Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Moderator: Makail

Slashman

Re: Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Post by Slashman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Look 6 messages up in the thread. I can't edit the original post because I didn't make it.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:53 am

Damn. It's was a good effort on behalf of OP. =(

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 am

The link to the patch is there, just scroll up in the thread.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:55 am

Took me long enough, had other things interrupt as usual. My google drive is up and running and the SOTS2 stuff is public albeit not editable without asking me for access permission.

As of right now, SoS is uploaded, the 32 Million Color mod V5 and a single starmap (a variant of the Disk map made to be even smaller).

Can all be found at my google drive if its all working properly.
Will make a new thread once I've gotten some other stuff set up and uploaded. Let me know if there's any issues. Will add a link in my signature once I can confirm its all working.

For the record, the V5 Color mod is the same as the older versions however it has numerous tweaks in it due to PH existing.
V5 also comes stock with the "Neon Liir" for the Liir DLC skin and has the "Diplomatic" skin for the Loa. It does not include PH's texture changes.

The following were taken in PH, but the map is accurate.

Tiny Disk

Diplomatic Loa - The gold is locked to that color.

Neon Liir
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 am

Hey, thnx so much, iw as just about to start a new game but i have to reinstall sots and the thought of not having your colors mod is down right terrifying. :) Whish you tons of good energy !

Zloth

Post by Zloth » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 am

Any chance this could get posted to ModDB or Nexus or some such? Google drives are nice but often need to get used for other things eventually.

solops

Post by solops » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Fantastic! I love this game and this work is really appreciated. I will spread the good news.

solops

Post by solops » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Many, many thanks to the fan patch developers. I am diving back into this wonderful, beautiful game, which is still at the cutting edge of space 4x in so many ways.

And Mecron, Castewarkp & Crew should take a breath and a bow for bringing SoTS1 & 2 to us. They are achievements to be proud of. You have brought joy to many people all over the world. Thanks.

Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 am

Wow, its already more than half a year ago the OP was created! I wish I had known earlier!
It was via @solops thread on a different forum (Grogheads) that my attention was brought here.

Glad to see the project has been salvaged and while I can totally understand getting burned out I sincerely hope @willdieh is considering picking up the project again.
Its obvious from this thread that without a doubt the still is much interest in SotS 2 and perhaps if we all make an effort to shout out this project exist we might reinspire willdieh, perhaps with bundled help from others, to keep working at the game’s fan patch!

Still, its also very important to look after oneself. I hope you are all in a good spot.

Cheers!

Glabrezu

Post by Glabrezu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Does this mod change the ripper weapon? I can't check right now.
Basically the ripper weapon cost is 200, the stormer weapon has a cost of 1700.
The ripper should cost more, I think the 200 is missing a 0.
If the ripper did not get changed, then it might be an oversight of the base game.
I found it when I was having a nosey through the weapon files.

Some other observations that may be helpful (maybe someone can explain these - think oversights, but maybe they are as intended?):

I also noted in the standard game (and SoS) the Blast Storm Missile has a 12k range for short/medium/long/planet attack ranges, the s/m/l have different damage and penetration (but same range)... how does that work? I am thinking of changing it to 8/10/12/12k ranges, will that have any negative effect?

Ranges for Mirv IOBM seem out of whack too 1k/15k/25/25, i think its meant to be 10k/15/25/25

Photonic Torpedo has a mass of 5 most other volley torpedos have 50 (gluonic, tracking photonic, mesonic)

Fusion Burst Ammo and AM Burst ammo is strange to me, (Fusion burst torpedo and AM burst torpedo both have detonation ranges of 1000)
Weapon PD Rng/dam EFF rng/dam Max rng/dam
Fusion Burst Ammo 800/13 500/23 300/37
AM Burst Ammo 800/23 300/36 1000/34

I will add more if i find anything i think is strange, I may be wrong though.

PS. I have never played the game to notice this before, but I just noticed because it is Halloween time my planets have Halloween pumpkin faces :lol:

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 am

Glabrezu wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 pm
Does this mod change the ripper weapon? I can't check right now.
Basically the ripper weapon cost is 200, the stormer weapon has a cost of 1700.
The ripper should cost more, I think the 200 is missing a 0.
If the ripper did not get changed, then it might be an oversight of the base game.
I found it when I was having a nosey through the weapon files.

Some other observations that may be helpful (maybe someone can explain these - think oversights, but maybe they are as intended?):

I also noted in the standard game (and SoS) the Blast Storm Missile has a 12k range for short/medium/long/planet attack ranges, the s/m/l have different damage and penetration (but same range)... how does that work? I am thinking of changing it to 8/10/12/12k ranges, will that have any negative effect?

Ranges for Mirv IOBM seem out of whack too 1k/15k/25/25, i think its meant to be 10k/15/25/25

Photonic Torpedo has a mass of 5 most other volley torpedos have 50 (gluonic, tracking photonic, mesonic)

Fusion Burst Ammo and AM Burst ammo is strange to me, (Fusion burst torpedo and AM burst torpedo both have detonation ranges of 1000)
Weapon PD Rng/dam EFF rng/dam Max rng/dam
Fusion Burst Ammo 800/13 500/23 300/37
AM Burst Ammo 800/23 300/36 1000/34

I will add more if i find anything i think is strange, I may be wrong though.

PS. I have never played the game to notice this before, but I just noticed because it is Halloween time my planets have Halloween pumpkin faces :lol:
SoS was built on the older VAE mod though SoS tries to stick closer to Vanilla so certain things like this snuck through. Since Willdeih isn't here, can't say for sure though. If there's anything you'd like for me to investigate for the next version, let me know.

Ripper was an oversight in the base game, its now fixed for next version.
Blast storm, nice catch there. Effective Range\Damage takes priority over the other two if they are identical (according to the code), but I've fixed it for next version.
Not sure as to Willdeih's plan for Photons, so have changed it to 50 Mass but not entirely sure that's the correct move. As its the only change that has happened to the photon torps, delete the file if the mass increase becomes problematic.
I've gone over the Burst Ammo and Burst Torpedoes, and have redone them to be more inline with one another.

Code: Select all

SoS Update - RS - V2 10/31/2019

Ripper - Increased cost from 200 to 2000
Ripper - Added Brawler tag
Blast Storm - Changed point blank, effective and max ranges so they are not all the same amount.

Fusion Burst Ammo - Rebalanced damage and range; Damage increases with distance.
Antimatter Burst Ammo - Aligned statistics with Fusion Burst Ammo. Range, Torpedo health and Damage increased over Fusion version.
Antimatter Burst Ammo - Assigned Antimatter sound effects instead of using Fusion sound effects.
Antimatter Burst Ammo - Increased Solution Tolerance to 180 from 90.

Antimatter Burst Torpedo - Aligned statistics with Fusion Burst Torpedo. Range, Torpedo and damage increased over Fusion version.
Antimatter Burst Torpedo - Assigned Antimatter sound effects instead of using Fusion sound effects.
Antimatter Burst Torpedo - Cost increased from 25000 to 35000 to ensure it isn't the same price as the Fusion version.

AI can now properly assign research goals and priorities to Shields, Rider and Cybernetic research trees instead of randomly blundering into them.
Ships using 'flyby' combat mode have more variance in how close and how far they are willing to pass their targets by. So far, this only impacts Solforce and sometimes the AI itself.
AI aggression and willingness to use its strike and invasion fleets increased yet again, hopefully this time it works as advertised.
AI has initial support for Interdiction mission but won't actually assign or build fleets for it yet (Interdiction is a WIP for me.)
AI is now more willing to engage in prolonged invasions of the same system
AI invasion ships can depending on the tactical situation split into multiple 'task forces' in order to assault multiple planets at the same time. Doesn't always do it however.
AI research spending readjusted so the max they can put towards it is 75% of their budget instead of 90%. 90% was not allowing enough of a surplus to afford PH Leviathans and the more fully-upgraded DNs.
Should be a release 'soonish', once I've had time to ensure stability as usual.
PS. For those wondering, the PH economy changes are not included in this version, hence the extra time taken to try and ensure the AI can handle trade since PH removes that.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 am

Great work Rossinna! I'm suspending my next game until it gets here. Take your time though.

Glabrezu

Post by Glabrezu » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:11 pm

@Rossinna Nice work. As Slashman says, don't burn yourself out :)

tyee

Post by tyee » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:36 am

Wow! An update for this patch is in the works? I honestly thought work on this had ended. This is great to hear!

This patch has brought me back to a game I loved. Since patching SOTS2, I have spent over 200 hours getting back into this title. It's so much better now, that I've moved on from SOTS completely.

Many thanks to Rossinna and Willdieh!

Glabrezu

Post by Glabrezu » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 am

Eh... with no attachments allowed anymore... where will we get the updates :)
Who is going to be the star and upload this when it updates somewhere?

Aslo thanks to both Rossinna-Sama and Willdeh for their work.

Return to “Modding”