Attack / Defense with more than one Fleet

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

Horschdt

Attack / Defense with more than one Fleet

Post by Horschdt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi, I created the same Question at the Paradox Forum, so far no answars - i count on you guys ;-)

I've played the game almost 100h but still couldnt figure out how to use the Battle Manager correctly.. the moment i have multiple fleetsin system it is a lucky guess which one ends up in the battle..

I checked that preffered Fleet 'golden star' icon which (as the tooltip stated) should decide which fleet goes into Battle.. but the Game doesnt care and i end up defending with my colonisation fleet - and all other combat fleets standing by doing nothing..

so far i have to evacuate all non-combatants after reload the autosave .. but thats just bullshit
Last edited by Horschdt on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Attach / Defense with more than one Fleet

Post by ZedF » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 pm

On the battle manager before combat begins, you have to select which fleet is going to be used for *each* battle that you are going to have in that system that turn (up to a max of 3.) IIRC there are some smallish buttons on the top left side of the battle manager screen that let you access this.

Hopefully that small clue leads you to the right spot. If not, hopefully someone can provide a screenshot; I don't happen to have a saved game with multiple fleets in combat right now, with which to generate one. But rest assured the function you are looking for IS in there, it can just be tricky to spot if you don't know where to look for it.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Horschdt

Re: Attach / Defense with more than one Fleet

Post by Horschdt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:49 pm

The top left where you see how many battles in that system are fought in that turn, u can also decide if u want auto battle with those small buttons at that spot (beside the big one in the middle) yes, i know that. But no matter which fleet of two or three, or all three together i place on the tactical map, the battle ( or all three if there are three "rounds") starts with just one fleet .. and from what i think the one who is on top of the "Fleets" list at the strategic map.

ive never seen a battle with more than one fleet each side, neither from an Ai or my side (accidentally).. is it an option u have to set somewhere .. its published by paradox so i wouldnt wonder... ;-) and before someone ask, yes i play with the latest patch u can get from steam

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Attack / Defense with more than one Fleet

Post by ZedF » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Here's what I would do if I wanted to attack Soozle with 3 fleets and have each fleet fight one round of combat. Obviously this is just an example; most likely in this case I would want to just use the shuttles since there are no defenses in Soozle, and the repair fleet probably doesn't want to engage in combat at all. But it should show you what it would look like. You need to select each round and then select the fleet you want to use for that round.

First round of combat with drone fleet:

Second round of combat with shuttle fleet:

Third round of combat with repair fleet:

Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:44 am

I'd like to add that placing the fleets on the tactical map as Horschdt said does not affect which fleet enters combat, it only affects their position.
Using ZedF's example above, if you place all of the drone fleet, shuttle fleet, and repair fleet manually, they will all appear where you place them in their respective rounds. However, if you only place the drone fleet (don't place the other fleets), the shuttle fleet will appear where the drone fleet stopped in round 2 and the repair fleet will appear where the shuttle fleet stopped in round 3.

I haven't figured out how to "delete" the positions once they are placed.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Ian wrote:I haven't figured out how to "delete" the positions once they are placed.

If you drag the fleet to an invalid position on the map it should then be 'unset'. For example into the middle of the system's sun.
- Resok

Horschdt

Post by Horschdt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks for the answers, the solution for my problem was that i didnt know that i have to highlight the fleet i want in each round , once i saw the sreenshots it became clear. I thought it is due to placing or marking the fleet as preffered fleet.. anyway , Thanks!

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 am

Resok wrote:If you drag the fleet to an invalid position on the map it should then be 'unset'. For example into the middle of the system's sun.

Thanks

Return to “T.A.R.”