Loa Questions

Tactics & After Action Reports

Moderator: Erinys

Atlanton

Loa Questions

Post by Atlanton » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:46 pm

I've been searching around the forums/wiki to find the answer to my question, but for some reason, my efforts have been in vain.

After a Loa colony has been established, is there any benefit for continuing the support colony mission? I remember reading something a long time ago about how colony fleets may help eliminate the biosphere on a planet, but I haven't been able to find that information again for confirmation. Also, if they do in fact make a difference to colony growth, does fleet composition (for example, the number of assimilators) increase the efficiency of the biosphere destruction?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Atlanton on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saphiel

Re: Loa Support Colony Mission

Post by Saphiel » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 am

Yes, LOA colony support destroys Biosphere, and I think it's actually a must, because the colony itself cannot destroy Biosphere (don't quote me on this, I am not 100% sure on this last point).
The more cubes your fleet has, the faster it destroys Biosphere, fleet composition doesn't matter.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 pm

IIRC it's 1 biosphere per turn per 100 cubes in the colonizing/supporting fleet. I don't remember whether the cubes of the assimilator that has been used for the colonization count for that turn.

Atlanton

Post by Atlanton » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:44 am

Thanks for the responses.

I have a somewhat not related Loa question.

I'm playing a 1 v 1 with a friend and he's playing as Loa. For some reason, he's having difficulty invading/striking certain of my systems from certain of his systems. He says that the naval bases where his fleets are located are enough for the fleet compositions that he wants to attack me with and the system he's trying to attack is certainly within his support range. I've never experienced this issue, and it's particularly odd, because he can attack my systems from systems that are farther away than the systems he can't attack from.

Any thoughts?

Karu

Re: Loa Questions

Post by Karu » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:44 am

A few Questions:

Has the starting system a NPG Gate?
Is he starting with a NPG mission? (he should)
Are Gates set up for the way?
Is the fleet over the cube limit? (meaning it will not be accelerated) - so it slowboats with 0,75ly per turn.

Other things to consider would be the pathing bug - more prevelent with zuul (see zuul pathing bug).

Sincerly

Atlanton

Post by Atlanton » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:01 pm

It turned out to be the pathing bug.

He had made tons of intermediate gates with his capital as the origin. This caused every fleet to want to go back to his capital in order to complete the mission.

Karu

Post by Karu » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Give him a tip for his fleets (doable by all, but for loa even more so):

If your fleets are on "return" you can issue new commands to them.
So a fleet done with surveying could survey another star system nearby without returning to its base first.

As Loa it goes even further.
Allways start with deploy NPG mission, then survey, then colo - when its done the fleet wants to return home - dispend the fleet.
This is only a workaround because only in the first mission you can rebase and not when 'chaining' missions.
This should also solve his "home world tunnels" :)

Sincerely

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Karu wrote:This is only a workaround because only in the first mission you can rebase and not when 'chaining' missions.

Can't you always drag all the cubes of the fleet into Reserve and make a new fleet?

Karu

Post by Karu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:46 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Can't you always drag all the cubes of the fleet into Reserve and make a new fleet?

Yes you can :)

Sincerely

Atlanton

Post by Atlanton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:53 pm

That's actually what I suggested to him, since it allows such crazy expansion for the Loa. It certainly has made him more effective and hopefully fixed most of the pathing issues.

However, I'm have a similar issue with the Loa in my own personal SP game. The NPG gates in a particular system always get blown up because they're directly where the Suulka/Human node lines are. I'm trying to deploy NPGs using the idle fleets in system (with over 50k cubes) and for some reason, the only fleet that is available to actually perform the mission are in patrol in the next system.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I actually can't do anything with those fleets, not even patrol the system they're stationed in.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm

I think it's because you cannot deploy a NPG without making a mission to another system (therefore creating a "gateline").

If by idle fleets you mean ships in reserve, then it's normal (they're nor fleets, just mothballed cubes/ships). Aren't those destroyed/disbanded/sent to your capital if all of your fleets, planets and defenses in that system are destroyed?

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Most likely what you're seeing is a fleet without an admiral. It's a bug that happens sometimes when the admiral dies/retires for some reason and isn't automatically replaced (usually due to being in the middle of an active mission). Disband and reform the fleet and you should be able to use those assets without issue as a new admiral gets associated.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:55 am

This bug can also happen if you accidentally use an admiral that is being used to relocate ships using reserve transfer and assign him/her to also command a fleet. The admiral will disappear when the reserve transfer mission is done, but the fleet you formed up will persist without an admiral to lead it.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Return to “T.A.R.”