Loa fleet interface slowdown - v2.0.25092.5

Post any bumps you find on the road to galactic domination.

Moderators: Makail, Erinys, ddub

dimstog

Loa fleet interface slowdown - v2.0.25092.5

Post by dimstog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 am

I don't know if this is a new issue or has been reported in the past, but whenever I set a Loa fleet to any composition I get terrible slowdown in the interface when switching from any screen to the main "universe" view.

More specifically, I keep a fleet of cubes (in fleets, not reserve) in every one of my colonies (7 stars right now). When the fleet is in cubes, with no mission, the interface is responsive and all is well. As soon as I set a fleet in any composition, I get terrible slowdown when I select the colony with that fleet or when I switch from ie the economy view to the main view. The slowdown is significant, I could say it's quite longer than ending the turn itself. This also happens when I get attacked and set the "cube" fleet to a composition in the pre-battle battle manager. There is terrible slowdown when the battle is over and the game switches to the main view. Needless to say, the first thing I have to do is revert all fleets to cubes after the initial battles of the round.

I am not sure if the fleet composition or the amount of cubes plays any significant role, I get the feeling that it's worse when there's a Repair (tried a couple of designs for Repair cruisers in case it's a specific design) ship in it, but that might be just my imagination.

I never got any crashes or such, but it makes the game rather unplayable with the Loa. I am not at home right now, but I can post saves and dxdiag later today - if this turns out to be a new issue.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Loa fleet interface slowdown - v2.0.25092.5

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm

you need to post a save and specs in order for us to see why its so bad on your machine.

dimstog

Post by dimstog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Here.

In this save, I have a fleet configured in Fornax. When I select that system in the main view, I get a 15-30 sec delay. If I select one of the other systems (where the fleets are in cube mode), there's almost no delay. If I have Fornax selected and go into the Empire Manager and then switch back to the main view, I get a huge delay (almost a minute), while with the other systems it's 2-3 seconds at most. This happens as well with any other system I configure the cube fleet into a proper fleet. The save is turn 229 but I have noticed this happening since the beginning, although maybe not that bad. I have several earlier saves if you need those as well.

My end turn delay is around 30 seconds at this point in the game, but when I have fleets configured into ships and not cubes it grows a lot longer.

Here's the dxdiag and the save, please let me know if you need more details.
DxDiag.txt

Loa058.part01.rar

Loa058.part02.rar

(and in my Dropbox in case the above fails)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1385950/DxDiag.txt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1385950/Loa058.rar

On a sidenote, although I've been playing this since release, it's the first time I played Loa and their design as a faction is borderline genius, my sincere congratulations to the team.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that also right clicking on the fleet takes a rather long time to display the options (about 15 seconds) when the fleet is in ships mode instead of raw cubes.
Last edited by dimstog on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:58 pm

cool...thanks for all the info! this stuff helps a lot.

lordfrankoo

Post by lordfrankoo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 pm

i didn't touch the game for a while (6 months ) but now started it and ...

This!

Code: Select all

CREATE INDEX [idx_loa_line_records] ON [loa_line_records] ([fleet_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [node_line_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

CREATE INDEX [idx_loa_fleet_ship_def] ON [loa_fleet_ship_def] ([composition_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [design_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

CREATE INDEX [idx_Loa_fleet_compositions] ON [loa_fleet_compositions] ([player_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [invoice_name] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

CREATE INDEX [idx_fleets_loa] ON [fleets] ([player_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [loa_fleet_config] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [system_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [admiral_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

End...

dimstog

Post by dimstog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:38 am

lordfrankoo wrote:i didn't touch the game for a while (6 months ) but now started it and ...

This!

Code: Select all

CREATE INDEX [idx_loa_line_records] ON [loa_line_records] ([fleet_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [node_line_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

CREATE INDEX [idx_loa_fleet_ship_def] ON [loa_fleet_ship_def] ([composition_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [design_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

CREATE INDEX [idx_Loa_fleet_compositions] ON [loa_fleet_compositions] ([player_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [invoice_name] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

CREATE INDEX [idx_fleets_loa] ON [fleets] ([player_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [loa_fleet_config] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [system_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC, [admiral_id] COLLATE NOCASE ASC);

End...

Hey lordfranko, I remember using some scripts of yours in SQLite to optimize saves (which worked pretty well), so I assume this works the same way. But how do I use it ? On the save where the fleet is formed ? And do I have to use it every time I create a new fleet ?

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 am

dimstog wrote:Here.

In this save, I have a fleet configured in Fornax. When I select that system in the main view, I get a 15-30 sec delay. If I select one of the other systems (where the fleets are in cube mode), there's almost no delay. If I have Fornax selected and go into the Empire Manager and then switch back to the main view, I get a huge delay (almost a minute), while with the other systems it's 2-3 seconds at most. This happens as well with any other system I configure the cube fleet into a proper fleet. The save is turn 229 but I have noticed this happening since the beginning, although maybe not that bad. I have several earlier saves if you need those as well.

My end turn delay is around 30 seconds at this point in the game, but when I have fleets configured into ships and not cubes it grows a lot longer.

Here's the dxdiag and the save, please let me know if you need more details.
DxDiag.txt

Loa058.part01.rar

Loa058.part02.rar

(and in my Dropbox in case the above fails)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1385950/DxDiag.txt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1385950/Loa058.rar

On a sidenote, although I've been playing this since release, it's the first time I played Loa and their design as a faction is borderline genius, my sincere congratulations to the team.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that also right clicking on the fleet takes a rather long time to display the options (about 15 seconds) when the fleet is in ships mode instead of raw cubes.

Your main issue would appear to be a weak CPU. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz is just barely above the minimum required to play SotS 2. If possible, I would recommend an i7 or AMD FX 8150 or better.

dimstog

Post by dimstog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:55 am

zanzibar196 wrote:
dimstog wrote:Your main issue would appear to be a weak CPU. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz is just barely above the minimum required to play SotS 2. If possible, I would recommend an i7 or AMD FX 8150 or better.

I won't go into details, but my CPU is underused if anything with SOTS2, especially during those slowdowns. You could argue a slow memory bus, but even that would be a stretch I think.

lordfrankoo

Post by lordfrankoo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 pm

dimstog wrote:
Hey lordfranko, I remember using some scripts of yours in SQLite to optimize saves (which worked pretty well), so I assume this works the same way. But how do I use it ? On the save where the fleet is formed ? And do I have to use it every time I create a new fleet ?

You load you save game file from user\saved games\Sword of the stars II\.... with for example SQLite expert personal 3 (just open the program and drag drop savefilte there)
then run the script in the code - it's done once for save game , no need to run it again , it must affect Loa fleets selection, geting info and so (when there are lots of them) i don't know if there will be considerable improvement but it at least will run a lot faster when selecting data from these tables :)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Your main issue would appear to be a weak CPU. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz is just barely above the minimum required to play SotS 2. If possible, I would recommend an i7 or AMD FX 8150 or better.

I doubt that, as my 2.9 Ghz AMD Athlon II X3 435 is supposed to be worse, and it runs SotS2 just fine in strategic. And even if the clock speed is only thing that matters, there shouldn't be a big difference, should it?
But yes, for SotS2 you're better off with some overpowered CPU, like an i5 or even better...

dimstog

Post by dimstog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:09 am

lordfrankoo wrote:You load you save game file from user\saved games\Sword of the stars II\.... with for example SQLite expert personal 3 (just open the program and drag drop savefilte there)
then run the script in the code - it's done once for save game , no need to run it again , it must affect Loa fleets selection, geting info and so (when there are lots of them) i don't know if there will be considerable improvement but it at least will run a lot faster when selecting data from these tables :)

Thx lordfranko, will try it and post the results.

BlueTemplar wrote:

I doubt that, as my 2.9 Ghz AMD Athlon II X3 435 is supposed to be worse, and it runs SotS2 just fine in strategic. And even if the clock speed is only thing that matters, there shouldn't be a big difference, should it?
But yes, for SotS2 you're better off with some overpowered CPU, like an i5 or even better...

Sure, a more powerful CPU would cut some time from end delay and such, but I am quite sure it has nothing to do with this kind of slowdown - just like CPU was irrelevant with other interface slowdowns in the past.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah, the CPU is really only going to matter in combat anyway.

dimstog

Post by dimstog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:48 am

dimstog wrote:
lordfrankoo wrote:You load you save game file from user\saved games\Sword of the stars II\.... with for example SQLite expert personal 3 (just open the program and drag drop savefilte there)

Thx lordfranko, will try it and post the results.

Unfortunately, no luck. I loaded the save in SQLite Expert, copied your code to SQL tab, hit F5, closed the database (just saying what I did in case I missed something). Thanks anyway for trying :-)

Return to “Technical Support”