Got a feeling im gonna get my first Hiver win

Every Colonist has heard the tales of The Pit. Some say it doesn't exist. Some say it does. All agree only a fool would go looking for it.

Moderator: Erinys

Svankensen

Got a feeling im gonna get my first Hiver win

Post by Svankensen » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:23 am

Hey fellas. Im consistently winning on hard with many classes, and advancing decently in impossible with the best (scout, ranger, psion). The Hiver, however, has always meant sure doom for me. So i decided to give it another go in normal. Now im at the end of floor 9. It must be the the improvement in my skills thats giving me confidence, because im pretty sure Rapari is gonna lead me to a win this time.

ThePit-20160710-061233-881.jpg

Seriously, i even have 3 rolls of duct tape (thats a set of armor right there).

Ciurrioc

Re: Got a feeling im gonna get my first Hiver win

Post by Ciurrioc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 am

Good luck :awesome:
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:01 pm

go man go!!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 am

Man, I *love* playing Rapari. It's like I'm watching a Hiver action movie.

:googly:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:55 pm

So far (floor 35 or so) Rapari has gone through 4 R&G specials, 2 Ri Xichizzacks, a Flak Jacket and currently favors a recently crafted an Impact Armor. 2 of those R&G and a Ri are still alive, but in sorry shape due to the lack of repair stations. The speed at which Rapari goes through armor was slightly increased by his acquisition around floor 16 of an Adamantium blade with reinforcement bots he named Qua'Ri, the infinite sword. He basically engages most things in melee, usually switching between his Maab and Qua'Ri, with his Starlance usually helping to bridge some distances, and the Adjudicator doesnt hurt either. As you can see, Rapari has proven to be a remarkable crafter, creating Laser and automatic rifles, Ay-Kays and even a Liquidator to aid on his efforts (seriously, that weapon is amazing). He is close to finishing his quest and has decent reserves of food, althrough the lack of armor has forced him to rest more than he would like to admit.

Erinys, in the book Hiver Warriors didnt seem to be dumb at all, i think Rapari is selling himself short. He may be a bit on the duller side compared to the other pit raiders, but they apparently can learn a new language in the span of days, master psionic powers of the highest caliber in a few nights, and develop skills a professional electrician would envy in hours. So i'd say hes still pretty clever by our standards. At least in this case it would be more "The Martian" than "Terminator", plus some obligatory fighting montages. Or, you know, Rambo. Yeah, ill go with Rambo. I would definitely watch a Hiver action movie about a ronin warrior decimating another clans army because they bothered and hunted him.

BTW, im always bothered by Cyborg Hiver Queens: They are NOT queens! They are princesses! We havent seen princes or princesses in the pit, and the ability to spawn those is the mark of a queen, so those must be princesses.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Its all part of their abominationess :twisted:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Svankensen wrote:Erinys, in the book Hiver Warriors didnt seem to be dumb at all, i think Rapari is selling himself short. He may be a bit on the duller side compared to the other pit raiders, but they apparently can learn a new language in the span of days, master psionic powers of the highest caliber in a few nights, and develop skills a professional electrician would envy in hours. So i'd say hes still pretty clever by our standards. At least in this case it would be more "The Martian" than "Terminator", plus some obligatory fighting montages. Or, you know, Rambo. Yeah, ill go with Rambo. I would definitely watch a Hiver action movie about a ronin warrior decimating another clans army because they bothered and hunted him.

You're not wrong. Hiver warriors are actually very intelligent and capable people. They are raised, however, in a pretty rigid social caste system which tells them that while they are Wuff Tuff Creampuffs who are born to fight and die, Hoo-rah, their little brothers are the clever ones who are going to figure things out, fix things, make ship go fast, etc..

As always, when you step out of your comfort zone and stop limiting yourself--growth happens. And you can surprise yourself. <3 Go Rapari go!

BTW, im always bothered by Cyborg Hiver Queens: They are NOT queens! They are princesses! We havent seen princes or princesses in the pit, and the ability to spawn those is the mark of a queen, so those must be princesses.

You're not wrong. However, they are not properly acculturated as Hivers, and I don't think the drone Hivers are aware that there is such a thing as a real Queen who can give birth to other female Hivers!

--Arinn

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:32 pm

I always imagined that the cyber-queen was the result of Bloodweaver or his followers/Pit systems getting ahold of a Hiver princess. Possibly his goal is to try and eventually produce a true queen, and so have a source of perfect slaves with a lot of biological flexibility.
Nerts to this space-crap!

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:58 am

So did you end up winning this run? Rapari just keeps getting harder in the late game for me because of the lack of psionics.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Its sitting on floor 38 right now. My girlfriend came to visit so i havent had time for Rapari. She leaves tomorrow tho, so i feel rapari should be wining soon.

skugge

Post by skugge » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:21 pm

Svankensen wrote:Its sitting on floor 38 right now. My girlfriend came to visit so i havent had time for Rapari. She leaves tomorrow tho, so i feel rapari should be wining soon.

Well maybe you could let rapari in on the action and he would've had the proper motivation for taking you to the finish line. :twisted:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:51 pm

ummmm a lil inappropriate :shock:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Ohdeargodsno.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Erinys wrote:Ohdeargodsno.

I gotta second that sentiment O_O

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:59 pm

After a month i found the poor fellah a tad disoriented, looking like this:
ThePit-20160823-003943-253.jpg

He was in floor 36. Apparently he has been going deeper and deeper, and is now obsessed with an Ape princess or something. As you can see his claws are sharp and hes well fed, but he was cold and underdressed. Apparently, besides his starting Ri Xhichizzak and a duplicate he found, the poor thing had crafted every armor he had ever worn. That meant I believe 4 R&G Specials and an Impact armor (love that recipe btw, its a solid armor that uses semi rare ingredients). All of them were in tatters except for the impact armor, and he was reluctant to even look at his impact armor, let alone wear it, unless the most vile enemies faced him. Which soon came to pass: There were 2 black and red morrigi he hadnt ever seen aproaching him hastily, so he prepared for a fight with Qua'Ri (his adamantium sword) in hand. He had just finished mending his wounds, so 2 morrigis seemed like something he could handle unarmored. Well, he did. They hit hard, but not terribly so. Their weapons did something to his chitin tho. Its never been the same since, losing a wooping 25% of their original resistance. He fought some other hard fights unarmored, and a few armored. In the last 3 floors he managed to craft yet another R&G special, which, again, is in tatters. He found a pocket tesseract. Kind of usefull, but its kind of too late for that. On floor 38 Rapari decided that he had enough. His instincs were telling him that the big fight was comming, so he took everything out of the tesseract well and left it in the ground. He had improved a lot on his deciphering skills, but accessing those wells always presented some trouble. Why did they need to ask you the exact hue of the room you are in in Zuul?? Screw it, lets not use them anymore, the time for stockpiling is past. It is time to spend. Then he began picking the very best: Lots of grenades of all kinds. Lots of them crafted by himself. Lots of energy backpacks. Shame he never found that other superconductor, he had these plans for a pulse rifle which he thought he could make come to life. He looked at his armor patches longingly. Those were the very best. Only princes with custom crafted armors ever got to own such a rare item, let alone use it. And he had 4. But the things were made from living steel, and living steel has character. Even with his best armor, armor made from adamantium polymers, they refused to repair it. Not advanced or interesting ennough. Anyway, other than a pocket tesseract, he hasnt found much in the last 3 floors. Except for the casing fragments. Those were a biggie. He got them from a Warbot which never ever touched him. It liked the feeling of the electricity of the Maab flowing through it so much, it actually let itself be torn to pieces, as long as you ocasionally let it taste the maab again. He managed to craft an interesting helmet, which has allowed him to avoid some nasty fights. And now he is found the final stairwell. He decided to rest tonight, and head down tomorrow.

ThePit-20160823-103821-693.jpg

Return to “The Pit General Discussion”