Guerrilla Tactics

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

Noxsol

Guerrilla Tactics

Post by Noxsol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Very new to SotS2 so I can't offer much beyond the concept and a request for advice on it - just uncertain of the viability with the game's mechanics.

Basically I want to use guerrilla tactics by beating my chest and shouting alot :P
Kidding, kidding... in seriousness though I'm trying to combine intelligence techs and small, maneuverable fleets to emulate guerrilla warfare. I think that by using waves of small fleets equipped with point defense and long range weaponry, evading the enemies effective combat range and retreating when things get risky you should be able to inflict alot of damage at low risk and cost and come out on top of an attrition war. Combining this with intelligence gathering techs to find viable targets and maneuverability techs to reach them I believe you could seriously impair the development and expansion of an enemy in the early-mid game.

Only playing my first game of SotS2 so I've had little practical experience of this but I think it's theoretically sound as a strategy, and am currently employing and refining it :)
Thought I'd post this here to see if anyone uses this kind of strategy, ask for some advice to further refine it and offer it as a suggestion to see how it fares in the hands of an inevitably more skilled player. Peace :)
Explanations exist: they have existed for all time - there is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong. - HL Mencken

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Guerrilla Tactics

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Noxsol wrote:Very new to SotS2 so I can't offer much beyond the concept and a request for advice on it - just uncertain of the viability with the game's mechanics.

Basically I want to use guerrilla tactics by beating my chest and shouting alot :P
Kidding, kidding... in seriousness though I'm trying to combine intelligence techs and small, maneuverable fleets to emulate guerrilla warfare. I think that by using waves of small fleets equipped with point defense and long range weaponry, evading the enemies effective combat range and retreating when things get risky you should be able to inflict alot of damage at low risk and cost and come out on top of an attrition war. Combining this with intelligence gathering techs to find viable targets and maneuverability techs to reach them I believe you could seriously impair the development and expansion of an enemy in the early-mid game.

Only playing my first game of SotS2 so I've had little practical experience of this but I think it's theoretically sound as a strategy, and am currently employing and refining it :)
Thought I'd post this here to see if anyone uses this kind of strategy, ask for some advice to further refine it and offer it as a suggestion to see how it fares in the hands of an inevitably more skilled player. Peace :)

The thing is that most long range options are countered by PD.
Do you plan on playing MP, or mostly SP?
Long range warfare can work quite well against the AI, but humans tend to rush one of the PD techs very early and PD tends to counter missiles and other long range stuff hard.
Snipers are also effective for a while I'll admit, but once things like Battleriders are on the field, those snipers will get shredded.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Noxsol

Post by Noxsol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:The thing is that most long range options are countered by PD.
Do you plan on playing MP, or mostly SP?
Long range warfare can work quite well against the AI, but humans tend to rush one of the PD techs very early and PD tends to counter missiles and other long range stuff hard.
Snipers are also effective for a while I'll admit, but once things like Battleriders are on the field, those snipers will get shredded.
Playing SP, will delve into multiplayer when I've established a set of tactics though - currently using sniper cannons, not big on the thought of missiles haha. Is there an effective counter or defense to battleriders? If not would using this idea early game to curb enemy development still be effective or would the investment in techs end up crippling your own development too? Thank you for your response
Explanations exist: they have existed for all time - there is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong. - HL Mencken

Dr. Weird

Post by Dr. Weird » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:52 am

I think to get the feel you're looking for you want to research cloaking. Remember guerrilla warfare only lasts as long and the stronger power can't find the guerillas, predict where they will hit or effectively reach the base they originate from. Sneaking around in the back field by building an outpost under the enemy's nose then launching cloaked fleets from there will cause a lot of disruption and damage indeed.

be advised though-- not all races have a good chance to get the cloaking tech.
Scrodinger may or may not have been here...

Athlon2736

Post by Athlon2736 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 am

Dr. Weird wrote:I think to get the feel you're looking for you want to research cloaking. Remember guerrilla warfare only lasts as long and the stronger power can't find the guerillas, predict where they will hit or effectively reach the base they originate from. Sneaking around in the back field by building an outpost under the enemy's nose then launching cloaked fleets from there will cause a lot of disruption and damage indeed.

be advised though-- not all races have a good chance to get the cloaking tech.

Exactly what I was going to complement.

If you get the late game too, having intangability, and COL's and even put some effort into bio warfare to deal damage to their worlds and fight the indirectly.

On that though, many Players will begin to counter this as fast as possible. Deep Scan Commands, heavy Gauss and ballistic weapons, and constantly striking you when the fleet is away. Personally, I prefer a touch of both warfare's. A grueling blow for blow late game with large fleets, while piracy, and strike missions with smaller fleets in the early game. Late game, Guerrilla tactics often get passed over for the blow for blow battles. If you can get it, Sleath armour and Cloaking work well. The piracy fleets get Stealth, your strike fleets(or Raiding/Phantom fleets as I prefer to call them) get cloaking.

Hope it helps.
The meaning of victory is not ot merely to defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnent of his endeavours, to crush his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existance. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of Victory.

Return to “T.A.R.”