Tales of the New Terran Protectorate

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

duckbird

Tales of the New Terran Protectorate

Post by duckbird » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey folks,

So as a bit of a little creative outlet for myself, I'm going to be detailing the story of my last singleplayer campaign. I hope to use a variety of media to tell the story, with pictures, news reports, correspondences, diaries, or simple narrative. Whatever events or government direction end up taking place in the game, I will try my best to incorporate into the story. I'm going to diverge a bit from the cannon SOTS story universe, but attempt to make everything fit regardless.

Any feedback is much appreciated, and I hope you all enjoy!

duckbird

Re: Tales of the New Terran Protectorate

Post by duckbird » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Admiral Takeo Earthchild: To New Terran Protectorate Fleet Command
Transmission Sent: July 18th NTP year 4, 00:14:56
Priority: Urgent

Lord Protector,
As part of our scheduled travels for exploration laid out in the Terran Exploration Act passed last year, our survey fleet has proceeded to the Octans system by way of Petacon. I send this transmission to you at your highest urgency after our arrival back in the Petacon system.

Upon entry into real space in the Octans system, our fleet encountered unidentified ships in great number and of no previously known specification. We attempted communication through every available frequency. The unidentified ships did not respond to any hails, whether sent in NTP protocol, nor any of the old Independent protocols, and even ancient SolForce protocols. Transmissions from the unidentified ships were indecipherable. We have recorded all transmissions received and recommend immediate study. Attempt at communication lasted for approximately 35 minutes before our sensors detected the launch of multiple fusion-based warheads locked on our ships. The importance of delivering this information to fleet HQ outweighed my dutiful obligation to face any enemy of the Protectorate, and I ordered our fleet to reengage node drives and return to Protectorate space.

I find it highly unlikely that we have encountered the descendents of the SFS Neo Maria. The ships we encountered appeared nothing like the ships of our Ancestors, and any other survivors of the Migration Disaster are unlikely to have not recognized our attempts to communicate using SolForce protocols. I fear we have encountered an alien race as advanced as our own. I also do not believe the unidentified vessels to be of the same origin as the ancient and dilapidated drones we encountered in Kanjar Ro. I am confident that our science teams will be able to draw proper conclusion from the data we bring back with us.

May your leadership long serve Humanity.
Your faithful servant, Admiral Takeo Earthchild

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Beautiful and imaginative work!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to reading more. :)

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Both of the above posts seconded. This is a really cool take on TARs, and is fun so far.

Seonid

Post by Seonid » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 am

This is beautiful

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:02 am

Subject: Fwd: Job Opportunity
Received: 8/12/06 14:12:57

Hey Jack,

Thanks again for stopping by for dinner last weekend. It really means a lot to your mother. With you and Thomas out of the house, she's really feeling that empty nest syndrome. I don't know what we're going to do when Mary goes off to school too. We'll probably get another goddamned dog!

Anyway I know how frustrated you've been with work lately, so I wanted to send this on over to you. I'm not sure if you remember Mr. Gannon. You were probably 5 last time you saw him. Anyhow he's working over on the Iszm naval yard and just gave me a heads up. Now that the war's official, there's a lot of demand for construction work. I did a stint back on the New Terra station when I was your age. It's some tough ass work, but it's an honest paycheck and certainly an industry that's going to grow for the coming future.

I know it's not what you want to do, but please give it a look. Let me know if you apply and I'll get you in tough with Will. He's got a lot of influence over there and I'm sure he can put in a good word for you, and maybe help fudge some of those certification reqs. Hell, half of those didn't even exist when I was in the field. Keep me updated, and come visit again soon!

Love, Dad

Begin forwarded message:

Iszm Construction
Isara Naval Yard
First Shift – Full Time
Construction – Industrial Dock Construction
Experience Required: 0-3 Years Terrestrial or Zero-G Construction

The People of Iszm Construction are some of the Protectorate's finest. We provide leading maintenance and modernization services in our yards and Navy yards. Our orbital docks are ready for use by the Protectorate to build the ships needed to face the Tarkasian threat.

Summary: As a Dock Construction Worker , this position is responsible for supervised riveter, fitter and shipfitter type work in the shipyard across multiple projects. In this capacity, the Worker and fitter is responsible for coordinating all equipment and labor for the assigned craft. Craft involves assigned aspects including labor, materials, tools and equipment, change orders and job hazard analyses. Additionally the Worker may have responsibility for overseeing the work of lower level Workers in the same craft area. The incumbent must be self-disciplined, resourceful, and willing to accept responsibility for the assigned crafts.

Experience: No minimum experience required, but at least 1-3 years Construction experience preferred. Off world or Zero-G Construction experience a bonus and considerable for rapid advancement and deployment.

Certifications: MN, ND, SD, NE, or IA preferred At least NTP-BC certification required.

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 pm

September 1st, NTP year 14:
From Europa Plaza on New Terra:
State of the Protectorate Speech:
Lord Protector Julian Augustus I:

Fellow Citizens of the Protectorate,

I call out to you in the wake of recent catastrophes to issue a call to arms. No longer can Humanity ignore the perils of our time. While we squabble and bicker amongst our selves, our enemies encroach upon our worlds. No longer can we allow our petty nature to prevent us from uniting against our common foe! The unstoppable tide of conflict is upon us, threatening our annihilation.

An unwinnable war looms before us all. We must seek our refuge in unity less we be swept away with the tide. The Independent Systems are no more. The governments of Old Regenta and Isara cannot defend us from the coming storm. Whatever pretense of safety or security they once alluded is but a fleeting and comforting dream. Only a Protectorate of united Terran worlds can hope to stand in the face of our enemies.

The agenda of the alien has been laid clear before us. The devastation wrought upon our worlds is only the beginning. We have seen our ships plundered, our homes razed, and our families slaughtered by an unfeeling and savage enemy. How many of us lost friends and loved ones on Kanjar Ro? How many of us knew the fallen heroes who died in defense of Medea?

We have seen the skies blackened and cities leveled by the callous attacks of the arrogant Tarkas. We have seen our colonies on the fringe worlds annihilated by the savage feasting of the terrifying Hivers. These are the realities of our time, as unimaginable and horrible as they may be! No longer can Humanity choose to ignore these threats to our very existence!

I stand before you today to issue a universal call to arms. Let no Human soul stand complacent with the advent of our extinction. Let no citizen of the Protectorate do less than their duty in the shared defense of our species. This burden weighs heavily on us all. Everyone will be asked to do their part!

The coming years will be trying. Our resolve and courage will be viciously tested. But Humanity will persevere. We will endure. The alien menace will not find us a collection of scattered worlds and quarreling powers. They will find instead a united Humanity standing together in the face of oblivion.

Our survival demands it.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Oooo, great speech. I'm sitting at work pumped up and ready to defend humanity (too bad I have no starship or enemies to shoot at)!

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:31 am

Jan 11th, NTP year 16, 23:44:03
Attn: NTP Fleet Command, Izsm Station
Admiral Horatio Cabot, from the bridge of the TPS Linzel
Subject: On the Defense of the Chanorr System: Classified Debriefing

Fleet Command,
The Tarkasian threat is never again to be underestimated. Their fleets are not bound by the access points of subspace to which we must adhere. That an alien fleet was allowed to approach the doorstep of New Terra itself is unforgivable. Our defense fleet performed admirably, and the enemy was dispersed before coming into range to threaten the planet.

Our cruisers cannot stand toe to toe with the enemy's. Our old Gothic cruisers are out-armored and outgunned. The average Tarkasian cruiser is heavily outfitted with advanced ballistic weaponry, and multiple warhead launch systems capable of heavily overwhelming our point defense. Their desperation is what allowed us to triumph.

My fleet emerged from subspace between the incoming threat and our homeworld. Our battleline engaged the enemy ships in a maximum range skirmish, and I sent our new Avenger class cruisers to strike at the enemy flank. Coordinating with planetary defense command, our missile fire was enough to slow the enemy's progress. Enemy warheads severely damaged several of our vessels, but we were able to avoid a direct confrontation within close weapons range. Our three Avenger torpedo cruisers were able to approach from the side to maximum weapon range, and fire their payload at the enemy's command vessel.

The new ships performed remarkably. The enemy CNC was destroyed in the first volley, and the enemy fleet quickly disengaged. Our fleet is en route to drydock for repairs, and the whereabouts of the retreating enemy vessels is being diligently tracked.

I officially change my stance on the previously debated attack. I am in full support of total war against the Tarkasian threat, and volunteer to personally lead one of the fleets in an attack on their homeworld of Octans. The enemy seems unaware of our FTL mechanics, and I believe a direct assault on Octans is the only appropriate response to such an audacious attack on our New Terra. Let their cities burn for a change.

The crews of our Avenger cruisers are ecstatic. The ships are performing well above expectation, and recharge rates on the torpedo silos are quicker than specifications noted. I recommend commendation of the architect responsible for the design. A reliance on ranged weaponry is going to be crucial to overcome the enemy's superior firepower.

Ever a servant of the Protectorate,
Admiral Cabot

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 am

February 27th, NTP year 20, 03:55:04
To: Logan Madrow
Sent from the infirmary of the TPS Madrigal, Outside Octans System
Subject: Admiral Aoife Madrow

My Dearest Logan,

By the time you receive this message, news of our defeat will have surely reached New Terra. The Tarkasian defense fleets proved stronger than anticipated, and the world we thought vulnerable stands only partially scathed. Our armada is shattered and broken. Only half of our ships escaped the system.

Our arrogance and thirst for revenge has led us to disaster. The alien menace cannot be so easily defeated by a desperate attack at their homeworld. I fear we have done little more than further embitter our foe.

The blood of thousands is on my hands. My decisions have cost us our lives. The Madrigal will not reach New Terra before the enemy catches up to us. I am afraid I will not see you and the children again. Tell them that their mother loves them, and that she died in defense of the Protectorate.

May we meet again in the next world, my beloved
-Aoife

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Oh noooos! A setback! Really lovin this tar. :thumbsup:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:10 pm

The story thus far:

It has been 29 years since the Terran Systems Wars ended and the old independent governments of Regenta and Isara capitulated to the demands of the military government of New Terra. The New Terran Protectorate was formed, with the charismatic and victorious politician Julian Armar appointed as Lord Protector. The new dictator adopted the title Augustus, and all known human settlements within the Corinthian sector were brought together under unified leadership.

The unification could not have come soon enough. A mere four years after the founding of the Protectorate, a survey fleet of outdated pre-System Wars era ships arrived in the Octans system, and encountered a previously unknown alien species. The Tarka, alarmed at an alien fleet arriving seemingly out of nowhere outside their home world, immediately initiated hostile relations. The Protectorate responded with an emergency nationalization of industry, placing major sectors of the economy under direct government control.

The drydocks of Iszm, the heart of Protectorate industry, surged into production, and plans for a dedicated fleet of warships were laid out; the first since the unification. In NTP year 9, Battlefleet Chanorr launches under the command of admiral Cassandra Snow, a decorated hero of the System Wars. Initially sent to defend the borders of Tarkasian space, admiral Snow's fleet was recalled to the Eastern fringe of the Protectorate, where unidentified ships had been spotted approaching the system of Medea in real space.

The Hivers attacked without warning and without any attempt at communication. Battlefleet Chanorr arrives as the invading Hiver ships approach the civilian worlds. A long and bitter battle is fought, and the Protectorate forces are victorious, fending off the attackers.

A brief period of cold war begins. The Protectorate raises taxes, enacts a general draft, and begins production of two more battlefleets. The Terran Defense Fleet is launched under admiral Horatio Cabot, with the express goal of protecting Terran space. Battlefleet Zyra is launched under admiral Zylara Le, and begins harassing fringe Tarkasian colonies. A guerrilla war ensues, neither side willing to commit to a pitched battle.

The Eastern front of the Protectorate is ordered to assume a purely defensive posture. The Hiver's lack of an FTL system means their incursions can be easily spotted and dealt with from afar. In NTP year 16, a Tarkasian invasion fleet slips by Protectorate defenses, and the colony of Kanjara is razed. Millions of civilian lives are lost. The Protectorate government uses the event to exert more control over the economies and policies of individual Terran worlds. When the same invasion fleet arrives in Chanorr, the cradle of New Terra itself, an ultimatum is hatched. The Terran defense fleet successfully deters the attackers who do not seem to realize how close they came to the capital of the Protectorate. The invading fleet quickly jumps out of system when their command ship is destroyed.

A plan to strike the Tarkasian empire at home is launched. Battlefleet Gothic, launched under admiral Aoife Madrow, joins Battlefleet Zyra and the Terran Defense Fleet, renamed Battlefleet Luna. The Terran armada departs the western system of Petacom in December of NTP year 19. They arrive the Octans system two months later, and battle is joined on the 25th of February.

The invasion is a disaster. Instead of an undefended homeworld open to a sneak attack through subspace, the invading fleet arrived to find itself confronted with three full fleets of Tarkasian warships. The Battle of Octans was fought at the edge of the system, until the admiral Cabot finally ordered the a withdrawal. Great devastation was wrought upon the Tarkasian homeworld by Zyra's assault shuttles, but the price paid was steep. The Terran armada limped home, only 12 ships surviving out of the 28 which left Petacom only two months prior.

Details of the disaster were censored. Admirals Madrow and Zylara had not survived the battle. In a private government court, admiral Cabot was tried for treason and publicly executed a week later. The invasion was hailed as a betrayal by Protectorate media, and the official line was that Octans would have burned if Cabot's fleet had not fled the battle. A period of cold war and expansion began.

Sandwiched between the Hivers and Tarkas, the Protectorate expands towards the center of observable space. Certain industries are re-privatized, with corporations working with the Protectorate officials given preferential status for government contracts. State sponsored trade boosts the Terran economy, and a state of cold war looms over the Protectorate. No side in the conflict has launched an invasion in nine years.

The Protectorate presently boasts a population of 19 billion citizens, on 18 worlds in 12 systems divided into 3 provinces.

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Good stuff! :)
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Return to “T.A.R.”