The End of Flesh... Everywhere. (TAR)

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

Rossinna-Sama

The End of Flesh... Everywhere. (TAR)

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Disclaimer: There is a mod active for this. All it does is increase Loa gate limits to 1 million, 2 million and 3 million. I must apologize, but that's how I do things when not playing MP. In my opinion, it is simply too much of a factor in the super late game that it makes researching LVs and so on pointless. So, for the sake of fun... the increased game limits are here. If this is a problem with the TAR, then say so and I'll move this to the modding forum. That is the only active change.

------
What is this?

This is a TAR for the Arbusian Loa Empire. (That's what I call myself. Arbus is my nickname)
It starts off with this single map, but will expand to include every.single.map the game has, if interest is enough.

What role can I play?

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome. You can "suggest" that I play a certain way or do certain things if it is feasible for me to do such. You may even place restrictions on certain things, such as simply forbidding me for a single map from using and researching any energy weapons at all.

During major events of my choosing, I may also provide a save game file from before the battle so you can try it out for yourself.

Will you play any race but Loa for this TAR?

Nope. While I may use different colors, I'll always be playing Loa for this.

Would you be willing to play a MP match with me during this TAR?

Only if you up the gate limits so things stay even during the storyline. I typically don't play MP, but exceptions can be made.

Why, why, why are you using that gate mod?

Personal preference. I don't like what I see as needless micromanagement for no true reason apart from to add it. But that is what the mod is for. Kerb made their choice and I accept it, but doesn't mean I have to keep it. That's just a modders way. If I must, I will play with the default gate limit, but it annoys me to no end.

------
The story so far:

I don't know why this place was chosen. Nor it something I really care about. All I know is that I have three colonies, hardly any resources and a shortage of skilled researchers. Not to mention, as I am yet to prove myself to my people a very low income rate as well. I guess they don't quite know how I will perform, so they are unwilling to send all of their energy to me. Go figure.

# Pulled from the archives # <--- Links to previous pictures taken before this thread started.

We all knew that they had to be out there. Our parents. Little did we expect that they would be so close! Before the Morrigi, as they call themselves had time to strike, we assembled two combat-ready fleets and set off.

As the Archives show, we were successful in destroying their Naval Station which they had set up in their home system. We had hope that would be the end of it.

It was clearly not going to be that easy however, as the Morrigi tried to strike our homeworld in revenge. This was not only our first real battle with them, but the first time we had seen their ships. Our information about this particular race had suggested that they enjoy long range fighting.

As the Archives show here however, that was not the case. Just because a race is typically best at doing one thing doesn't mean that they will do that. The Loa Admiral was taken by surprise by the Morrigi fielding close-combat armor designs, and a valiant Loa ship lost his life for the Admirals slow reaction time.

However, the Loa Admiral was able to avert disaster by taking a direct hand in the positioning and targets of the fleet, ensuring a victory over the Morrigi fleet. They lost 8 cruisers with two seriously wounded, for the cost of a single Loa life.

A major celebration was held, for it was assured that the Morrigi would leave this sector and leave us in peace.

# Pulled from the archives #

As time was to show, the Morrigi were far from beaten. Even with 1st Survey and 2nd Survey fleet working together to destroy the Morrigi homeworld, it didn't even seem to annoy the Morrigi, who we had now taken to calling "The Birds.".

They attacked. Constantly. As often as we raided one of their systems, they tried to do the same to us.

Even using some unusual tactics, The Birds were fighting a losing battle the entire time.

The Morrigi changed tactics eventually, moving to a fighting style which was more expected from them. Gone were the Armor cruisers, replaced with Drone Carriers. While causing serious damage to the Loa fleet, The Birds never destroyed any of my children, and yet... they lost every single ship the sent at us.

In response to the Morrigi switch to Drone Carriers, we started fielding Shielded Cruisers. Initially, we only had two designs. The S Command which lead my fleet into battle, and S Combat which was an armor section decked out with close combat weapons.

It was during this period where the fighting was getting intense.

While we were still taking no combat losses, the damage was starting to take its toll. Cube costs were starting to skyrocket as production struggled to keep up with the added expense of shields. It was decided to spend a few years with no energy tax to let my fellow Loa grow. It was a calculated risk, but one that had to be taken before we could field our secret weapon.

The Morrigi had no idea we were developing Fusion Torpedoes. Our Scientists believed that it would be the ultimate counter to anything the Morrigi could field.

Soon, an opportunity presented itself. A Morrigi fleet was detected on a direct course to my homeworlds, and 1st Survey Fleet was ordered to intercept them in deep space. The Loa admiral decided it was time to field test the new weapon.

While the Morrigi fleet was only small, it proved to be an excellent demonstration to both the Morrigi and my own people about the effectiveness of the new weapon.

From now on, no Loa ship has come close to death due to a Morrigi ship due to the power of these weapons. We knew that they would try eventually to find a counter...

-----
Present Day

It is turn 103. Progress is coming along on the R&D of the new Dreadnaught sized ships. This study is another gamble, as it will take 30 turns to complete at the current rate of research.

We have just launched another invasion of one of their systems.

The Morrigi once claimed that this world was its capital after their initial homeworld was razed. Unfortunately for them, the attrition warfare going on between my empire and theirs is forcing them to fund fleets... instead of a strong planetary defense. They pay the price.

All they have to do is lay down their arms. But they refuse. So the only course of action my fleet can take is to cleanse yet another planet of life. The entire population is dead within 30 seconds, due to the 60 Assault shuttles focusing them down.

In the meantime, 3rd Survey fleet destroys the lone drone platform.

While this is happening, 2nd Survey Fleet goes hunting for Morrigi stations and finds none. Having nothing better to shoot at, the fleet pounds the planet with Fusion Torpedoes and Missiles. The Morrigi seemed to have learned that any station that they set up attracts the attention of my Loa fleet before long, so they have stopped making them.

And as if demonstrating that fact, 1st Survey Fleet has found a Morrigi fleet around their old, devastated homeworld. The Morrigi are once again surprised to see that my fleet is fielding a new ship design, the S Carrier. Designed with ballistics and standoff in mind, the new carriers preemptively were constructed to deal with what the Loa were expecting the Morrigi to field. While not the most effective design, it still gets the job done.

Why are the Morrigi still trying to resist? What is it about this sector that has them so willing to fight to the death?

The Mass Driver armed Drones may seem like an abomination to many Loa, but this is war. I know that the Morrgi will be doing something to stop the Fusion Torpedoes eventually...

The final Morrigi ship gets hammered by the relentless drone onslaught.

All three fleets report that their missions were successful and they are on their way back.

However, fractured reports from forward observers are saying that the Morrigi are now fielding Disruptors. If this intel is correct, they have developed the counter I was expecting them to field.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Rossinna-Sama

Re: The End of Flesh... Everywhere. (TAR)

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 pm

----
Things are starting to look up. The Scientists predict that we are less than 12 turns from having the necessary components for our DN production. The populace is enjoying this war more than I would have expected. A public vote was issued which asked the populace if they wished to fund a massive military buildup in preparation of launching fleets at every Morrigi-held world all at once.

While the vote was close, the end result was the populace deciding to continue with my current tactics. If the Morrigi pose no true threat, why change anything? It seems a large scale building program isn't something which we shall be doing anytime soon, unless the situation changes.

In the meantime, we have prepared some more front line reports.

3rd Survey fleet was sent to strike another Morrigi world. Again, the world was virtually undefended. The fleet was in Combat Form so was not really prepared to lay siege to the planet as reports had placed a Morrigi Invasion Fleet in the same system.

6 drones and a platform was all that stood between my fleet and the planet. Again.

Regardless, 3rd Survey Fleet pushed forward and released their drones. Missiles were launched at the Morrigi planet, with the drones either going after the enemy drones or the platform which launched them.

It was a one sided battle if there ever was one. Sensors indicated that a sizable Morrigi fleet was possibly in the system, but we were not able to confirm it.

The Morrigi drones tried valiantly to protect their platform, but 60 vs 6...

The attached Combat Report.

While this was ongoing, 1st Survey fleet was raiding yet another Morrigi system. Not detecting any hostile Morrigi ships, the fleet formed into the Assault form and launched the invasion of the planet.

Offers of surrender were once again issued, but the birds didn't respond. Our engineers are busy investigating why our sensors are showing those large, red hats on all planets as well.

As usual, the atrocity which followed soured the Loa ships involved. How many more Morrigi must be killed before they submit?

Both fleets returned to base. Shortly afterwards...
This Morrigi fleet was detected on an invasion course to our home system... again. 3rd Survey Fleet was dispatched to deal with them.

Successfully intercepting them, 3rd Survey Fleet was surprised to see only a half-strength Morrigi fleet. Unconcerned, the fleet unleashed their drones and made a bee-line towards the CNC ship.

The Loa Admiral pondered: Why are the Morrigi still not fielding any PD or any real counters to... well, anything? Are their finances in such a bad shape?

It does not matter. Until they surrender, the Morrigi will suffer the same fate. My drones demolish the CNC ship and proceed to swarm the rest of their fleet.

While all of this was ongoing, a fierce dogfight between my drones and the Morrigi drones was taking place between the ships of the fleet. The Morrigi drones are highly agile and hard to hit, but were horribly outnumbered.

It seemed some of my drones wanted to try and have a 1 on 1 with the drones. I was more then willing to accept, as I didn't care.

Attached Combat Report.

... Why? Just... why? Are they trying to annoy us? I feel as if I should hide this from the population before they demand a massacre of a scale I'm not willing to authorize... yet.

As if trying to demonstrate that declining their demand was a poor decision, a full sized Morrigi attack fleet invades my home system... yet again. They have not struck anywhere else...

At this point, my citizens of my planet enjoy the raids the Morrigi try and unleash on me, as it gives them a spectacle to sit down and watch.

The Morrigi seem to be fielding a slightly different Drone Cruiser design. It packs many more missiles than in the past, but forgoes nearly all PD.

When will the birds stop attacking my systems, sit back and build up some effective PD? Their CNC ship didn't even survive the first pass of the Loa drones.

Once again, fierce dog-fighting takes place as the Morrigi drones try and attack my cruisers, with my drones hot on their tail.

Neither fleet even bothers to get close to each other. Missiles and drones are traded, but unfortunately for the Morrigi, they can't keep it up and their ships start to disintegrate under the intense barrage.

I'm still expecting them to field Disruptors. I know they have it... why wouldn't they? Before I started to field these missile and drone cruisers, I was only using energy weapons. My intel says they have it... so why are they not using it?

The combat ends, as the Loa admiral calls for a cease fire. Only two Morrigi ships escape.

Attached Combat Report.

Why are the Morrigi still fighting? What is so special about this sector? Are they really going to force us to kill every last one of them before we can move on?
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Cancelled due to lack of interest on my part, and from the few people who actually spoke to me civilly about it ingame.

Defacto

Post by Defacto » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:01 pm

shame i liked it a lot
You cant beat death
But you can make the bastard work hard for it

Blackswimmer

Post by Blackswimmer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:19 pm

:(
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:47 am

Why were people uncivil?

mrelegos

Post by mrelegos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Sorry to hear that people were uncivil, dude. For what it's worth, I found it a fascinating read.
Bellum se ipsum alet

argentus

Post by argentus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 am

I liked the perspective on it. i found it a good read

Return to “T.A.R.”