Ghost Ship Research Strategy

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

marshb

Re: Ghost Ship Research Strategy

Post by marshb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Gry, what is your combat timer set for? This is very "gamey" but the default 8 min timer shouldn't be enough time for it to destroy your station tho you did imply your playing liir, they have harder time surviving.

Another thing you could do is place a cheap throw away station as decoy. Not sure about it's behavior, if it goes for the outer most system first or the inner most, you may have to experiment with placement.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm

SFS Lovenought wrote:Or you could turn of the random encounters.

I'm sure there are methods to cause the Ghost Ship to be permanently absent. But I don't want to impugn the artistic integrity of the work by doing so. If Kerberos wants to make a statement about rape* as part of war, I feel I should either engage it on that basis or, as I have chosen, not play it at all.

marshb wrote:Gry, what is your combat timer set for? This is very "gamey" but the default 8 min timer shouldn't be enough time for it to destroy your station tho you did imply your playing liir, they have harder time surviving.

I thought the default was 5 minutes, as that's what I've been playing at for the last year. I did have the station survive into the final minute once. But I haven't had the station survive the attack or even been able to remove one turret with the assets I've been able to bring in including, on one occasion, a half dozen cutters and a full fleet of cruisers. It really looks like Kobayashi Maru to me.

*I don't know what else to call a non-consensual encounter with an atom-powered phallic symbol which destroys the heart of that which I hoped to build.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

SFS Lovenought

Post by SFS Lovenought » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Gryfalcon wrote:*I don't know what else to call a non-consensual encounter with an atom-powered phallic symbol which destroys the heart of that which I hoped to build.

Gryfalcon wrote:If Kerberos wants to make a statement about rape* as part of war, I feel I should either engage it on that basis or, as I have chosen, not play it at all.

Okay, I am just going to hide under my desk.
Can someone knock twice on top when the lightning stops flying?

marshb

Post by marshb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:04 pm

SFS Lovenought wrote:.........

Room for one more?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

SFS Lovenought

Post by SFS Lovenought » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:10 pm

marshb wrote:
SFS Lovenought wrote:.........

Room for one more?

Did you bring the Popcorn?

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I routinely build extra stations and station a defense fleet at my HW, my incentive was VN attacks but I learned that its a good all around answer to most randoms.

As for the Leviathan, I managed to divert it by literally throwing a fleet infornt of her and letting them die for the good of the commonwealth, that was several patches ago so I don't know if it still works.

Warder

jam3

Post by jam3 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 am

Torpedoes will kill the GH just a matter of how many cruisers you need with whatever combat timer you have set, short combat timers and large torp cruiser fleets can crush your early econ. Liir has a distinct advantage here with assault bridges and torp missle section giving you 5 tubes on a cruiser with fusion torp tech alone.

Hully

Post by Hully » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Ghost-ship attacked system with drone satellites. Drones fitted with medium emitters, they killed it I was shocked!

True, it still killed my station... but at least it wont be back!!!

Ryoku

Post by Ryoku » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Ghost ship really early? I don't mean to be rude, but suck it up and rebuild, hit him good on his way out, slavers are just as annoying, but space is dangerous. Nasty that the Ghost ship attacked your HW so early and in 2 separate games. As other people have said in other guises, don't put all your eggs in one basket, having everything run out of 1 system after turn 60 is a really bad idea, it'll slow down your exploration and expansion, and as you've learned, doesn't do any favors to your shipbuilding if anything happens to your HW.

manty5

Post by manty5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:02 am

Ryoku wrote:I don't mean to be rude,... suck it up and rebuild... hit him good on his way out... space is dangerous. don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Oh come on. I'm sure you could use a LOT more trite phrases to help out! How about "look both ways before crossing the nodeline, a zuul in one hand means there's seven of them crawling out of the bush, you can beat a dead Loa to water but you can't teach him to fish for a day."

With enough of those, I'm certain we can find an answer to this problem!

Scamps

Post by Scamps » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Don't believe it can be that bad, if you keep it out of accelerated time. Can you post a save?
Also, random thought: PD + disruptor shields?

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:13 am

Disruptor torps - tried, tested, true. All it took was two cruisers with these, and Casper went down first encounter with hardly a wimper.

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Funny, playing with the default 5 minute combat timer and I've *never* lost my starting naval base to Casper..

simkin

Post by simkin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah he took almost 10 minutes to beat my level 4 station once, and my *assault shuttle* fleet, which had been turret stripping him with missiles, managed to finish him off before he got away.

That being said, Caspar is definitely the most annoying of the randoms.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am

Aranador wrote:Disruptor torps - tried, tested, true. All it took was two cruisers with these, and Casper went down first encounter with hardly a wimper.

This. A fleet of six Morrigi torpedo cruisers with disruptors, green beamers, and plasma cannons was able to destroy the Ghost Ship. Two dozen disruptor hits every 8 seconds disables even the Ghost Ship :)
Go Hiver or go home!

Return to “T.A.R.”