A Simple Guide to reporting bugs (and helpful files)

Post any bumps you find on the road to galactic domination.

Moderators: Makail, Erinys, ddub

Alpha Centauri

A Simple Guide to reporting bugs (and helpful files)

Post by Alpha Centauri » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Is there someone who might be willing to do a short how-to for bug reports?

It might save Kerberos some time if there was a simple guide showing the file-paths for:
save games
log files
mars dump

And a quick description of what should be included in a bug report.

Better would be to write a quick mini-app that collected all of this automatically!

I assume Kerberos doesn't have the time, and even just a good post telling folks what to do could be stickied in the support forum as an 80/20 solution. 8)

EDIT: I know I'm being a jerk by not just doing this myself. I may yet do so - but I cannot for next couple days. Over the weekend I probably can - depending on a few other commitments :P

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Fellow Forumites

Post by Nspace » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't have time ATM to do a nice writeup of what should be included in a bug report, but I've got a nice list of file paths for Prerequisites, Logs and Saves:

Main SotS 2 folder - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/

Prerequisites:
Direct X - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/directx/DXSETUP.exe
Visual C (x86) - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/msvc2010sp1/vcredist_x86.exe
Visual C (x64) - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/msvc2010sp1/vcredist_x64.exe
.net 4 - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/netfx4cp/dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

Logs and Saves:
Profile - Users/*username*/Saved Games/Sword of the Stars II/*profilename*.xml
Hotkeys - Users/*username*/Saved Games/Sword of the Stars II/*profilename*.keys
Saved Game location - Users/*username*/Saved Games/Sword of the Stars II/Saved Games/*profilename*/
Log location - Users/*username*/AppData/Local/Sword of the Stars II/log/
Log names -
  • log-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt
  • log-script-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt
  • log-script-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX_localgame.db
  • log-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt.dmp
Last edited by Nspace on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Finite75

Post by Finite75 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I would find brief guide useful as there had been a few bugs/ctd's I had
wanted to post but didn't know where to find the needed log, so quickly
gave up the thought at the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:53 pm

excellent post alpha c!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm

One of the easiest ways to get to the saved games:

Copy and paste into run line to open your saved games folder -

Code: Select all

%userprofile%\Saved Games\Sword of the Stars II

Copy and paste into run line to open your logs folder -

Code: Select all

%localappdata%\Sword of the Stars II\log

-Resok

Agent.nihilist

Post by Agent.nihilist » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:19 am

Shouldn't using %userprofile% work? Pretty sure command shell parses those types of location properly.
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:

Agent.nihilist

Post by Agent.nihilist » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am

ahh, that would make since. n that case you should be able to do it with MAXLAD:n: in addition to restricting the robocopy to the savegames filetype. of course that will get you every save from that day, but its better than everything.
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:

tyranny12

Post by tyranny12 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 am

I wrote my own one of these a few days back. I just have it copy and zip the logs, then open the zip file in one window and my saved game directory in the other. Then I can choose which one I put in.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I think I might slap something together... I (think) I know how to parse files (and proving such will help my side project)

I should be able to take advantage of if the user has 7zip installed and create a nice easy package on the desktop for uploading.
*Maybe* even a GUI if the save that is at issue isn't the most recent...
btw, most recent save is also listed inside the profile, you get get the default profile from %localappdata%\Sword of the Stars II\settings\settings.xml (if anyone else takes a stab at this)

Question - is it better to upload the logs (.txt files) separate from or with the save?
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

castewarkp
Site Admin

Re: A Simple Guide to reporting bugs (and helpful files)

Post by castewarkp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

We don't - and as some people have encountered issues that may be related to file size limitations on the boards, we encourage it.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Instructions:
Run this as soon as sots2 crashes to automatically collect log files and your most recent save (the save most likely to lead to a crash). If 7zip is installed it will also automatically compress your logs into a package ready for upload using very high compression. If 7zip is not installed or not found the files will be placed into a folder named logs, ready for you to compress them yourself for upload.

By default this grabs all .txt, .db, and .dmp log files as well as your most recent save. This will also fetch the latest .mdmp file from the game's executable path if it and the log file are within 1 minute of each other in age. If there is a problem I tried to include somewhat helpful error text but I haven't tested every path. NOTE that this file will not delete any files (instead it fails out), with one exception, it can generate a temp file (in your temp folder) and this it will delete that when it's done with it.

Downloads
Version 5 (most recent) (Source code) (Currently missing some helpful text re .mdmp files, otherwise functional)
Version 4 (doesn't grab .mdmp files) (Source code)
Version 3
Version 2 (doesn't grab .dmp files)
Version 1 (least likely to have errors, doesn't grab .dmp files, no option support)

Options (set these by creating a shortcut to the exe and appending one or more of these onto the end of the target line)
v2+
/? - Displays a list of options supported and what they do (briefly)
/no7zip - Forces folder mode (acts as if 7zip not installed)
/file= - after the = sign (no spaces) sets the file/folder name, ex /file=lg will store into a file named lg.7z (or a folder named lg)
v3+
/i - interactive mode - on top of grabbing the logs and most recent save, will also include save files that you specify.
/old7z - 1 block per file 7zip mode, lower compression (especially if including multiple saves).
v4+
/ts - Includes time stamp on generated folder/file. Quite handy to add to a shortcut. Was almost made a default turned on feature.
v5+
/dg - Forces inclusion of the latest .mdmp file even if the log/dump are too far apart for normal fetching.
/ds - Forces the exclusion of the .mdmp file even if it would be collected automatically.

Release History:
Version 5:
One major bugfix. Time stamps are now only appended to the file name if requested, the /ts argument was being ignored/assumed on.
Addition of automated collection of .mdmp file if it and the log.txt file are within 1 minute of each other.

Version 4:
Some bug fixes (minor)
Addition of included date/time stamp as an option, appended to file name.
Source release.

Version 3 - new features:
Solid Archive support (better compression)
Multi-save picking (see options)
Grabs new log information added by sots2 update 20916b

NOTE: versions older than 3 won't grab all the logs. (.dmp file) :oops:
Version 2 -
7zip support (1 block per file)
Significant rewrite with better error message output.
Supports options

Version 1-
Initial release, copies logs and most recent save into a folder named logs

Future:
There are no planned additional features.

Open Questions: (Related to things I've seen come up in the Technical Support Forum)
1 - Should I add in automatic generation and inclusion of dxdiag reports? Optional enabled rather than optional disabled?
2 - Should I take a stab at detecting mods? It won't be terribly sophisticated but I've observed some things about the game as it is from Steam that could be used to generate a mini report about what files may have been modified.
NOTE: I'd rather not clutter this board/thread with such a discussion so PM is good.
Last edited by Profound_Darkness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Borzol

Post by Borzol » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Nspace wrote:I don't have time ATM to do a nice writeup of what should be included in a bug report, but I've got a nice list of file paths for Prerequisites, Logs and Saves:

Main SotS 2 folder - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/

Prerequisites:
Direct X - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/directx/DXSETUP.exe
Visual C (x86) - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/msvc2010sp1/vcredist_x86.exe
Visual C (x64) - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/msvc2010sp1/vcredist_x64.exe
.net 4 - Steam/steamapps/common/sword of the stars ii/netfx4cp/dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

Logs and Saves:
Profile - Users/*username*/Saved Games/*profilename*.xml
Saved Game location - Users/*username*/Saved Games/Sword of the Stars II/Saved Games/*profilename*/
Log location - Users/*username*/AppData/Local/Sword of the Stars II/log/
Log names -
  • log-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt
  • log-script-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.txt
  • log-script-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX_localgame.db

Thank you for making this post Nspace. Could you also add the directory where the dmp files are when Sword of the Stars 2 crashes and edit into the post you made on page 1? It is the one last thing that needs to be add to a already helpful post. Thank you Nspace.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Your welcome. And I will add the dmp files to the list, just as soon as I figure out where they are. :) If you happen to know, tell me and I'll add that to the second post.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Nspace wrote:Your welcome. And I will add the dmp files to the list, just as soon as I figure out where they are. :) If you happen to know, tell me and I'll add that to the second post.

They're dropped to the same location as the logs -

Log location - %localappdata%\Sword of the Stars II\log

-Resok

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:33 pm

OK. I've added the information. :)

Return to “Technical Support”