Manual!

Every Colonist has heard the tales of The Pit. Some say it doesn't exist. Some say it does. All agree only a fool would go looking for it.

Moderator: Erinys

castewarkp
Site Admin

Manual!

Post by castewarkp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 am

The Steam page link isn't live yet, but you can always nab and read the manual here;
http://manuals.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTSPI ... manual.pdf

Thamuzz

Re: Manual!

Post by Thamuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Yay! I've been wondering where that thing was.

NuclearHuggz

Post by NuclearHuggz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:14 pm

bump/ this should probably be stickied.
XImageXImage

Rutee

Post by Rutee » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Whenever I click on the link I just get a blank web page, and Steam doesn't have a Manual link like it did with SotS II. :(

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Rutee wrote:Whenever I click on the link I just get a blank web page, and Steam doesn't have a Manual link like it did with SotS II. :(

Original link still works for me. Steam also has both versions of the manual up as well (they are listed underneath the rating for the game in the STORE page for the game.)

Core Game Manual
Mind Games Manual
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Mark3

What needs to go into the Manual

Post by Mark3 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 am

Hi

There used to be a topic about what players think what should go in the manual.
I have a suggestion, but I can't find that topic anymore, so I'll just post it here.
If preferable, please move this post to the right topic.

I finally finished The Pit on easy. This would not have been possible without peeking and copying all the many recipes need in the Wiki.
I think the following fact really MUST go into the manual:
1.) You can not "beat" the pit or make it, without knowing all or most of the recipes.
2.) You can NOT find or get all, not even half of the needed recipes on difficulty easy.
3.) Conclusion: To make it to the bottom, you MUST play on normal difficulty and make several runs until you figure out all the recipes.

I think this really isn't giving away any of the fun of the game at all, but takes a lot of unnecessary frustration for beginners.

Kind regards,
Mark

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Mon May 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for the notes.
A number of people has finished Easy without a lot of recipes - they do help, but they are just another facet of the random good-luck/bad-luck built into the game. Having them definitely makes it easier, and can be important to have if you have a run with some other bad luck, but it's not critical. There are even players that finished the harder difficulties without all the recipes.
It might be important to drive home the idea better in the manual what a roguelike means, if that helps people get a better sense of what to expect. I'll have to ponder.
c

Return to “The Pit General Discussion”