HAVE RANDOM CTD's? PLEASE READ

Post any bumps you find on the road to galactic domination.

Moderators: Makail, Erinys, ddub

ddub
Kerberos

HAVE RANDOM CTD's? PLEASE READ

Post by ddub » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi for all who have been getting the random CTDs via the graphics drivers.
I would like to list all of the data and info in 1 topic to help organize the data, to help find any common links between people with the issue.

Please upload your system specs, what windows version you are using, and
Please try updating your graphics cards.
Does anyone ever notice their graphics card overheating (using a program to determine GPU temperature)?
How long, approx, did you play before the ctd?

Looking around, there have been other games that have been running into a very similar (at least sounding) issue.

Thanks,

If you have, or think you have, the same issue as the below, please post your info (if it is not the same, I'll just delete it to keep the valid stuff here).
Graphics Card CTD bug reports
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=48181
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=48180
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=48016
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=48012

DocOct

Re: HAVE RANDOM CTD's? PLEASE READ

Post by DocOct » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Ddub,

I had a thread where we discussed this issue as well.

My system specs:

Custom-built, AMD FX-4100 based box with generic (Sparkle) AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series Video Card
Running Windows 7, SP1

Updated with latest AMD drivers 3 weeks ago (when you suggested doing that in prev. thread).

I am still seeing random crashes, slightly less frequently since I updated the graphics driver but still frequently enough to be completely irritating. I continue to have to save multiple times within a turn so that I am not always re-doing mission assignments, etc.

Crashes occur sometimes within minutes of starting SOTS II, sometimes hrs - there does not seem to be a discernible pattern.

I do some mild overclocking of the CPU (not GPU) so I always install extra case fans as well as a non-stock CPU (air) cooler.

Currently the CPU is running at 38C (idle) going to 58C under load (while playing SOTS II it runs at ~54C)
The GPU temp. is 48-49C at idle and seems to be stable at 65C while running SOTS II.

The next time(s) that it crashes I will see if there is any associated temp spikes and let you know if I see one.

Thnx for yr continued looking into this,
DO

ddub
Kerberos

Post by ddub » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 pm

I do recall your posts as well, I just didnt look back far enough to obtain the links.

In other games (searching through the net), people were saying that their GPU would crash once it hit around 74C (common values were 74+ when other games have crash in my continued research).

Thanks for the info.

case250

Post by case250 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

I have so many crashes I don't think it is accurate to call them random. I do not get to really play the game at all just observe a few things then CTD. Usually I can reinstall my graphics driver and that will allow me to launch the game again but soon another crash and after that it will not launch again at all. Love the game (what I have got to experience of it).
I have Win 7 64bit
Intel core I7-2600k processor
8GB Ram
nvidia gtx 570 gpu

Man I hope this gets fixed.

DocOct

Post by DocOct » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Just to update ...

I went into the box running SOTS II and re-positioned some cabling.
The GPU is now actually running a bit cooler while in SOTS II - in the 60-62C range.

I am still seeing the same frequency of CTDs.
I have not seen any temp. spikes associated with their occurrence (GPU or CPU).
In fact, as I stated before, sometimes they will occur in the 1st minute or so of a SOTS II session, with a machine that was just turned on and temps well below their max

For me it is not a gamestopper but it is irritating and detracts from the overall enjoyment of the game.
Thanx for looking into this - DO

ddub
Kerberos

Post by ddub » Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 am

Try lower the graphics settings (more so just to rule out the graphics card).
Uncheck in the options menu from the launcher (may not have to drop all of these, but if they are all unchecked and it still crashes, its an update with the graphics driver and not something in SOTS2):
- antialiasing
- bloom
- refraction
- focal blur
- ambient occlusion
- decals
and lower the texture quality.

Thanks,

Highwayman

Post by Highwayman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Just bought the game tonight, barely played 10mins so far and had 3 CTD in different parts of the game, even when just setting up the map before launch :shock:

I have 3 crash dump files attached.

PC specs:
i7 870 Quad CPU (not overclocked or running hot)
Gainward GTX680 4gb (not overclocked or running hot)
Windows 7 X64 Sp1 Ultimate ed. all updates installed.
Asus P7P55LX & 8gb DDR3 1600
Corsair 750TX2 PSU
Nvidia driver 320.18
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ddub
Kerberos

Post by ddub » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Please include the .dmp files located along with the log files.
It may help to lower graphic settings (a tmp work around as we are fixing the situation).

Thanks,

jimr312

Post by jimr312 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 am

I too am experiencing random crashes. I haven't played for several months and had no problems then. I tried to play a couple of days ago and have had no luck. Thinking maybe it was because I was trying to play an old saved game, I tried to create a new game, no luck. I can crash on start up screen or in game. Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when. I haven't been able to keep the game up and running any longer than ~ 5 minutes.

Things I have tried:
verified game cache
uninstall/renistall
tried nvidia drivers 320.18 and 314.07
turned off all graphics options in the options menu

Because it was asked for in an earlier post, my GPU temperature has never been higher than 41C at the time of a crash.

Here are the latest files
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

geratjax1

Post by geratjax1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm also experiencing random crashes when i enter the research screen and the ship design screen. I have had the game for months but a few month ago it stop working and just crashes when i open the research and ship design. I have updated my drivers and put my game settings to low along with uninstalling and installing my game. But it still crashes every time i try.

Admiral Archimedes

Post by Admiral Archimedes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Greetings:

Just picked up this game in a bundle, and it seems to be a fantastic, and really enjoyable game, if I could get passed the completely random crashes... I've had one at the menu screen 3 seconds in, and one at the game set up screen 2 minutes in, and myriad other places, all at random times with no discernible correlation between them.

I've tried uninstall/re-install
verifying the game cache
Changing graphics settings to check for video errors
and I just updated my video drivers 2 days ago.

Hope this gets fixed. >.>

Thanks for any assistance that can be lent.

vgersd

Post by vgersd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 am

I've had SOTS2 installed for several months, it's always had random CTD's, getting more frequent as the game got further along. I let it sit for a while waiting updates, but after the latest I've unistalled, installed (D/L from Steam), deleted all old games, started from scratch, and now that I'm up in the 110 120 turns range, it's getting the CTD's again....

System as Follows:
Dell XPS L501X
6GB RAM
I5 M480
Win7 x64
NVIDIA GeForce DT 420M (driver updated to latest recently, no changes in behavior)

MS Visual Studio Says it's mars.exe tried to read or write to virtual addy that it doesn't have appropriate access to.

Am getting a bit frustrated, help would be appreciated. I have looked over Nvidia errors and other CTD posts, and they don't seem to apply.

Thanks
VgerSD

ddub
Kerberos

Post by ddub » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the data.
I am still investigating this issue.

Thanks,

ForesterSOF

Post by ForesterSOF » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I had them and fixed it mostly by updating all graphix stuff and turnning off all I could on Steam.

Dragais

Post by Dragais » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:07 am

Greetings,

I've owned SotS 2 for awhile now, never have been able to get much of a chance to play it do a persistant wish to CTD. So I figured maybe it was time to ask for a bit of help to see if I was doing it wrong so to speak. Most often the game starts up without a hitch, but once I get into around round 4 - 5 I will get the dread mar's error and then it will crash to desktop. I have verified the files, updated my drives, then re installed the game as well as played on completely reduced settings. Any insight to the problem would be most appreciated! :googly:

System specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: h9-1183
BIOS: Ver: FOR_715.rom vFOR7.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12246MB RAM
Page File: 4210MB used, 20278MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

From there I attached my log files / dmp files.

Return to “Technical Support”