Unusual Missile and Tempest Muzzles

Moderator: Makail

Scottish Kiltz

Unusual Missile and Tempest Muzzles

Post by Scottish Kiltz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm

A note for modders that haven't noticed a peculiarity with Polaris, IOBM and Tempest Array barrel models already.

I've been doing some trialling and I've noted these mounts come in either 1, 2, or even 4 muzzles per mount. This isn't a bad thing as it often saves having lots of mounts. For instance, the Tarka Leviathan carries 16 IOBM's but only uses 4 mounts in 1 bank in the section file. Conversely, the Hiver Leviathan has 8 IOBM's, but uses 4 mounts in 2 banks each, thus making 8.

The bit I wanted to point out is this, each IOBM weapon file costs 35k based on 1 IOBM, and ignores whether the mount is 1, 2 or 4 IOBM's. In the above example, the Tarkas pay 140k for 16, and the Hivers 280k for 8. This imbalance also carries on to issues like power, crew etc.

The file name is misleading in most cases.

Similarly, I've noted that Tempest Arrays, (Medium and Heavy Mounts), range between 4, 6, 8 and 10 muzzles.

Apologies if my OCD has confused some of you, but I've not seen this mentioned anywhere on here and I like to see my ships pay for what they use fairly. Otherwise I hope this is of interest.

Scottish Kiltz

Re: Unusual Missile and Tempest Muzzles

Post by Scottish Kiltz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Small additional edit.

Human IOBM's barrel models' have 4 Muzzle's which would mean 4 for the price of 1 like the Tarkas above in the example, but...…

Something to note in the section files is the Barrel Overload line. This overwrites the weapon file. The humans use 'Barrel_Delay_Dummy_210' etc. These have only one muzzle (instead of the 4) but puts a launch delay on that node to allow for shutters to open or just to stagger the missile launches. The Human Leviathan has 8 IOBM's and when they launch they fire one after another rather than all at once.

I'm not entirely sure if the number denotes just the delay time for that missile or if it effects the launch angle as well. These 8 IOBM's don't all just go straight up, they each have odd angles.

Hope this helps people.

Return to “Modding”