log file as requested. I followed the instructions included in the mod as closely as I could, replacing or merging as requested. Didn't know what to do with the Ship update Sheet.xlsx. Was trying to activate SOTSII through my steam launcher as usual, if I need to do something special to activate the mod I don't know what it is.

Does the log file give you a clue as to what my problem is? I have no idea what it means when it says it's failing to mount certain files.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for trying!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:55 pm

XCOMJunkie wrote:Sorry, didn't realize that. Here's the log file as requested. I followed the instructions included in the mod as closely as I could, replacing or merging as requested. Didn't know what to do with the Ship update Sheet.xlsx. Was trying to activate SOTSII through my steam launcher as usual, if I need to do something special to activate the mod I don't know what it is.

Does the log file give you a clue as to what my problem is? I have no idea what it means when it says it's failing to mount certain files.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for trying!

Installed the mod, and it worked fine for me (even though all I did was copy it in wholesale and did nothing else.), so its not an error on the mods side as far as I can see if it works with my lazy attempt at installing it.

But from the log, errors are always found right at the bottom. The important line is:

W (2015/09/14 03:18:25) [game] System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Failed to create stream.

File name: 'factions\fleet_templates.xml'

This implies one of three things.
1) You didn't replace this file with the modded one or put it somewhere else by accident, or deleted it and didn't replace it.
2) It got corrupted when it was downloaded. Unlikely, but its always at least possible.
3) Somehow, a dependency such as inside the section files, something went wrong during this admittedly unusual way of installing this mod.

What leads me to the third one is a bunch of lines above the "main" one.

W (2015/09/14 03:18:24) [gui] Ignoring redefiniton of sprite 'SupplyIcon'.
W (2015/09/14 03:18:24) [gui] Ignoring redefiniton of sprite 'PowerIcon'.
W (2015/09/14 03:18:24) [gui] Ignoring redefiniton of sprite 'CrewIcon'.

I've never seen any of those before, and adamut has not dipped into XML UI editing which could possibly cause those kinds of errors somehow. Granted considering it didn't crash the game (as the log would have said that), its probably not relevant.

Anyway, try replacing the factions\fleet_templates.xml and the section_preferences.xml again. If that fails, you could try installing it just by extracting the whole thing straight into the game like I did, and then delete things progressively such as doing the weapon installation part and seeing if your error re-occurs.

Can't think of much else.

kobayashimaru

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:21 pm

I've waited a long time for a good and comprehensive mod for SOTS 2 that would make it more playable. You are doing a good job and thank you for that.
I've tried the mod, seen some good things than I got raiders and associated CTD. No way past that so I guess we have to wait for now.
Also, with the mod installed sometimes I get CTD when entering the main menu (game can't render the main menu's background battle for some reason).

Anyway, what I'd really like to see, above everything else, is a decent AI. AI that actually makes sense and doesn't send fleets of mine layers at you or some other game breaking nonsense like that. SOTS 2 is actually such a good game that it manages to entertain you for weeks with all its content and intricacies, despite the fact that it's main thing, the AI, is broken. :) But, actual AI is suposedly hard coded, right? Not much can be done besides fleet compositions and upkeep tricks.
As far as I've seen in this mod, AI has much better fleet compositions for starters and it, by itself, is a very important improvement.

Keep up the good work!

Return to “Modding”