Alternate Ballistic Weapons suggestions? (download now up)

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Alternate Ballistic Weapons suggestions? (download now up)

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 pm

EDIT - The weapon download can be found below.

----
What kind of new kinds of ballistic weapons do you think would work with a near-total revamp of the ballistic weapons (including the tech tree where possible) for SOTS2?

If you have any ideas, please post in this thread. As usual, can not guarantee it'd be possible but I can at least attempt it.

-----------
Current Project Hiver Ballistic Weaponry-

At the moment, all weapons are tied to one of the three era's within Project Hiver\SOTS2

Fusion era - You start here, as usual.
Antimatter era - After researching Antimatter, you unlock the Antimatter-era techs and weapons.
Reflex era - I know technically that reflex isn't actually an era, but humor my peasant mind. Anyway, upon researching Reflex, it unlocks the reflex-era weaponry and lets you research what used to be "Streak Drives", which are now the Reflex Drives for all factions.

Most weapons fall into the Fusion or Antimatter era, with some very dangerous ones for the reflex era.

Ballistics themselves do not fit into this with the SOTS2 system of everything barring one or two techs being available in the fusion era.

So what I've done is created three different kind of ballistic types:

Fusion era - Chemically propelled munitions.
Antimatter era - Magnetically propelled munitions (acceleration amplification)
Reflex era - Hypersonic munitions.

What I'd like to do is help flesh out what the ballistic tree offers over the energy weapon tree instead of "more damage at the cost of accuracy". Call me bias if you want, but that's how I've always seen the tradeoff between the two trees in the base game.

Right now, the ballistic tree has the following weapons. They are put into the code section as to not make this a gigantically long post.
Weapons with * in their names indicate that they are either temporary, test weapons or something I am not satisfied with.

Code: Select all

Ballistic Projector - A Projector-mount weapon which fires a huge hailstorm of ballistic projectiles at targets at a close range.

Ballistic Torpedo - A basic Torpedo-mount weapon which doesn't track, but is upgraded by ballistic research.

Stormer - A antimatter-era weapon which shoots off a burst of accelerated rounds at a medium range, doing considerable damage if they hit.

Hypersonic Stormer - A reflex-era weapon which quickly shoots off a burst of hypersonic rounds at a medium range, doing immense damage if they hit.

Ballistic Antimatter Cannon - Found in the energy tree but uses ballistic upgrades and stats, this antimatter-laced weapon gives ballistic focused faction what is otherwise an energy weapon.

*Burster* - A fusion era weapon which acts as an AOE weapon. Instead of bursting into other projectiles, to save performance this weapon simply has a detonation radius, making it like a flak cannon.

*Flechette* - A antimatter era. Basically the same as the base game - a shotgun.

Ballistic Fusion Cannon - Found in the energy tree but uses ballistic upgrades and stats, this fusion-laced weapon gives ballistic focused faction what is otherwise an energy weapon.

Heavy Artillery - a triple barreled artillery system which fires chemicalally propelled rounds at a very long range, but loses accuracy the closer the target gets.

HE Impactor - A long range weapon designed to do large amounts of damage to both ships and planets.

Hypersonic Impactor - The so called "top" of the ballistic tree hierarchy, this weapon fires slowly but causes immense damage to anything it hits.

ShieldPiercing Impactor - A slightly weaker version of the HE Impactor which will ignore all forms of shielding. (There are no grav or meson shields in PH for players.)

*Ballistic Inertial Cannon* - Currently disabled due to inability to prove that inertial weaponry actually works.

Leech - Same as in the base game.

Light Artillery - a single barreled artillery system which fires chemicalally propelled rounds at a very long range, but loses accuracy the closer the target gets.

Medium Artillery - a dual barreled artillery system which fires chemicalally propelled rounds at a very long range, but loses accuracy the closer the target gets.

Phalanx PD - A ballistic PD system which, while firing slow compared to some other PD systems, has the second highest damage potential per shot and is excellent againt larger, slower PD targets.

Ballistic Plasma Cannon - Found in the energy tree but uses ballistic upgrades and stats, this plasma-laced weapon gives ballistic focused faction what is otherwise an energy weapon.

Rapid Fire Cannon - Your basic non-artillery ballistic weapon. Short ranged but fired very fast, making it great for sustained damage.

Rapid Fire Cannon AP - Your basic non-artillery ballistic weapon. Short ranged but fired very fast, making it great for sustained damage. This variant uses AP rounds.

Shield Shredder - You want a hostile targets shields down? This shotgun-like weapon will not only does double damage against them, but is affected by ballistic upgrades.

*Shotgun* - Same as in the base game

*Shredder* - An AP Burster weapon which acts as an AOE weapon. Instead of bursting into other projectiles, to save performance this weapon simply has a detonation radius, making it like a flak
cannon.

Siege Asteroid - One of the four Siege-class weapons. This one launches a huge asteroid at a target, causing immense damage to planets and any ships which get in the way.

*Sniper* - Currently the same as in the base game.

Artillery Stormer - Only usable on Leviathan Class ships, this stormer has an even longer range than its normal variant.

Artillery Hyper Stormer - Only usable on Leviathan Class ships, this hypersonic stormer has an even longer range than its normal variant.

The three artillery weapons also have AP and HEAP variants.

---------

TL;DR
Are there any ballistic weapons you'd like me to try and create, or ones that are missing?
Yes, if I do get requests, I'll upload them separate before the main release so you can play with them as well.
Last edited by Rossinna-Sama on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Ciurrioc

Re: Alternate Ballistic Weapons suggestions?

Post by Ciurrioc » Fri May 06, 2016 12:33 am

I poked you about this months and months, maybe a couple of years ago about using the COL Cruiser Sections as Mini Siege Mounts, they fire smaller roids, cheaper/slower than Impactors (to draw a contrast)

Polarized Rounds? emp/disruptor version of Ballistics

Corrosive Rounds

Burrowers? I never got around to rigging Leech Rounds into something that hits a ship burrows into ships and Explode/do something.

Can Driver rounds Track? something something phased/energy coated round that fires super fast and homes in on targets regardless of firing orientation
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Fri May 06, 2016 4:51 am

Some kind of lightweight tracking round would be awesome. Does less damage, less impact, but has a much smaller deviation, or the ability to track small targets. Also, perhaps some weapons which work best when mounted in a larger weapon slot? Perhaps some other increase besides just ROF - Lower deviation, or a higher speed. Something to make it more worthwhile to trade down.

Another round I would like to see is something that does a small amount of shield damage, possibly in some kind of stormer mount. Does a tiny amount of shield damage, even to disruptors, (A charged round, perhaps?) but still does hull damage. It would still take time to hammer down a disruptor, but makes them not as hard of a counter. Might kinda break the point of using disruptors, though.

I feel like sniper cannons need a more defined purpose. Perhaps instead of high accuracy, low tracking, do high accuracy, high tracking? Make it a purpose-built weapon for blasting BRs and drones at range. Something to give it a more defined purpose. Perhaps as a slower ROF version of AP rounds?

I would also like to see more purpose for small mounts than just mounting PD later on. It'd be nice to have weapons that make it a worthy tradeoff.

I know my statements here are very general. I'll add more when I think of specifics.

the202

Post by the202 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:59 am

Super MAC Cannon-A large AM era rail cannon for siege mounts, the MAC does enormous damage at long range, capable of destroying a basic CA (Cruiser) in one hit, but has a very slow ROF and high power requirements.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Fri May 06, 2016 4:53 pm

That would be kind of awesome. Maybe even some kind of muon-style weapon, where it turns a physical projectile into energy to strike at long range with high accuracy? I'm imagining almost the style of the gauss cannon warthogs from Halo 2. Technically a 'physical' attack, but crosses the line back from ballistics into energy.

Another concept I think would be cool is a weapon from Star Ruler's Galactic Armory mod. It's a small weapon that propels tiny shaved particles of matter (Mass Effect style) and propels them to relatavistic velocities. It'd be a weapon with a small damage pattern, but very high accuracy and ROF.

Idea! Nano-rounds, which have an HEAP-like damage pattern - Narrow digging deep and then, instead of making a blast right there, it digs the deepest layer straight to the sides. It would synergize well with beam weapons.

Also, perhaps something that specifically damages crew? Good when paired with boarding.

I saw you mention flak cannons, by the way. Is that something we can expect to see in PH?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon May 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Just a quick update - I've suddenly found myself looking after three young kids, and as of tomorrow I won't have the internet apart from what I have on my phone.

I promise to work on this when I do return, or I can get the internet reconnected.

Sorry everyone. Life always gets in my way. But it is was this, or allowing them to go into foster care.

PS. posting here on a phone is quite hard. :?
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Mon May 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Take care Rossina! I hope everything works out for the best, and soon!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Back for roughly a week. Sometimes its really easy to forget what you've got until its gone - having a 27.5 inch monitor vs a tiny little phone to read things on... my eyes would explode if I had to do that for a living. And a laptop keyboard is far more annoying to type on when you've gotten used to cherry red keys.

Anyway.

I'm going to take a shot at all of the suggestions in this thread, and once done, post them all up in a zip for everyone's use. Can't promise all are possible, but I will certainly try.
I hate feeling like I'm viewed as unreliable, so I guess I'm saying that I'm committing myself.

I also know I'm viewed as an idiot, but meh.

---
Just three quick notes though, weapons which directly damage crew is partially possible - they basically are beam\projectile boarding pods. Which means while they will kill crew, they'll also wind up capturing the ship. Kinda like The Beast's beam? Never had the chance to play Cata. :?

The other one is regarding flak cannons - I was experimenting with a light, fast PD system which had an AOE effect. However I remember having issues with it, I think that the AOE effect was not impacting any other missiles but the one it directly hit - and since its supposed to be an inaccurate weapon which doesn't explode on impact, it wasn't doing anything against missiles as it never directly hit anything by design. So while it does work, its quite specialized for a PD weapon which may wind up confusing people too much when a PD system isn't doing anything against missiles even though it looks like it should be.

Lastly, in PH, mount size doesn't directly influence the firepower of whatever is mounted in there. Some of the small mount weapons which are designed for anti-ship work (Beamers) can do as much damage as a large mount, though the trade off is usually high energy consumption or nearly constant friendly fire due to a long beam duration. Small weapons also do not autofire against PD targets anymore due to this unless set to. (As technically most of the small mounts actually use a medium weapon profile so they don't fire at missiles unless set to PD by the player or by being a PD weapon.)

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Weapon_Package.zip

NOTES
This ZIP comes with my Project Hiver turrets.xml. This means that your stock weapons WILL act different than normal - namely with their tracking speed. In PH and this file as it controls it, the larger the turret, the slower it turns. You will not see a Super Heavy mount turn on a dime anymore.

These weapons *work*, but they are not fully tested to the degree that my other weapons are. I figured you'd want them to play with yourself instead of sitting in my "to be tested" list for a few months.

As with any weapon you may install, you can use them in your save games. HOWEVER if you delete the weapon and load the save game up, it will crash. If you want to remove a weapon but want to keep your save game, barring editing the savegame file, edit the weapon you don't want and change the flag <IsVisible>True</IsVisible> to <IsVisible>False</IsVisible>, this will make you and the AI unable to select this in the design screen. It won't delete it from the game, but any further designs will not be able to use it.

I've had to take some creative liberties from the base idea - sometimes it simply isn't viable, too powerful to be balance or the game can't do it.
Tech requirements and a few other things are open to tweaking\changing upon request.
They do not have string entries meaning they will use their file names instead of their real names. I can do nothing about this short of editing the locale file and sending it out as well, something I don't want to do unless needed.

Included:

Ciurrioc -

APH_LSEI_Asteroid_cannon: Uses a COL mount, fires a much weaker version of the seige asteroid than the full sized siege weaponry does. Requires seige tech, but not accelleration amplification. Uses Seige mechanics meaning it will not fire unless you tell it to, though this can be altered upon request to make it a more normal weapon.

APH_Bal_Polarized: Uses a heavy or very heavy (very heavy has 3 barrels) mount, fires a modified leech round which instead of draining a ships energy, simply disables it for roughly 2 seconds per impact. Ignores up to 4 layers of armor and does do some armor damage, but very little structure damage. Fires slower than most other weapons due to its potential. Requires Disruptor torpedo research.

APH_Can_Corrosive: Uses a twin barrel medium or triple barrel heavy mount. Fires what looks like an inertial cannon round (I just stole its appearance) but when it hits a target, it unleashes a corrosive cloud like the corrosive missile does. Fires quite slowly to make up for this, otherwise you'd have the screen covered with FPS-killing clouds.
*note* a true "DOT on impact" weapon won't function, it'll do its damage once then never again.

APH_Can_Corrosive_DOT: Not an actual weapon. This is a new version of the corrosive missile DOT which doesn't last nearly as long due to how to often the corrosive cannon above fires.

APH_Bal_Burrower: Uses a single barrel heavy or triple barrel very heavy mount. Fires a modified leech round which burrows into the hull (not shown sadly) of a target and has a very, very high chance of causing a critical hit and blowing a turret\weapon bank off the enemy ship. Explodes inside the enemy armor matrix if its got enough armor. Causes extra structural damage if the target has breached armor already.

APH_Bal_Guided: Uses a triple barrel heavy mount. Fires a guided HE projectile which will seek out hostile craft on its own if it doesn't run out of fuel first. Can fire without pointing at their intended target much like missiles typically can. Not terribly powerful on paper, but 100% accuracy is nothing to be ignored. Requires Sniper Cannon research.
*note* it can also be placed on spinal and strafe mounts for those which can fit heavy weapons. Guided weapons on smaller vessels like BRs are not to be ignored.

Talverin -

Already done this with the APH_Las_ThermalFlak weapon. It is a slow firing PD laser which has its bolts track its targets. I'll add this into the zip regardless.

PH has the Shotgun Shield Breaker which replaces the standard shield breaker. Then again PH has new balance on how shields work in general, but I'll include this one in the zip too.

APH_Bal_Sniper: Is now a guided munition which will track its target - has a far longer range than the other guided weapon, but fires slower and can only be placed on light mounts. Improved its ability to not get deflected by armor as compensation.

Can't make a crew-damaging weapon which doesn't actually capture their ships as well (as it'd act like a boarding pod, I think.). If that's actually okay with you, I can look into trying.

Not sure how to impliment the other suggestions. I don't think they are impossible, but I'd need more time to figure out how to actually accomplish what you are looking for.

The202 -

APH_Bal_MAC_Cannon: Siege only mount which fires an impactor round which uses some magical mumbo jumbo that I'm not going to explain right now as I just want to get these things made to cause IMMENSE damage to anything it hits - cruisers can be blown away in a single shot. Has the longest reload time in the game at 160 seconds without ballistic ROF research. Uses Siege mechanics, so you have to turn it on for it to fire.

Installation:
Back up the turrets.xml in your sots2 weapon folder.
Extract the provided zip directly into the sots2 weapon folder. Allow it to overwrite any files it wants - it should only want to overwrite the turrets.xml
For my install, it would be "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sword of the Stars II\assets\base\weapons".

That should be it. If you have problems or questions, let me know.

--------------

Why don't I just release all of my PH weapons?
Because I have altered a large number of weapon banks on the ship designs and the weapons themselves. If I uploaded my entire weapon catalog right now, most of it wouldn't work on the base game.

Any other weapons you're going to add soon?
A few more weapons for the LSEI line. Probably one of which will be a disintegration beam like what the VN has. How you like 'dem apples VN?
Possibly more guided munitions depending on feedback. I know from experience that they can outclass most other weapons when I had a guided laser which even the AI realized was horribly OP as it never missed.
Ballistic based plagues - not sure if this even works yet.
Crybaby missile - not sure if it is possible.
Finding something to do with the Gravity Torpedo and the two thumper weapons (all of which are currently disabled in PH.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ciurrioc

Re: Alternate Ballistic Weapons suggestions? (download now u

Post by Ciurrioc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:57 pm

Sexy, very nice, tanku.

I made Sundarts the other day, SG Atlantis inspired from the Drones weapons they have in the show

Uses the Pulse PD Projectile, HEAP Impact effects and TEMPEST turret model. I just wish it was possible to resize the projectiles. anyway the weapon needs Photon Torps and Microfusion Drives to use. still tinkering but the desire is to have a volley of low tracking rounds that deal nice damage and say nope to shields.

as for the FLAK weapons issue, how about Leap mines on Steroids that track missiles? or emit and invisible chain lightning that hits nearby ordinance

What I am trying to say is is it possible to use the Multihit aspects of Emitter weaps or that BAL weapon I can't remember the name of, but which explodes releasing shards of projectiles as a means to act as fake flak

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Trust me, Rossina, what you're doing is more an art than a science, considering the limitations you are under. Far from 'unreliable', instead, everything you can do is pretty awesome and an unexpected bonus. Remember, without you, we wouldn't have any of these at all... And I am pumped for those guided munitions. That sounds awesome. As far as dealing crew damage but also capturing? Mmmmno, offhand, that sounds rather unbalancing. What would be able to stop a fleet of ship-stealing laser DNs from wrecking fleets? That is a horrifying thought.

Edit: Will the altered weapons.xml disallow the use of SotS Reforged weapons? Do I have to run it on a clean install of the base game?

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:45 pm

Regarding the LOA in your smexy mod. hope I don't come off as dictating (HONEST NO TRY DIS) just spit balling ideas and things I've tried out.

about making loa Mission sections the "Core" I think that comes down too just editing the Crew Req for the Ship sections, I'll twiddle around with that concept personally and relay what I thinks about its.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:51 pm

The weapons work wonderfully. The burrowing gun is extreeeeemely effective, and makes a wonderful substitution for beam weapons when paired with mass drivers. Combination of the shallow and wide impact with the burrower's deep. It's really nice having a ballistic weapon with a high crit chance, instead of just having to bludgeon people to death. The tracking sniper is a ton of fun, especially when mass-mounted on a PD hull. I was able to kite with a few cruisers and strip off weapon mounts at range.

Still working on unlocking some of the other weapons, but I imagine it will be glorious when I do.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Talverin wrote:The weapons work wonderfully. The burrowing gun is extreeeeemely effective, and makes a wonderful substitution for beam weapons when paired with mass drivers. Combination of the shallow and wide impact with the burrower's deep. It's really nice having a ballistic weapon with a high crit chance, instead of just having to bludgeon people to death. The tracking sniper is a ton of fun, especially when mass-mounted on a PD hull. I was able to kite with a few cruisers and strip off weapon mounts at range.

Still working on unlocking some of the other weapons, but I imagine it will be glorious when I do.

Its good to see that the burrower is working properly. I did test it, but couldn't devote too much time to see its effectiveness. Was afraid it'd wind up doing nothing.

Talverin

Post by Talverin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, I don't have any proof it's working, per se. The firing animation is hard to catch, and there's no physical projectile that I have been able to see... But there are definitely a lot of dead space dolphins and they, at least to my eyes, appear to be dying faster than usual. Is there a way for me to check/confirm that the weapon is actually firing and dealing damage?

Also, I had an idea for a module or weapon. Essentially, when it effects a target, it increases the deviation of their weapons by a small amount. Fluff-wise, it'd be an ECM module of some kind, I imagine, but it reduces the effectiveness of point defense weapons. Well, all weapons, really, but with PD, even small amounts of deviation really matter.

Return to “Modding”