Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Moderator: Makail

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Post by Resok » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm

One quick note about the above - the queued build order doesn't show up in the build queue lists but you'll see the ship production queue button highlighted as if you have a build order queued up in that system.
- Resok

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:06 pm

New release posted... not much AI enhancement done, but did change how grapplers work.

I wanted to have AI design Zuul ships with grapplers but the weapon selection logic isn't flexible like that. Per Rossinna's recommendation, I created new Grappler modules for Tarkas, Hiver, and Zuul and then, for Zuul, force the addition of at least one Grappler module if available.

They look pretty cool and I think add some nice lore specific designs to the game.

I haven't tested area of effect weapon deployment for AI... so I'm not sure these are enabled for combat by default (players have to turn them on).

Let me know what you think.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Update to today's release released :noid:

I fixed the Loa UI issues with mission assignments and fleet compositions. Loa fleets should now properly maintain their fleet composition after assigning it in a mission selection window. Huzzah! :amoc:

Edit:
By the way, I updated the techtree in one of the last couple of releases to help AI research Heavy Combat Lasers... I don't know why, but even in my Vanilla techtree the cost factor was maxed out for this tech. Anyone care to comment? I don't see it as a starting tech, so not sure why it was weighted like the other starting techs. Anyway, it was dropped down to match what's set for Lancers.

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:49 pm

Been a long time since I posted here, but I really wanted to show some appreciation for this fan-made patch!

It's awesome seeing people still working on this :D

P.S. Has anyone tried multiplayer with this patch?
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks, I hope you can get some enjoyment from it and, perhaps more importantly, share some feedback on areas that could be improved!

I'm also curious if multiplayer still works :awesome: I can make no guarantee that it will :|

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:37 am

Remnant wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:49 pm
P.S. Has anyone tried multiplayer with this patch?
willdieh wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm
I'm also curious if multiplayer still works :awesome: I can make no guarantee that it will :|
Saquenay and I played with the patch in multiplayer and didn't hit any issues, though we mostly fought against the AI to be honest. Haven't tested a heavy game with only multiplayer combat/engagements so far but from what we've played everything seems fine.
- Resok

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:21 pm

So... playing against Normal AI difficulty Zuul in 2 player Fight map... 134 turns and not a single offensive attack against me. I guess I'll have to fix that.

They also don't seem to be researching special projects, something I was always afraid of.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:04 pm

You're aware of the Zuul (and Loa) pathing bug right? Zuul suffer from it much more in many ways due to their very limited supply.

In normal gameplay unless I plan my node network very carefully I run into situations where I can't even traverse certain regions of space.
- Resok

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm

No, wasn't aware... care to elaborate? What's the bug and how does it affect mission assignment?

Thanks!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:29 pm

willdieh wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm
No, wasn't aware... care to elaborate? What's the bug and how does it affect mission assignment?

Thanks!
In essence this post describes it perfectly -

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=50062&p=515477
Resok wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:16 am
Right now it's counting the distance from Serenity -> Ymar -> Madyha -> Delta -> Theta (which is too far).

Knowing how it works currently though can help you work around it by planning your node routes with this in mind. If you had a route between Serenity and Delta for example - then most likely you'd be able to make it from Serenity -> Theta since the distance from Serenity -> Delta -> Theta is much less than the added distance from looping back around through Ymar and Madyha.
So if you're trying to bore a new node line to a system that is closer to a different system that has a valid line to it already, it'll try to path all the way back through the node network to get that that system first before attempting to find the proper path to the destination. This results in the target system showing no possible missions available to it, even though it's well within the direct travel range from the current system.

So say System A is the target (does not have a node line yet) is 8 LY from system B which is where your fleet is based at currently. Now there is also a system C that is part of your node network but following the lines is say 24 LY total travel from System B to System C, BUT is say 7 LY between system C and system A. This means that due to the travel time and distances involved the fleet doesn't have a total of 31 LY worth of travel time and supply, even though it has more than enough to say travel between system A and B directly (8 LY).

This can be worked around by building criss-cross node lines between systems to ensure that path between say system B and system C is much shorter, allowing you to have enough endurance to traverse over to the target system A (if distance between B and C is shorter, you're not adding the extra 24 LY of travel distance to the mission).
- Resok

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:50 pm

Basically the scenario I describe above results in no mission options being available when you right click on system A with a fleet based in system B.
- Resok

dwaide

Post by dwaide » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 pm

yeah so I've been hearing a lot of good things about this patch but I've never installed a mod b4. Would anyone mind walking a noob through it?

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 am

dwaide wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 pm
yeah so I've been hearing a lot of good things about this patch but I've never installed a mod b4. Would anyone mind walking a noob through it?
The patch contains two folders: /assets and /bin. You unzip the contents into your steam's SOTS 2 folder and select yes to all over-writing files.

Before you do that however, it might be wise to duplicate your original /assets and /bin folder (about 7GB) and rename them like "_original" just in case something goes wrong with a particular patch.

dwaide

Post by dwaide » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm

sqw82 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 am
dwaide wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 pm
The patch contains two folders: /assets and /bin. You unzip the contents into your steam's SOTS 2 folder and select yes to all over-writing files.

Before you do that however, it might be wise to duplicate your original /assets and /bin folder (about 7GB) and rename them like "_original" just in case something goes wrong with a particular patch.
I got it figured out; thx for your help :)

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:29 am

Hi. I'm playing a great game with this patch, turn 318 more or less.

All the IAs are still alive (I'm playing a 6 players map, no LOA). The IAs have now DN and very good techs. See the screenshot above, my Morrigi fleet having problems to destroy a Liir DN supply ship protected with a shield. That never happened before with vanilla.

I will attach the savegame if you want to take a look and see how good are doing all the IAs.
Last edited by Haplo_Patryn on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modding”