Ghost Ship Research Strategy

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

Dr. Weird

Re: Ghost Ship Research Strategy

Post by Dr. Weird » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:47 am

Disruptors as mentioned above though you'll likely need more than two cruisers most of the time, or and I'm surprised no one else mentioned it-- when the ghost ship was implemented near the launch of game it was flat out immune to many weapons. X-ray lasers were one of the things that would hurt it. Its since been nerfed if I'm not mistaken, but en masse, X-rays still do a pretty good job and with minimal research investment. Be prepared to sacrifice a few cruisers however if your defensive tech only consists of polysilicate armor and no point defense.
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 am

basically this whole topic is an exercise in futility, there is no strategy that will allow you to field a fleet capable of popping casper befoee he can eat your station without gimping your starting expansion strategy and within 60 turns. Mitigating his impact is the best you can hope for.

first protip is "dont keep all your eggs in one basket" basing all your fleets at one system is a risk and one you should aim to reduce as soon as possible. heck i usually scrap that station on turn one because of its exorbitant upkeep costs. you know the risk is there so do something sensible about it.

And yes, apologies, that is a l2p remark.

other solutions are to crank the station to level 5 and fill it with modules, a lvl5 naval station will survive a 5 minute combat vs casper. the other method is the tried and tested 'build a smaller station on the outermost planet'.

Failing all that, take it like a man and rebuild, casper is meant to be a challenge in the early game, if you refuse to change yiur strategy to addreas the danger he poses you should expect to get your fingers burnt now and again

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:56 pm

The problem is that casper is meant to discourage players from just building L1 stations everywhere and not defending them. However casper has the firepower required to destroy a L4 station and cause heavy damage to any planets he passes. Maxing out the weapon modules on your starting naval station is a good idea. If you are going for a station heavy strategy some research into anti-armor weaponry might be a smart investment. There is also somewhat of a challenge factor to fighting casper. It can be fun to prepare to fight him. While I wouldn't normally give much thought to casper it is a nice exercise to see how early you can build a defence capable of defeating him.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 am

And yet I can kill casper on first meeting fairly consistantly, and the 'slowdown' on being prepared to do so is offset by the lack of slowdown from having randoms kill stuff. To each their own. I'll have 3 defence fleets capable of killing Casper at each of my 3 starting worlds by turn 25, unless I am deal a very crappy starting hand like a pair of size 3 starter colonies - in which case it isnt casper and preparing to defeat him that is slowing me down, it is the crappy start.

Some races will have a significantly harder time of it though, and if you want to play your game with economy and research sliders at 50 pct, likewise you will have a hard time of it. You will have to learn how to use your playstyle to your advantage - but Casper is well within managable once you learn how. I like to kill it first meeting, but you dont have to do that to render him nothing more than an annoyance.

yau

Post by yau » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 pm

@Aranador: Do have a fleet in every System with a station? Or how do you predict where it will strike? And how big are those fleets? Economically speaking, how much fleet maintenance cost are you sacrificing with this strategy?

Now, for me the Ghost Ship is a an annoyance. But starting with this game I also thought "wth were they thinking to put that in?". I still find many elements of this game extremely uneven.

yau

Post by yau » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 pm

ups, I should have checked the date...

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 pm

yau wrote:@Aranador: Do have a fleet in every System with a station? Or how do you predict where it will strike? And how big are those fleets? Economically speaking, how much fleet maintenance cost are you sacrificing with this strategy?

Now, for me the Ghost Ship is a an annoyance. But starting with this game I also thought "wth were they thinking to put that in?". I still find many elements of this game extremely uneven.

Casper seems to strike at worlds based on the type of stations and their levels in that system

he seems to value them like this
Science
Naval
Civilian
Gate
Diplomatic

The value of the station seems to go up 1 step every other level starting at the first.
the values seem to be added not multiplied or averaged when dealing with multiple stations per system.
Casper is also a semi-random encounter which means that he has a physical presence on the map which moves but he choose targets randomly (with more weight on some)
Casper is also much more common on smaller maps possibly due to him having many targets in reach.
it is unknown whether he spawns a game start, when his first encounter happens, when randoms start, or a random chance each turn.

As a side note the game seems to favor choosing several types of randoms that make up the encounters of each map rather than using the whole pool of possible randoms when it comes to semi-randoms like casper and VNs and system events like proteans and AMs.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:18 am

yau wrote:@Aranador: Do have a fleet in every System with a station? Or how do you predict where it will strike? And how big are those fleets? Economically speaking, how much fleet maintenance cost are you sacrificing with this strategy?

Sorry - have been back into Dwarf Fortress for a bit, so wasnt checking posts as much.

But as I said in my post - a fleet capable of defeating Casper at each of my 3 starting colonies. So 3 such fleets, at 3 such systems each with a station. Chances are - he will either hit one of those systems, or he will hit a fledgeling colony that will be back to where it was within the space of a couple of turns.

I insist on having a defence fleet at any system worth hanging on to - it is how I play. As for funding that? I'll often only do feasibility studies for the first 20-30 turns (except for disruptors, which are cheap). Do a study, and no matter if it is pass or fail, do another study. I actually believe this to be less wasteful than smashing out big research bucks earlier on, but I have not really crunched any numbers.

Anyway - disruptor torps - 2 morri torp cruisers can disrupt Casper enough to basically turn him into a big floating target barge. The other ships in the fleet can plink away too, but it is the disruptors that are the key. If your supporting planet can spew enough missiles, Casper will then die. Chances are, you'll only have to make repairs, and wont actually loose anything. Say what you like about the cost of being prepared, but the lack of cost to repair after the fact plus the big morale boost pretty much pays for it in my book - and then you can have new colonies starting with one less random to shoot them and slow you down.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:42 pm

I thought Casper got patched so EMP wore off really fast.

Return to “T.A.R.”