Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Moderator: Makail

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:03 am

I've spoken with willdieh and since some things are going on, he's offered to let me take over SoS. Honestly, I'm no coder so I'm not going to do much but fix a few things; if it gets confusing enough I'll have to take over the whole thing but the way I see it, he did all of the work, not me.

Anywho, working on an update. Might be a bit since I have to do the usual stability testing.

Features of the upcoming version (I'll just post it as its own zip - it'll only be the .dll file, nothing else.) include:

Hopefully a more aggressive strategic AI - Invasion missions take priority over Strike missions. May have to alter SoS's fleet template file for full compatibility but hopefully not.
Ability to get the 'We've Got Rock, Neil' achievement - some swapping around allows it to trigger from the same event that 'Shipyard Supervisor' does from designing and saving a ship. (This is the only solution I've found so far as it appears the actual unlock conditions are within the sots exe itself; please be aware that you won't be able to get 'Shipyard Supervisor' if you don't have it already.)

That'll be all for now; I'd like to change the default weapons for certain ships like Supply and Colonizer to use energy weapons and a few other things like that but will hold off unless I'm told that its a worthwhile change to do - SoS is not VAE.

I'll look into the rest of the comments in this thread but can't promise much; the last time I used any kind of coding in this manner was close to sixteen years ago.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Revan143

Post by Revan143 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:30 am

I've just installed this mod and I'm getting a bug on start up. I've tried several clean installations but I'm still getting the crash. I've added the log file to my post

Based on the error message I think it's something to do with the Gravboat entry, but I don't know enough about modding to look into it further. I've attached the log file.

Thanks for all your effort in making these mods!
log-20190425112445.rar

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:39 am

Sure looks like you're having trouble with the Gravboat template entry. The only thing I can think of is that you haven't installed the patched sots2_managed.dll file.

There was one version I posted that had the wrong file name for the dll, maybe you grabbed that one? Try re-downloading the patch and re-applying it to be sure. It should overwrite the sots2_managed.dll when you copy the folders over your installation.

Revan143

Post by Revan143 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 am

Thanks,

I'll give it a shot.

Edit - It worked. Thanks a bunch!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:41 am

Alright - I've tested it to the point where I believe it is fully stable.

Two versions are available; they are the same barring achievements.

-----------
SoS Update - RS - V1 29/4/2019

Swapped Shipyard Supervisor requirements with We got Rock, Neil achievement - Design and save a ship design to unlock.
Swapped Steel Pusher requirements with Dr Sleepless achievement - Actually build a ship to completion to unlock.

AI chances of making new designs of all non-combat ships increased.
AI chances of making new designs of supply and colony ships decreased.
AI will now update and make new Gravboat designs if playing Morrigi.
AI no longer has defense fleets over every system (barring homeworld) it owns ONLY if it is in the expanding phase. It will build and place defense fleets in all other phases.
AI has 25% more budget allocated towards building new ships and fleets.
Combat AI focuses on planetary attack capable craft if they own the system (SoS default.)
-----------

The defense fleet change is experimental as it allows the AI to focus more on expanding then defending early on; it may make them weaker to an all out early game attack but they'll respond with aggression of their own soon enough.

Anyway:
SoS_patch_1.zip
SoS_patch_1_Achievements.zip
Pick the version you want and extract it directly into the "Sword of the Stars II\bin\x86" folder and allow it to overwrite the file, or manually extract it elsewhere and replace the file.

Both versions are exactly the same; the one marked with achievements though allows you to gain an otherwise impossible to get achievement alongside one which takes ages to get. If you don't want them or already have them somehow, download the one that doesn't say 'achievements' as it leaves achievements alone.

For new installs - Download SoS from the OP (Opening Post) and then download my little patch.
Last edited by Rossinna-Sama on Wed May 01, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Wow, just dropped back in to check things out on the Kerb forums and was super excited to see this! Thanks everyone involved. SOTS2 is still my favourite game of all time and being able to go back and try it with some new changes like this is amazing!

Question to modders out there, is there any way to make some of the non functioning weapons work? For example I've tried to use the tractor beam and it currently does not appear to do anything at all. I tried messing around with the weapon data files but couldn't figure it out (hit the limits of self taught from internet research lol) Not sure if the inertial cannons fall into the same category, the Tractor beam I figured should be negating ship speed based off the difference between the wielder and target, I theorize, but they sure are not having any noticable effect (even on drones).

Thanks again for offering this and letting me dive back in :)

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks for the updates Rossinna! Wish there was a way you could post them on the first page but I couldn't find any way to delegate editing rights to any of those posts :cry:
I'll go ahead and update the main file with your version.

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for your work, guys.

A question, only for clarification: we have to download the file in the first page only?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:40 am

Treliant wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm
Wow, just dropped back in to check things out on the Kerb forums and was super excited to see this! Thanks everyone involved. SOTS2 is still my favourite game of all time and being able to go back and try it with some new changes like this is amazing!

Question to modders out there, is there any way to make some of the non functioning weapons work? For example I've tried to use the tractor beam and it currently does not appear to do anything at all. I tried messing around with the weapon data files but couldn't figure it out (hit the limits of self taught from internet research lol) Not sure if the inertial cannons fall into the same category, the Tractor beam I figured should be negating ship speed based off the difference between the wielder and target, I theorize, but they sure are not having any noticable effect (even on drones).

Thanks again for offering this and letting me dive back in :)
Tractor beams, there's nothing in the coding which even has a similar function and adding it isn't possible. As for Inertial, well, I can test to see if it is actually working; I believe it is but its effect is very small. If I find some time, I'll do some testing to see if Inertial is working and if it is, I may be able to also make a pseudo-tractor beam.

If there's any other weapons or things you'd like me to take a look at, feel free to let me know.
willdieh wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:30 pm
Thanks for the updates Rossinna! Wish there was a way you could post them on the first page but I couldn't find any way to delegate editing rights to any of those posts :cry:
I'll go ahead and update the main file with your version.
I think the only way would be if I had moderator status, but that's probably not going to happen. Once I'm more done with PH, I'll work on getting a more permanent upload location so I don't have to use the forum attachment system. Have been considering Github, but not sure as of yet. Not in any rush.
Haplo_Patryn wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:29 am
Thanks for your work, guys.

A question, only for clarification: we have to download the file in the first page only?
That should be the case if Willdieh updated the OP which it seems he did. You can check to see when the file was last modified and if it says the 29th of the 4th, then its the updated variant.

huiron

Post by huiron » Sun May 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks so much for doing this. SOTS2 was a favorite of mine, and only the limited AI made me stop playing.
I really hope multiplayer is also working, will test with a mate when I see him next time.

@Kerberos: Please send the 2 developers the biggest gift baskets that can fit in a lorry. They deserve it.

mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by mango » Thu May 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Its nice of you both to try to fix it.

I thought it was worth a try to play it. I am starting a game with all races to see how they work so turn times are quite long, over a minute so far.

By the way FYI I noticed a lot of fleets are called something like "DEFAULT_SURVEY_FLEET" and dont have an in lore name.

Also I was wondering what has happened to the planet manager. Maybe I am confusing it with SotS1 but I thought SotS2 had a fairly effective planet manager in the empire section. Is that modded out now or was it always like this in the little window. Its been a while since I played 2. Perhaps I am misremembering the SotS1 manager. :googly:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri May 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Huiron...that gift basket should come from Paradox. We have not and will not receive a single penny for this project other than its initial production budget.

alekssandros

Post by alekssandros » Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am

TY!!!!! AFTER 1000 YEARS!!!!!! I'm now istalling SOTSII to play all weekend!!!!!!

Thank you for the patch and to those of KERB who were posting arts from SOTS in facebook :D

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat May 18, 2019 12:42 am

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the facebook posts too!

This patch won't make the game perfect by any means, as there's still a lot of work to be done, but hope it's an improvement for you!

alekssandros

Post by alekssandros » Sun May 19, 2019 1:16 am

willdieh wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:42 am
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the facebook posts too!

This patch won't make the game perfect by any means, as there's still a lot of work to be done, but hope it's an improvement for you!
Do u need or is there some place to post bugs/CTD?

Return to “Modding”