Cloaking heavily impacts my FPS

Post any bumps you find on the road to galactic domination.

Moderators: Makail, Erinys, ddub

Ultimate Gerbil

Cloaking heavily impacts my FPS

Post by Ultimate Gerbil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:24 am

I may have missed this but my forum searches have so far been fruitless. Whenever I have cloaked ships rendered in combat my fps tanks. Thus far I have not encountered any other instances of graphical slowdown (i.e. when spamming lots and lots of anti-matter burst torpedoes at Thundering Fists my fps is fine.) Does anyone know if this is a known issue or what the cause may be? To be clear the fps only drops when even 1 cruiser cloaks and is on screen, if not on screen or not cloaked my frames seem fine.

Specs:

CPU: i5-4670K Haswell 3.4 GHz
GPU: GTX 660
RAM: 8 Gigs

*All at stock clock speeds

Using Morrigi Torpedo cruisers fitted with Improved Cloak sections. Any help would be appreciated.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Cloaking heavily impacts my FPS

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:03 am

its the way your graphic card is handling translucency effects. A new driver or a setting switch on the card may help or you may have to resort to staying in sensor view while running multiple cloaked ships.

Ultimate Gerbil

Post by Ultimate Gerbil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:16 am

Ok well that is unfortunate. I updated drivers to latest but no joy. I'm guessing my cloaked ships are not supposed to look like wireframes? Alternatively is there any way I could extract and replace the cloak effect to something that doesn't crush my fps?

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:08 am

Pretty sure even if i went out and put a gtx 980 in my rig i'd still get this problem i've had it for so long I don't use cloak and my drivers are always up to date on my GTX 580 which is more then enough to handle the game on max settings it handles everything fine until such time as I cloak and then it becomes a slide show.
Kill one man it is murder kill one million it is a statistic

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:42 pm

VikingDream wrote:Pretty sure even if i went out and put a gtx 980 in my rig i'd still get this problem i've had it for so long I don't use cloak and my drivers are always up to date on my GTX 580 which is more then enough to handle the game on max settings it handles everything fine until such time as I cloak and then it becomes a slide show.

Comparing a 580 to something that is 4 generations newer is like comparing your 580 to a 180. Anyhow... have you tried turning off steam overlay?

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Last time i check my gtx580 was still rated higher then 91% of GPUs used by others so 4 generations from a 580 -980 may be the case but in terms of this game and only up until recently it's fine for ultra settings on all games save a very few that came out in the past few months.

The point i was making is that the blame is being placed on peoples hard ware/software which coincidentally works fine for 99% of all other games just smells a bit Liir to me. Most likey its a problem in the game code, this problem is known(at least to me) and has been for a long time.

No the steam overlay causes no problems for any of my other games but if this voodoo works fine by me i'll even start a new game and aim for cloak off the bat to test but having to turn off something that causes no problems in any other game I own makes me think the problem is in the game itself and not with the steam overlay.

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:11 am

Not the steam overlay per say but when it is active and my advance cloaked ships fire missiles the FPS drops form a steady 55-60 down to 7-24 for a few seconds and the cloaked ships turn into a wire mesh.

With the overlay off i get drops from 60 fps down to 45-55 so not a problem why is this only when missiles are fired and with the overlay on why does it cause such a hit in terms of FPS, now as this was early game i was only fielding 9 ships but later game with C3 techs i could field a lot more which was normally the time i'd get cloak.

As getting cloak was never priority for me it would be late game so i'd have the C3 techs meaning more ships, more weapons firing and a lot more missiles which is why i think the problem always seemed really bad.

With 9 ships and 3 missile bays on them that's only 27 missiles per salvo but later i'd have more slots and more ships possibly doubling the amount of missiles fired and i'm sure other weapons fire impacts on FPS too while cloak is active.

So to sum up Cloak +missiles cause a FPS hit, Cloak + missiles with overlay on causes a massive FPS hit but why?

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Because steam overlay that's why. You might want to ask steam/valve about it.
Last edited by zanzibar196 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:22 pm

That's really helpful

When its only this game i've noticed this problem with if it were happening in other games i'd say it could be the case but it more likely the way the game interacts with the overlay rather then the overlay its self causing FPS drops.

Why is it only happening with cloaked ships?

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 pm

VikingDream wrote:That's really helpful

When its only this game i've noticed this problem with if it were happening in other games i'd say it could be the case but it more likely the way the game interacts with the overlay rather then the overlay its self causing FPS drops.

Why is it only happening with cloaked ships?

It isn't. See other threads. It also happens with missle spam, and other heavy effects spam. Again, guess your other games aren't as spammy in the missile department?

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Or maybe its the mars engine and the bad coding of the game.

Lets see I can render skyrim with HD texture and added HD mods @60FPS....hmm what else oh yeah crysis 1, 2 and 3 on max setting no problems, all the total war games i own, endless space and bio shock infinite as well as every other game i own not capped at 30 or 60 FPS ... must be my rig not the game itself.

Talk about playing the blame game much? That's pretty much all i see here oh it's your rig, or its steam and even it's paradox's fault what next you'll blame the bad rolls of a D20?

How about the simple honest answer you have no idea why this games FPS tank with cloak active and the steam overlay turned on its a problem with game (Optimization) but you have no idea what it is.

Telling people to get a faster CPU,GPU or more RAM has nothing to do with how the FPS tank it is a generic BS response

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 pm

This trolling thing is starting to put the lie to your best wishes viking. This is tech support not debate to the death club.

VikingDream

Post by VikingDream » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Really i'm a troll when I ask about FPS hits i'm told its my rig or its steam fault... yet i'm the troll ok then, when there's some actual tech support and less nonsensical answers I won't be inclined to reply in a like minded manner.

As a member of the dev team maybe you'd care to explain the FPS hit with cloak, missiles and the overlay? There is also a FPS hit with overlay turned off too.

It drops from 60 to 7-25 FPS, as i've stated my drivers are all up to date it's fresh install and i've deleted the player profiles and save games in their respective files.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Tech support rules are not here for you to "decide" if you will respect them or not. You state your problem and that is it and you do not insult people trying to help you. If this is not enough for you then I suggest you seek help and useful interaction from people you do NOT accuse of lying or being idiots.

Good night.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:16 pm

VikingDream wrote:Or maybe its the mars engine and the bad coding of the game.

Lets see I can render skyrim with HD texture and added HD mods @60FPS....hmm what else oh yeah crysis 1, 2 and 3 on max setting no problems, all the total war games i own, endless space and bio shock infinite as well as every other game i own not capped at 30 or 60 FPS ... must be my rig not the game itself.

Talk about playing the blame game much? That's pretty much all i see here oh it's your rig, or its steam and even it's paradox's fault what next you'll blame the bad rolls of a D20?

How about the simple honest answer you have no idea why this games FPS tank with cloak active and the steam overlay turned on its a problem with game (Optimization) but you have no idea what it is.

Telling people to get a faster CPU,GPU or more RAM has nothing to do with how the FPS tank it is a generic BS response

Seriously, dude? I post a fix... you admit it works... now you want to insult me? WTF? How is this my fault that disabling steam overlay fixes it? How is this Kerberos's fault? Did they code or create the steam overlay? No? Hmmm... maybe ask valve, eh?

Return to “Technical Support”