Crashing on Next Turn - Modding Troubles

Moderator: Makail

Erebus Alpha

Crashing on Next Turn - Modding Troubles

Post by Erebus Alpha » Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 pm

So far, most of my modding endeavors have resulted in really stable games, with only brief and inconsistent crashes. The kind that happen at random, but when you close and relaunch the game, it works just fine. I've done 600+ turn games like this.

However, now I have a consistent and recurring crash. I'm at turn 98, and every time that I attempt to go to turn 99, it crashes.

This looks like the AI is having trouble deciding which weapon to use on a ship. Which is entirely possible, given that my mod includes a whole slew of changes to weapons. I've significantly altered weapon balance & functionality in a lot of cases.

One of the things I did recently (fresh game, from turn 1) was remove weapon techs that are now redundant, unnecessary, and have no real function. For example, point defense phasers are no longer researchable, because the basic phaser is now a small instead of medium weapon, and does a pretty good job at PD. The weapon still exists in the weapons folder, because I know removing it would also break von neumann probes.

The log file cannot fit in the forum's character limit, so here's a pastebin link: https://pastebin.com/gBAZxTS7

Now, given my limited expertise modding, it looks like the log is throwing a huge multitude of errors. I suspect that the game is crashing because of just one of them - because I find it unlikely that a thousand things randomly decided to malfunction at turn 99, despite working fine for 98 other turns. Or perhaps the multitude of errors is a failure-cascade from just one primary cause.

Either way, I have no idea what I should do. How do I go about interpreting this log data?

willdieh

Re: Crashing on Next Turn - Modding Troubles

Post by willdieh » Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm

From a cursory glance at the error dump, looks like you're running into a Slaver random and the AI is trying to assign weapons to the encounter. My guess is that you've modified something that the Slaver faction requires for their ship designs... It's gone now (or changed) and thus the ship designer is failing.

Erebus Alpha

Post by Erebus Alpha » Tue May 07, 2019 6:30 am

Do slavers research techs? I thought their weapon loadouts were perfectly fixed.

What do the slavers require for their ships? It has been a long, long, long time since I fought them.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm

They don't research, but their ship sections are probably pre-defined to use some technologies... You can look through their faction folder and check it out.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 am

According to my vanilla Multiplayer install, slavers use the following weapons:

Bal_Flechette
Bal_Guass_PD
Bal_HEAP_Heavy_Driver
Bal_HEAP_Mass_Driver
Bal_HEAP_Guass_Driver
Bal_Sniper
AssaultShuttleDisk

If you've changed these in any way or removed them, you may need to either need to check the mount assignments on them or assign the slavers to use different weapons.

To do this, go into each section file for the Slavers and edit\add in:
<DefaultWeapon>insert your weapon name here without the .weapon tag</DefaultWeapon>
In each weapon bank. Keep in mind that while they don't have to follow tech restrictions, they do follow mount restrictions. Can't shove a PD weapon on a heavy mount for example.

Example:

Sword of the Stars II\assets\base\factions\slavers\sections\br_slavedisk.section
<Bank>
<Id>bd173d05-ac21-4694-bcd6-6b2bf64d4c90</Id>
<TurretSize>Medium</TurretSize>
<TurretClass>Standard</TurretClass>
<WeaponGroup>
</WeaponGroup>
<DefaultWeapon>Bem_Phaser</DefaultWeapon>
<FrameX>0</FrameX>
<FrameY>0</FrameY>
<Mounts>
<Mount>
<NodeName>turret_medium_01</NodeName>
<TurretOverload>
</TurretOverload>
<BarrelOverload>
</BarrelOverload>
<BaseOverload>
</BaseOverload>
<YawMin>-75</YawMin>
<YawMax>75</YawMax>
<PitchMin>-5</PitchMin>
<PitchMax>90</PitchMax>
<SectionFireAnimation>
</SectionFireAnimation>
<SectionReloadAnimation>
</SectionReloadAnimation>
</Mount>
</Mounts>
</Bank>

Would result in that bank using a Phaser Beam.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Erebus Alpha

Post by Erebus Alpha » Sat May 11, 2019 4:28 am

So, I reset everything back to retail defaults - which I would think would make all the weapons work exactly as they did in retail. But it still crashed every time, when going to turn 99.

I did an uninstall and reinstall, to see if I could replicate the error on an unmodded game. Set random encounter chance to 200%.

:shock: And it gives the same crash. 27 turns in.

Are slaver encounters broken for anyone else? I usually play the game at 0% encounter chance, so I have no idea how long this could have been going on.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sat May 11, 2019 6:50 am

Did you do a clean uninstall? Perhaps some files were not removed. As for the encounter, personally I've never had slavers crash unless it was a self-made mod error.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Return to “Modding”